redstack
redstack New Reader
7/21/11 12:38 a.m.

OK first of all the car

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/2501602190.html

So then the questions

1. Assuming that the rust is pretty well settled in, how hard is it to cut out and piece in new sills on one of these old 142's?

2. So this early injections system, is it possible to use a megasquirt type injection controller to maximize the giant 105+ hp that these tractors make?

3. Lastly is it possible to clean up that awful mess of an engine room on these early injection cars?

Remember when GRM did Volvo's. I can still see this as a fun autox and track day car.. Why I remember back in the day....

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/21/11 4:49 a.m.

Here in Ohio, that car would be marketed as "completely rust free."

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
7/21/11 5:59 a.m.

Yeah I would say that is a rust free car here in New England as well.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
7/21/11 7:53 a.m.

That's a bargain for such a well kept car. It would cost two or three times that much here in the rust belt.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
7/21/11 9:35 a.m.

That is clean enough for a car show in southeast Michigan

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/21/11 9:47 a.m.

That is amazingly clean. Here in easternish Ct.. it, too, would be a driving show car.

I would try IPD Volvo for patch panels, (if it even needs them after removing the rust) and their opinion. They seem to be the go-to guys for all things Volvo.

MCODave
MCODave New Reader
7/21/11 10:18 a.m.

Dude, if you don't buy it by mid-August, I will.

In regards to the engine compartment, it is only a mess because that car has air. That old-style compressor is almost as big as the engine, plus it gives you that big pulley that I believe is only for the compressor. Otherwise that early injection is pretty straightforward and makes for an easy to work in engine compartment.

Back when I had my 1800E, I converted it to a Sankyo (??? - just remember it was Japanese and small) compresser with a specially-made bracket and it gave me tons more space in the engine compartment. But I was in Florida - do you really even need air out there?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/11 10:32 a.m.

wow.. that is pretty rust free. Makes my 318ti look like salvage

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/21/11 10:53 a.m.

I miss Poulsbo. Used to live in Silverdale. Looks like a car I'd be interested in for the money if it were local. There is more rust than you can see in those pics - there always is, but buy it and drive it and have a ball.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
7/21/11 11:59 a.m.

Thats the one plus of the PNW - Clean cars (you'd think there'd be more corrosion due to the proximity to the ocean / sound). I'd offer to check it out but I'm just across the sound & its 1.5 hours to get there.

Keep looking though, I almost jumped on a couple 242gt's in the last few weeks (at half the price)....

Kendall

grinch77
grinch77 Reader
7/21/11 12:22 p.m.

I had a '73 142 the exact same color god I miss that car it's one of the should have kept cars.

redstack
redstack New Reader
7/21/11 4:33 p.m.

Yea I'm in Alaska at work, however my wife is in Port Orchard, hmm wonder if I could convince her that she should go buy it for me.

I have wanted one ever since GRM did their nice rebuild on that 142. I had a 544 in HS, it was originally army green and when I went to buy it it had been painted a Earl Shrive version of this green. Kinda nasty really.

But this is the land of Old Volvo's and I could certainly find a lot of help. There is a guy named Phil up on Whidbey that does some nice engine builds on Volvos.

Anyway I've talked it up enough that someone will come along and buy it up before I get home and put me out of my misery.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/11 5:08 p.m.

I'd check for rust around the front turn signals, too. My stepdad had a 142 of that generation and we were replacing one of the front fenders on an annual basis because the turn signal mounting had rusted out.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
7/21/11 5:15 p.m.

The E is the higher compression bigger cam variant b20. I thought all the 142Es had the overdrive transmission? A any rate, that is very clean, a great color to my eyes, and the 73 bumpers look much better than the next years monsters. Nice.

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/21/11 8:06 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I'd check for rust around the front turn signals, too. My stepdad had a 142 of that generation and we were replacing one of the front fenders on an annual basis because the turn signal mounting had rusted out.

There is a good possibility it wasn't just ordinary rust, but electrolysis acting on it, too. Those volvos have a bit of a reputation for errant current finding its way into odd parts in the car. Throw in some water, road grime, and a voltage leak through the turn signal, and viola, no more metal. Showed up more often in the floor pan, thoough. Still, THAT volvo looks great. My uncle had an identical one. Always liked the horizontal-moving speedo.

plance1
plance1 Dork
7/21/11 9:01 p.m.

what rust?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
7/21/11 9:34 p.m.

Definitely a nice looking 142.

I've never seen rocker patch panels for those, but I've never needed to look either. Check CVI.

As mentioned, the B20E is higher compression engine. Not hard to MS. A quick Google should turn up a number of cars. D-Jet works much the dame way but without the oxygen sensor.

The door panel is like the later 1800 (which took many interior bits from the 140 series). That window crank can be a fiddly beast.

I'd buy it if I weren't inundated with cars right now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NYE8xYPxGm8ve1wIPuY7y6kKKD7BEiU7asacKzglda2w6aTGbtjb5784KyvDfgfi