1 ... 10 11 12
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/13/24 10:26 a.m.

Hmmmmm, one of my shop mates recommended these......  available 4 x 114.3, but only one size 15 x 7 with an offset of 6.95mm - spinner optional

w/o spinner

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/15/24 5:13 p.m.

Pretty significant view/moment.....  The drivetrain being fully supported by the car.  No jacks, or stand.   Yes, the cross member needs to be welded up,, and yes the "Trans mount" is a piece of wood wrapped in a box for now, but for transport purposes it should be more then adequate.

more to come......

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/24 5:17 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

Hell yeah, man, that's a big moment!  Congratulations!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/18/24 10:53 a.m.

on the wheels....  might have to revisit the springs as she is riding high, and firm.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/24 12:17 p.m.

I was thinking last night that we should measure the aftermarket springs on the car (at least for diameter of the wire) and measure the stock springs off the car for diameter, free length, and number of coils. Count the coils on the aftermarket springs, guesstimate the free length based on older photos of the springs side-by-side, and do some calculating.

Something is wrong. I have a really, really hard time imagining the aftermarket springs are 10% stiffer and 1/2" shorter than stock, given how high the car is riding, and given that it felt fairly stiff when bouncing on the fenders yesterday. I doubt the added weight of glass, fluids, paint, and interior will cause it to settle that much. 

Before having the springs remade, probably worth investigating and confirming the specs.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/24/24 11:31 a.m.

on to the next chapter......

needless to say........

more to come....smiley

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/24 12:12 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

I wouldn't worry about it too much until the car is assembled and at its full weight. There is a lot missing from the car right now and it will sit lower as you put it back together.

The springs may settle a bit, too.  We used to say drive a car for a thousand miles before doing a proper alignment, when we replaced the springs on B and G body GMs.  They would drop an inch or two from settling.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/24 5:27 p.m.

It might not hurt to loosen the control arm bolts roll the car back and forth several times and give it a few good bounces in between. If those bolts get tightened when the suspension is extended, it will tend to return to that position.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/25/24 9:34 p.m.

the parts car is just about ready to follow.... 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/24 11:26 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Thanks for the tip. We did drop it on the ground and bounce a little before tightening suspension fasteners. The engine was in up front, and oldeskewltoy stood in the trunk while I did the rear arms and panhard. We will have everything loose and bounce again once it is more assembled and closer to final weight.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/3/24 1:23 p.m.

so the donor is ready to follow.   3 tires that hold air, with one that holds air for a day, or 2.

The hood had to come off because those hinges were nearly seized - it took 3 of us to get it open from about a foot to where it was in previous post, it wasn't going back down....

... and some ingenuity to keep the rotted trunk lid from flying away.  

more to come.....

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/14/24 4:25 p.m.

The donor on the way...

more to come.... 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/22/24 10:19 a.m.
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/23/24 10:49 a.m.
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/13/24 7:30 p.m.

Donor on to it's new owner......  yep a fellow Mark II owner will strip it further.......   

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
29iv4ko4eG8PjjpXtWo4BaxCngDiqPnc8gxYLlpooeYRvFRJdTHfbLV98J16sWEq