1 2 3
92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
10/9/10 2:00 a.m.

In reply to Xceler8x:

Paint job is full of win. That is all I have to chime in with..

Also, short bed pickups lowered of any make look cool and badass..

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
10/9/10 9:13 a.m.

would prefer el camino..

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/10 9:52 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: That truck is bitchin . . . more info, please!!

Sure man. What do you want to know?

tuna55 wrote: xceler8, do I know you from the 67-72chevytrucks board? I am Bowtie001 over there. You guys cheated. A lot. I sat this one out, but my team was in the Tunachucker Amazon with the Spaceballs theme.

Nah. I only post on this car board.

Well...yeah! We cheated! Look at that thing! But keep in mind, we weren't out for the win. We expected to be heavily penalized and were. We were just there to run and have some fun. We pointed by cars that were hounding us and up for the win. Just some good ole' boys, never meaning no harm.

Mad props to you guys for the theme. I saw you wearing the costumes all weekend. Really cool. Did you see the Planet Express theme'd team? Cool guys there too. They didn't have wicked costumes though.

alex wrote: Iggy's truck up there is seriously one of the coolest vehicles I've ever seen. Xceler8x's is right behind.

Guys, I can't take credit for building that awesome piece of awesomeness. That was done by a team member in Charlotte. I just rented a ride and he was kind enough to throw me the keys. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that renting race cars is the way to go.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
10/9/10 8:21 p.m.

I drooled over the LS6 What transmission is in use behind it? Suspension?

That truck is so full of win . . .

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
10/9/10 9:37 p.m.
ignorant wrote: http://jalopnik.com/5297014/oklahoma-home-of-the-sleepiest-sleeper-truck-ever this truck still makes my pants get tight.

YES, YES, Y E S.

But I still like your current oldsmobile better.

Xceler8x
10/9/10 10:44 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: I drooled over the LS6 What transmission is in use behind it? Suspension? That truck is so full of win . . .

Those guys pull LS6's for peanuts where they are. Those motors are plentiful. They then just put a carb on it, the stand alone msd box, and run'em.

The trans was a Ford toploader. Builder said he put a bellhousing adapter on it. It shifted like a truck but held up to that power without a problem.

Suspension was his own brew. That's the one thing he was vague on. I can say it had coil springs all around so it wasn't stock.

I'm hoping they bring it to a Chump Car race soon. I made sure they knew I was interested in driving with them again. Really cool guys.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
10/10/10 5:21 a.m.

If anyone wants to build one, i have a 1970 C/10 that i cant afford to get back on the road (the timing chain broke, and i got it all put back together and i ended up letting it sit for years until i figured out it wouldnt run becasue the brand new spark plugs i put in were no good, now it runs but needs tires, a new tranny and a heater core). Other than that its in pretty decent shape though.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
10/10/10 6:30 a.m.

If you actually have a use for a truck (and what homeowner doesn't?), then I'd say go for it. I've had my '85 Chevy C-30 for 10 years and it's been 100% reliable.

spdracer315
spdracer315 Reader
10/10/10 11:59 a.m.

I liked this truck from the movie 'Gamer'. Cant find much about it, but in the movie it sounded awesome and runs on piss and bile. Imagine the fuel savings!

ncjay
ncjay Reader
10/10/10 4:06 p.m.

I like pickup trucks, but have never had one make me drool until I saw the dually used in Fast and Furious. Hate the movie, love the truck. A large 4 door Chevy dually with 572 cubic inches and 4 drive wheels. Very cool. http://www.insideline.com/features/fast-furious-cars-1989-chevy-crew-cab-truck.html

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/11/10 11:27 a.m.
alex wrote: If'n I hang on to my '88 GMC work truck, I'm dropping a 383 stroker, TH350, LSD etc in it, and keeping it 100% stock on the outside. Probably leave the utility cap on the bed, too - you know, for a little extra weight over the rear for launches. Iggy's truck up there is seriously one of the coolest vehicles I've ever seen. Xceler8x's is right behind.

Alex,

If that happens and you ditch your 700R4 and it doesn't have a home...I could likely give it one. I'm paranoid about auto trans longevity and figure a spare is good...ultimately necessary.

Just something to file away in the memory bank for you.

[edit: Come to think of it...same goes for the tbi 305. That's the same drivetrain I have in my '92 OscarVan]

Clem

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/11/10 11:51 a.m.

