1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/23 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

In my case there was probably some kind of appeal process, but pursuing something like that based on an untruth felt like a road that I didn't want to go down, even if I think the tax is bullE36 M3 in the first place.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/23 10:17 a.m.

I recall TX going by what they call "black book" value.  They don't care how much you spent, they charge tax on their (usually way wrong) thought of what the car is valued.  I got totally hosed on an F150 I bought when I was living there.  I paid $6500 for it, but their special book said $10k so I had to pay the tax on $10k just to get it registered/titled.  There is an appeals process, but I was told by a tax office person that she had seen about 300 of those in her years and not a single one was overturned.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/4/23 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

GA is now the same way. Completely sucks if you are buying bargain price cars, parts cars, etc. I bought a non running MINI for $800, and they charged me tax on $8500. 

I went through the appeals process and won, but it took over a year and I was only refunded less than 10% of the discrepancy. Complete waste of time. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/4/23 10:27 a.m.

That's what happens when buyers routinely lie about purchase prices to save a little on taxes. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/23 12:47 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I would rather not pay taxes on a vehicle that has already been taxed, with my after-tax dollars

Neither would I, but here we are.

In Delaware they literally don't care if you paid $1 or $100,000 for the actual car.  You're getting taxed on low-average KBB value for whatever make, model, and trim the VIN returns from the database.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/23 1:28 p.m.
SV reX said:

That's what happens when buyers routinely lie about purchase prices to save a little on taxes. 

Tax the paycheck that buys the car, tax the car on purchase  every time it changes hands, annual tax err "registration" on the vehicle, tax on the fuel, tax on the mandatory insurance, sales tax on all the parts and accessories, tax on the maintenance labor charges from TWO parties, tax on the property the vehicle lives on.

berkeleyem, they get enough over the life of the vehicle, they shouldn't get a free pass for fraud by inventing purchase prices when you transfer a title. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/4/23 1:33 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Ukraine needs that money a lot more than you do.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/4/23 1:37 p.m.

I never understood how it's legal to tax a private sale for a purchase that had sales tax applied when it was first sold. Just keep on collecting more and more! 

AZ doesn't tax the sale, they just hide it in mandatory registration fees based on whatever they think the vehicle is worth. That's as wonderful as it sounds. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/4/23 1:45 p.m.

Somebody said how much taxes is paid on the bag of apples you bought?

Farmer had truck, diesel fuel, tree purchase, property tax, employment and SS tax, tax on his profit.....you pay income, state, sales tax..........and it goes on and on.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
12/4/23 1:47 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

I never understood how it's legal to tax a private sale for a purchase that had sales tax applied when it was first sold. Just keep on collecting more and more! 

AZ doesn't tax the sale, they just hide it in mandatory registration fees based on whatever they think the vehicle is worth. That's as wonderful as it sounds. 

Maryland calls it a "excise tax" vs "sales tax" for the same reason.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/4/23 1:52 p.m.

Yeah, NC has "highway use tax"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/23 1:58 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
brandonsmash said:

Maryland calls it a "excise tax" vs "sales tax" for the same reason.

I don't think Delaware has that much grace - especially since we don't have any sales tax.

At least we only get charged that tax when the title changes hands.  For normal registration renewal it's a flat $40/year.  If I lived somewhere that charged value tax every year, I'd firebomb the DMV.

Figuratively, of course.

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
12/4/23 2:04 p.m.

And here I was annoyed at a Facebook marketplace user that wanted me to video myself when I mailed him an automatic Civic ECU, seriously WTF. Told him I have it listed on ebay if you wanted buyer protection, buy there if he was so concerned. Paranoid I was going to scam him out of 50 dollar ECU that has very little demand in the Honda world and was happy to give away. 

