schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
2/18/19 10:20 a.m.

I had the idea of collecting toy versions of all the cars I have owned in same body color (and in all but 1-2 cases same interior color but I plan to spray them at some point).  I have them in my office on a table made from a Red Bull F1 wheel.  Cars shown are Merkur XR4ti, 2 NA Miatas, 911SC, 924S, W124 300E sedan, E36 M3 coupe, mk1 MR2, Fiero, & Saab 9000 hatchback. 

I had to repaint the 300E which was originally Polizei white/green (Youtube has instructions on disassembling & customizing these cars).  Used acetone to remove decals that came on most of the cars. The red Miata and 911 are beautiful pricy models from Japan that are incredibly detailed for 1/64.  The rest are relatively cheap hot wheels/matchbox toys I found on ebay.  They are all 1/64 except the MR2, which is 1/57 or something, which is why it a little out of scale.  

Still need to track down a few more: 2nd gen Honda Prelude (only one I can find is expensive Japan model and I will need to repaint since mine was gold (!), current gen Audi A3 sedan (no one seems to make one), W203 body Merc C-class sedan (found couple on ebay but wrong color so will need to paint). 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/18/19 10:23 a.m.

In reply to schumithecat :

I want to hear more about the RBR wheel. Is there a story behind it?

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
2/18/19 10:37 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

ebay U.K..  it was surprisingly cheap to buy and ship.  the seller had a ton of parts from F1 cars.  it is amazingly light, 14" OZ wheel. Years ago I had a used Goodyear F1 14" slick from the early 90s but I had to toss it because it started to reek like oil with age. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CsfuzXXLlU778f9OpBu1V0zqz85B5wFffd6YuagRVvN6gUc1oOhkrULCQiSB7CK9