THIS

has been dominating my subconscious lately...hopefully done for right around $2k

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
10/11/10 11:58 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

Can you share more information on the top truck? Sometimes I wonder about an LS swap into an S10 just like that, but with an extended cab since these aren't the most spacious things ever put on the road. Oh, and with some lighter wheels, I think those are Basset's and I remember them being stupid heavy vs. some of the aluminum wheels out there. But they definitely look the business.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/11/10 12:02 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: THIS has been dominating my subconscious lately...hopefully done for right around $2k

Those are full of win for me. S10's are stupid easy to make them run around corners really fast.

Brian

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
10/11/10 12:24 p.m.

I really like the whole hot rodded truck thing. I've actually been kinda looking for a truck since I bought a house, and I've been looking for something in a full-size model with a short bed and 2wd.

I stopped and looked at a late 70's Chevy C10 stepside over the weekend while running some errands, but they wanted too much for it. It's been sitting for a while, it has some "custom" mods already (light visor, billet grille, etc) but it also has a little rust (fenders, inner fenders, and cab corners-all stuff that's available and cheap) and it's in primer. No idea what was under the hood, but the price tag of $2000 scared me away. The for sale sign has been on the thing so long that it's curling up, so maybe they'll go down to my under-$1000 budget.

miatame
miatame Reader
10/11/10 1:29 p.m.

This thread needs more JEEP

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/11/10 1:55 p.m.

Unfortunately i dont have any info on the top S10 - its just a hotlink (shut yo mouth) from google images. But I really want a box S10 from the 80s + 3.8+ tiny fast spooling turbo + 5sp (from camaro/firebird?...I have alot of reading up to do) + LSD rear end from the explorer + mass hoonage!

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
10/11/10 2:01 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

The problem with the Camaro/Firebird V6 from the 4th gen F-bodies is the really short 1st gear. Also the torque capacity is questionable behind a breathed on 3.8 with a turbo. I like the Explorer 8.8 with discs and a torsen-type diff, I just wonder how easily packaged the 3.8 would be in there with a turbo to contend with. Maybe an L67?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/11/10 2:50 p.m.

T5 from the V6 F-bodies are the crazy, maybe just plain stupid?, 15 degree cant to them. Anything with the 90^ pattern on them will fit.

Brian

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/11/10 2:50 p.m.

what trans do they run in the American Iron series in all the GM vehicles running there? Perhaps the 1st gear issue wouldnt be too bad in a auto-x situation since you just race to 2nd/3rd and then stay there? just my .02 on that. I have to imagine that theres an answer to the what-trans-in-a-bo0sted-6-plus-teeny-pickup riddle right?

EDIT: thanks ranger, gives me a jumping off point

slefain
slefain SuperDork
10/11/10 3:13 p.m.
miatame wrote: This thread needs more JEEP

When I worked at a Jeep parts supplier I threatened to build one of these just to mess with my rock crawling co-workers.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/11/10 3:18 p.m.

AI prolly runs the stock T56/T6060 that came in them, if they can't go beyond stock. I'm not hip to their rules. Just have to remember the LT1 cars had the standard SBC/BBC pattern and not the top bolt LS pattern.

I'd pony up the bux and just get the QuickTime bell, like Vorshlag used in their BMW. Allows you to run a T5, which is plenty on a boosted V6 after you fix it once and for all during a rebuild.

The NV3500 that came stock in the 4.3's are garbage in trying to shift fast and hold together. Although, if you have "budgetary" reasons, it will work.

Brian

Xceler8x
10/12/10 3:10 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: AI prolly runs the stock T56/T6060 that came in them, if they can't go beyond stock. I'm not hip to their rules. Just have to remember the LT1 cars had the standard SBC/BBC pattern and not the top bolt LS pattern.

If I remember right there is only one bolt you can't connect if you're using a trans for a standard SBC and the LS series motors. Something like 4 out of 5 bolt holes line up. I'd get four really strong bolts.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/12/10 3:53 p.m.

5 of 6 bolts, std SBC/BBC to LS.

Brian

alex
alex Dork
10/12/10 11:32 p.m.

This thread will not die on my watch!!

Xceler8x wrote:
Strike_Zero wrote: That truck is bitchin . . . more info, please!!
Sure man. What do you want to know?

I want the recipe (and the source) for those cheap LS6s!

And Clem if/when my drivetrain comes out, you'll be the first one I call.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Tbf6oQKIW8rILN8yVEA3BLyfK4E12Z6N2cNTBaa9aXLSviqUQz4d6D1gI8IIlhl