sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/23 3:18 p.m.

I don't think we've talked about the Morgan XP-1 EV test rig...

built on the Super 3 chassis.  Morgan Company video about it:

but, I found this Fully Charged video on it both entertaining, and full of interesting detail about "the how and the why":

I pointed out to SleepyWife that it had more power and range than her Leaf.  She commented back that "no one would drive that 130miles in winter"... which really meant her.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/9/23 4:24 p.m.

I'd absolutely drive that in the winter! But if I start saving now, I might be able to buy one... in a bout 30-40 years! 
Might have changed by then, and very little chance of me being alive. 
Cool concept. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/23 5:04 p.m.
03Panther said:

Might have changed by then...

On the other hand, it's a Morgan. Change is not really their thing. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/9/23 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Very , very good point! 
This existing, is pretty amazing, when ya think about that. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
12/9/23 5:35 p.m.
03Panther said:

I'd absolutely drive that in the winter!

I would too, if it had heated seats and steering wheel, and there was a way to plug-in and power heated boots.  Those are a thing for motorcycles, right?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
12/9/23 6:51 p.m.

Looks way warmer than a snowmobile.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/9/23 6:59 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Oh, yea. But, as there is no such thing as a free lunch, those heated things all use very inefficient electricity. 
Dispite popular media, electricity is only efficient when there is no resistance. And that only happens at close to absolute zero. 
But it would sure be fun!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/9/23 7:01 p.m.

It looks the business. 

Not sure I would get along with the sound, or lack of it.

sleepyhead the buffalo
12/9/23 9:09 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Oh, yea. But, as there is no such thing as a free lunch, those heated things all use very inefficient electricity. 

Maybe, but modern heating elements in seats and steering wheels are very good at generating heat with low power draws, and they benefit greatly from the direct transmission of that heat via conduction.  There's basically no impact on range for the Leaf in turning those systems on/off (you can't even see the "ancillary systems" draw meter change); whereas turning on the blower/heater is good for 10-20% reduction in range.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/23 9:30 p.m.

Looks cool; I dig it!

sleepyhead the buffalo
12/10/23 5:06 p.m.

I thought I'd give some context to the "no discernable power draw" comment.

Here's the Leaf powered on, in Park:

Here it is with the headlights on:

And here's with the headlights and the wipers going (rainy evening here):

Having these on are ~300W, and don't impact range estimates when turning them on/off.  While the heated seats/steering wheel make no change on the "other systems" or "climate control" gauges at all.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/10/23 9:23 p.m.

Good to know, on the seats. And feedback from actual use. 
I've mentioned before that I've been a fan of ev since the very early'70s. And glad to see the progress, dispite the cheapest being WAY beyond my reach. 
Been 15 years since I bought any 12V gear for riding; hope they are getting more efficient, but ohms law can be hard to beat. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/23 11:00 a.m.

I do not know about the morgan, but I would gladly move that tech to my 124 spider in a heartbeat.

My next vehicle will be an EV. With my 20 mile commute (10 there, and ten back) around 300 miles on a charge will last me two weeks and give me some driving around time before I have to recharge it. I am really considering the top of the line Polestar 2.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/23 1:13 p.m.
03Panther said:

Good to know, on the seats. And feedback from actual use. 
I've mentioned before that I've been a fan of ev since the very early'70s. And glad to see the progress, dispite the cheapest being WAY beyond my reach. 
Been 15 years since I bought any 12V gear for riding; hope they are getting more efficient, but ohms law can be hard to beat. 

one way to think of it is that every time energy changes forms there is a loss. (Yes ohms law always applies)

gasoline energy > small loss > engine heat > small loss > water heat > small loss > air heat > small loss > skin heat, plus gasoline energy > small loss > engine power > small loss > alternator creates electricity > small loss > electricity runs HVAC fan 

is a lot more conversions and small losses than 

Battery energy > small loss > warm seat and skin

If you're losing even 5% on each of those small losses, it adds up to a lot. 

Finally, the cabin heating doesn't really 'cost' much in an ICE vehicle because the engine are already dumping massive amounts of wasted gasoline energy into heat (about 70% of the gasoline energy is converted to heat in an ICE vehicle), and therefore the cabin heat is 'free' because you are wasting less of a source that is already wasted.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/23 1:15 p.m.

on the original topic, I love basically anything morgan, so I did watch these videos. Thanks for the links!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/11/23 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I thought that's what I said, but it may not have come out that way blush

I do know people that don't understand why there have to be losses surprise and think that if the pretend there aren't, well, 

Back to the cool azz Morgan. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h0pEAqRfumddWxOKEKDVApVUu7LyGGZ1GT7sjbobI9Oy2dIQXpE7weJEhjPnvMcp