1 2 3
Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/4/14 1:32 p.m.

Yeah I called cortex up once to see if maybe I could piecemeal.

"sir the very very first thing you should do to that car is a watts link, then our sooper dooper coilovers".

It's a dd that occasionally sees vigorous mtn runs or an autox... I dont need no stinking coilovers...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/4/14 2:01 p.m.

Read up on the evil pony thread. Not sure why the guy got so upset at Tuna...

Interesting he's done most of what I'd like to do to our mustang. If a bigger bar fixes the unsettled feelign in the rear vs a watts I'd be very curious to know b/c hell yeah. (it's my 1 major gripe with the car other than E36 M3 shocks/struts)

My tracking number has shown up, but ups does not recognize it. :(

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
11/4/14 2:34 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

Went w/ Steeda Sport springs (1.0 F/ 1.5 R), D-Specs, etc. for a mild drop. Local road conditions were a major build consideration but I really love it for a good road car. Currently have the D-Specs @ 7.0/ 7.5 to full soft. Never thought a Mustang could ride this smooth. Need to do a build thread, maybe this winter.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/4/14 2:45 p.m.

Fasted. You have the tokico D specs? do you wish you went with Koni yellows instead?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/4/14 3:10 p.m.

I'm running the tokico D-specs as well but on stiffer settings - on my second set now. On stock springs. The only other thing I've considered was the Bilsteins or maybe coils for clearance. I think with better springs I could soften them up a little and still keep the motion controlled to the point I want. It is a DD/auto crosser right now but some track use isn't out of the question.

I think the 1" drop is a good compromise but I sure like the look of a 1.5 drop.

I keep thinking next time I replace the struts/shocks I'd like to lower it. And then that requires at least an adjustable panhard and strut bumpers up front. And possibly camber plates. And I really would like to have a Watts link to settle it down in bumpy corners. So really, then, the Cortex kit at $4200 isn't that far out of budget. Especially for something that increases lateral G by 17% on an otherwise stock car.

Mad_Ratel - you need a set of swaybars before you do anything else. night and day on understeer control.

Pics for fun:

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/4/14 3:19 p.m.

Damn. Tempting. If it was the 18x10's, I'm not sure I could stop myself.

mancha
mancha New Reader
11/4/14 6:30 p.m.

I guess that makes 3 of us with 05 satin silver GT's. Mine is a base model, with the only option being spoiler delete. I put on a rear sway bar from a 2011 Brembo GT, and what a difference it made. It's probably too much bar, but it does make the car much more fun to drive.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/4/14 6:52 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I'm running the tokico D-specs as well but on stiffer settings - on my second set now. On stock springs. The only other thing I've considered was the Bilsteins or maybe coils for clearance. I think with better springs I could soften them up a little and still keep the motion controlled to the point I want. It is a DD/auto crosser right now but some track use isn't out of the question. I think the 1" drop is a good compromise but I sure like the look of a 1.5 drop. I keep thinking next time I replace the struts/shocks I'd like to lower it. And then that requires at least an adjustable panhard and strut bumpers up front. And possibly camber plates. And I really would like to have a Watts link to settle it down in bumpy corners. So really, then, the Cortex kit at $4200 isn't that far out of budget. Especially for something that increases lateral G by 17% on an otherwise stock car. Mad_Ratel - you need a set of swaybars before you do anything else. night and day on understeer control.

I've contemplated sways but right now the unsettled feeling over bumps is my biggest issue. I've also heard that sways are the last thing you do as they are a tuning tool only after you have your springs where you want them...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/4/14 7:01 p.m.

Those would look nice on my Mazda....

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
11/5/14 1:12 a.m.

I know they're not as popularly modern, but American Muscle also has the 18x9 black with polished lip "Bullit Motorsport" wheels for a similarly ridiculous $65, which are advertised as slightly lighter than the AMR's at 23.2 lb each.

Click Here.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/5/14 6:25 a.m.

I liked those mostly b/c I like a lip on a wheel... (those 911 fuchs in my childhood dreams). but my wife absolutely HATES them... and it's her car.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/5/14 2:07 p.m.

Tracking status tells me they're sitting in my open garage at the house. c'mon quittin' time!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/5/14 5:37 p.m.

when I got home there was a stack of boxes. most were in good shape but one was a little dinged up

Unpacking revealed all of the rims to be in fine shape. The packing was well done. Extra cardboard on top and the rim face was covered with thin foam, then a plastic guard ring was snapped on, then covered with a tyvek bonnet before being plastic bagged.

The rims look great. Better than I expected, actually, and different than most I've seen on the road here. It's hard to see on the website but the center is very sunken. They are more curvy in profile than I expected, not a flat slab of spokes. I REALLY like them so far

I can't wait to get them on the car but it will be a few months till I'm ready to replace the tires. So far I'm very impressed. I may weigh them all just for kicks.

old_
old_ Reader
11/5/14 6:42 p.m.

they look very nice.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/6/14 6:20 a.m.

I ordered a set also, hopefully I can get them to fit; if not, I've wasted $269 on way worse things.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
11/6/14 7:04 a.m.

Nice.

And that's why I like silver, it goes well w/ charcoal, black, chrome, aluminum and SS.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/6/14 1:37 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Tracking status tells me they're sitting in my open garage at the house. c'mon quittin' time!

That's me right now. I want to go home and wheels damnit.

I have wider tires on my car right now as I mentioned earlier so tomorrow I'll be having them mounted on the new wheels for 70 bucks total at discount tire. (i bought the tires from them so I dont have to pay the retarded mount fees they charge for tire rack tires.)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/6/14 1:41 p.m.

Nice. I usually buy from the Discounts around here. Decent work, and they'll price match on tirerack. They also rotate your tires for free on any vehicle even if you didn't buy the tires from them, and will often patch them for free too. I've abused that long enough that they deserve some of my business.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/6/14 7:13 p.m.

Wheels are substantially more concave than I thought. I also can see why they are so cheap. some patches of the paint not being 100% (looks like overspray of the grey). Also if you feel behind the spokes you can feel where they did not grind off the casting globules.

Still love how they look. almost wished I'd gotten the guts up to do 18x10's all the way around...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/8/14 9:45 a.m.

one wheel his a bit of curb rash on it? it's not enough for me to care about. (it's very slight.) not very happy about that.

photo 20141107_142109.jpg

photo 20141107_142121.jpg

Car is filthy and only one side of calipers is painted...

old_
old_ Reader
11/8/14 10:03 a.m.

A scratch from the tire mounting maybe?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/8/14 12:34 p.m.

Mine showed yesterday, paint is good on all of them. Might be a week before I have time to test fit them

carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
11/8/14 12:37 p.m.

I gave in and ordered a set. I don't even own a mustang currently! . . . Figure I will find a use for them on something, and if not I can flip them for a few bucks profit.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/8/14 1:20 p.m.
old_ wrote: A scratch from the tire mounting maybe?

Discount tire called me up halfway through mounting to tell me they were scratched. Boxes were imaculate when they arrived. It is minor and the paint is fairly spotty on the wheels anyways. I may end up having them repainted at some point. Maybe I'm a sucker and should have pushed the issue. shrug

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/8/14 1:24 p.m.

fyi this wheel/offset will fit a 350z apparently. (vorshlag tested z wheels on their s197 at first..._

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e8sqMOyOuyT5ggfJ7rOmuPGrlcOfz5cX6vxgAETLrVMiS552d7p8TTI1OvpDLGS7