GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/16 9:31 a.m.

7:05.12 from the NIO EP9 supercar. 4 motors with individual gearboxes to handle 1360hp and 4671ft-lbs

https://www.youtube.com/embed/MnXzbRj-O2c

No full onboard video yet. This video shows some of the car's guts:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/P5CgJ10aul4

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
11/21/16 10:00 a.m.

Silent but Deadly?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/21/16 10:20 a.m.

First I've heard of NIO. That is fast though.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
11/21/16 1:33 p.m.

Curious if that is stock footage or the record lap as I have never seen anyone use the flat outer line for the Karrusel.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/21/16 3:08 p.m.

That was a well put together video, must have pretty healthy backers.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/16 5:44 p.m.
Zeitgeist wrote: Curious if that is stock footage or the record lap as I have never seen anyone use the flat outer line for the Karrusel.

The 956s/962s used the outer line.

Er, I thought they did.

I've seen SOMEONE doing it before, but extensive research is proving futile.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
11/21/16 5:52 p.m.

Amazing. That's very impressive.

But I refuse to get over the lack a screaming internal combustion soundtrack.

It's like eating your favorite food with some important ingredients missing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/16 6:01 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Zeitgeist wrote: Curious if that is stock footage or the record lap as I have never seen anyone use the flat outer line for the Karrusel.
The 956s/962s used the outer line.

I can see how a downforce car would get pretty upset on the exit from the inner line.

Knurled
11/21/16 6:04 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Amazing. That's very impressive. But I refuse to get over the lack a screaming internal combustion soundtrack. It's like eating your favorite food with some important ingredients missing.

You mean like the Subway version of the Reuben that does NOT have horseradish on it?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
11/21/16 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Blasphemy!

GameboyRMH
11/22/16 7:28 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I can see how a downforce car would get pretty upset on the exit from the inner line.

Entry and exit from the banked inner portion is pretty sketchy with any type of car, but a car with lots of underbody downforce would go through a huge downforce fluctuation as well. Taking the outside is still probably a little slower but much safer...every lap you mess up is another 7+ minutes gone, and on this car a big chunk of the charge too.

GameboyRMH
5/14/17 3:18 p.m.

Thread resurrection: This car has just taken the overall record for street-legal cars:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/05/fastest-road-car-lap-nurburgring-now-electric/

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/17 3:29 p.m.
The EP9’s 1360 hp and 4671 lb-ft of torque have made it the fastest production car ever

Is that A typo? 1360hp equivalent is awesome but holy torque Batman.

Screw the super car,I want that electric setup on truck. A big angry looking mud truck, blasphemy I know, what's a mud bog without diesel noises? 65"tires on 30x16 wheels fitted up this thing could go anywhere and climb anything.

Knurled
5/14/17 3:33 p.m.
RevRico wrote:
The EP9’s 1360 hp and 4671 lb-ft of torque have made it the fastest production car ever
Is that A typo? 1360hp equivalent is awesome but holy torque Batman. Screw the super car,I want that electric setup on truck. A big angry looking mud truck, blasphemy I know, what's a mud bog without diesel noises? 65"tires on 30x16 wheels fitted up this thing could go anywhere and climb anything.

That just means it needs taller gearing since it runs out of RPM quick, negating any torque advantage.

1400hp is still 1400hp.

jere
jere HalfDork
5/14/17 5:20 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
RevRico wrote:
Is that A typo? 1360hp equivalent is awesome but holy torque Batman. Screw the super car,I want that electric setup on truck. A big angry looking mud truck, blasphemy I know, what's a mud bog without diesel noises? 65"tires on 30x16 wheels fitted up this thing could go anywhere and climb anything.
That just means it needs taller gearing since it runs out of RPM quick, negating any torque advantage. 1400hp is still 1400hp.

If it's electric theres a good chance it doesn't have gears. The high torque is just what e motors do.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
5/14/17 5:43 p.m.

I'd miss the noise, but if this is whete we alrea are with EVs, count me in. Awesome!

GameboyRMH
5/17/17 7:43 a.m.

Full onboard video's out:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/c4MRydmz86E

Looks like it is indeed geared high enough to reach ~300kph with a single speed.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
5/17/17 8:31 a.m.

That is hugely impressive no matter how you view it, but I have to wonder how long that much power is available?

Knurled
5/17/17 12:21 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Full onboard video's out: https://www.youtube.com/embed/c4MRydmz86E Looks like it is indeed geared high enough to reach ~300kph with a single speed.

6:45!!!! I thought the fastest time ever (in competiton) was 6:46!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/17 12:32 p.m.

I would love to see a Chevy Bolt run for comparison.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/17/17 12:45 p.m.
If it's electric theres a good chance it doesn't have gears. The high torque is just what e motors do

Yes, but the single ratio also makes the huge torque number at the motor seem deceptively impressive vs a geared ICE. Take a 900 lb-ft 6.7 Powerstroke with a 3:1 first gear and a 3:1 axle ratio (ballpark ratio assumptions) and you've already got 8100lb ft at the wheels. Take the ACTUAL specs for a new Ford GT at 550lbft X 3.39:1 1st gear X 3.66 Diff ratio and you've got 6800lb ft at the wheels. This car probably does deliver more wheel torque at near-zero speeds than any other stock street legal car i can think of, but even if it does, you run into the issue of how much torque can the 4 tires accept from 0 rpm without slipping? EV torque specs seem really showboat-ey at first glance, but in the real world it may not be much quicker to 60 than another 4wd ICE supercar with LESS than 1400hp.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/17/17 8:16 p.m.

And then needed an ICE to tow it home.

GameboyRMH
5/18/17 2:06 p.m.
racerfink wrote: And then needed an ICE to tow it home.

Nope, they have a charging station:

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/17 4:00 p.m.

I saw EP9 and thought of this setting a nurburgring record:

I was shocked at how low the bar was

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
5/18/17 5:11 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

The noise isn't terrible. Not sexy, but sufficient.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hFrFuOjfk6fWQzWT0nqz4mDl1QxyJxCqFZr54tj8HJ4mglOnLswvybK2GgRjYYZI