OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
7/20/21 6:01 p.m.

Bebopping along around 80 or so, on a long trip back from SoCal (CalClub auto-x was the business...), and all the sudden my speedo jumped around in 5mph increments, kinda freaked me out. 

The gf said that at one point the CC just failed outright, said she noticed the speedo moving a little. 

Car never lost rpm or anything, ran fine all the way home (though w/o CC, because it wigged me out a bit).

Anybody else had that happen?

Presume it's just a weird speedo/CC interface and affects nothing with reliability?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
7/20/21 6:11 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

What year miata is this? 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
7/20/21 6:12 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to OldGray320i :

What year miata is this? 

Sorry, 2000.  NB1.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/21 6:22 p.m.

2000 uses an electronic sensor in the trans, I'd start by checking the connection there and work back. Not sure exactly where the CC takes the signal from without checking the diagrams (might be from the cluster), but it sounds to me like an intermittent connection somewhere between the trans and that point. If you recently had the cluster out, checking for damage on the connections there would be worthwhile.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
7/20/21 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ok, cool, I'll see if I can find diagrams and/or wander down under the car and see. 

I'd changed out the trans fluid, maybe I bumped something, and bouncing down the highway did the rest. 

Cluster has never been out, though. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/21 6:46 p.m.

Given the recent service history, I'd be looking underneath for sure. IIRC it's on the lower quarter of the trans, passenger side, about halfway back. Attached with one bolt. I'm not sure how failure-prone they are but we do know it's 21 years old.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/21 6:59 p.m.

I have the exact same problem with my 99. I'll be following to see what you find out. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/21/21 7:25 a.m.

Hmmmm....I have a '99 with cruise, too, but I've never even tried it to see if it works. I should check that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6aB0S9fYhLhYGyF1uD0EdwlkB8YRQeOmzjesC6CADFVT0VpWGFrfapkiNX3EOpsf