Ended up selling it on ebay for the same cost days later lol...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/4/23 5:20 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I recall TX going by what they call "black book" value.  They don't care how much you spent, they charge tax on their (usually way wrong) thought of what the car is valued.  I got totally hosed on an F150 I bought when I was living there.  I paid $6500 for it, but their special book said $10k so I had to pay the tax on $10k just to get it registered/titled.  There is an appeals process, but I was told by a tax office person that she had seen about 300 of those in her years and not a single one was overturned.

my brother tried this in ohio with a 1yr old Lancer back in the day - his girlfriend was about to get it repo'd, so he bought it for "$100" so that while her credit was going to get obliterated, at least she didnt own it and they couldnt come get it (at least thats what my deluded 19yo brother and his idiot gf thought at the time). 

Not only did it still get repo'd, but Ohio came looking for the taxes they owed on the additional $9,900 the state said it was worth, and the state opened an investigation on him for attempted fraud (though it went away when they ponied up the loot).

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/4/23 5:21 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

Somebody said how much taxes is paid on the bag of apples you bought?

Farmer had truck, diesel fuel, tree purchase, property tax, employment and SS tax, tax on his profit.....you pay income, state, sales tax..........and it goes on and on.

There was a time when people threw goods into the bay rather than pay outrageous taxes on them...

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/23 9:31 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

There was a time when people threw goods into the bay rather than pay outrageous taxes on them...

That was back in the day when news traveled slowly and drones didn't exist, and they'd hold lotteries to raise money to build a bridge over a river.

Anyhow, the taxes are just part of the overhead we pay for participating in the hobby. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/5/23 11:21 a.m.
RevRico said:
SV reX said:

Tax the paycheck that buys the car, tax the car on purchase  every time it changes hands, annual tax err "registration" on the vehicle, tax on the fuel, tax on the mandatory insurance, sales tax on all the parts and accessories, tax on the maintenance labor charges from TWO parties, tax on the property the vehicle lives on.

berkeleyem, they get enough over the life of the vehicle, they shouldn't get a free pass for fraud by inventing purchase prices when you transfer a title. 

I absolutely agree with the sentiment 1000%. 

Doesn't change the fact that the government WILL get its revenue, and when 10% of the people lie about their taxes the remaining 90% WILL pay. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/23 12:01 p.m.
RevRico said:
SV reX said:

I pay small businesses in cash and always tip in cash. I like to encourage anarchy and lawlessness every chance I get. laugh

And since that's probably walking the edge, I'll stop there. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/23 2:46 p.m.
Toyman! said:
RevRico said:
SV reX said:

I pay small businesses in cash and always tip in cash. I like to encourage anarchy and lawlessness every chance I get. laugh

And since that's probably walking the edge, I'll stop there. 

I'm the exact opposite. I can't hide my income and therefore my tax responsibility, why should you get to? devil  (Before anyone overreacts this is just playful ribbing)

We went to an amazing Indian/Nepalese restaurant the other day for their Friday lunch buffet. They have a big sign on the register that says "5% discount for cash." I thought that was pretty amusing. Unfortunately I have gotten into the bad habit of rarely having cash on me anymore. During COVID many places just flat stopped accepting it. 

I used to be in the habit of carrying $3-400 on me "just in case."

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/5/23 2:51 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury :

Historically, it was not the amount of the tax, it was the "taxation without representation"  part of it. There was a war since then, for same reasons, but that is not a popular opinion theses days. And the winner always get to writhe the history books! (There. That should do it devil)

wae
wae PowerDork
12/5/23 2:55 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

This reminds me of the time I bought a Scion xB for my wife.  We were in Austin and it was in Houston at a dealer and it was $9500.  I called my wee little bank to give them a heads up that I would be withdrawing that cash and they assured me they would order enough for the day.  That message never got to the right person, so when I showed up, instead of getting 95 hundred dollar bills, I got 325 twenties and some very puzzled looks.

I transported it in a paper grocery bag.  The look in the finance guy's face as he had to ink test every single bill was not a happy one.

I sold my Excursion to a friend of mine about a year ago and he brought the money over to me in cash.  In a cardboard box.  In singles.

I nearly ruptured a lung laughing.  The bank, however, was much less amused.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/5/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

BTW, I saw a Bentley on FB in the same - odd? - green as yours. For $75. Kids ride on toy. Wanted to send the ad to ya; but can't find it now crying

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/5/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Thank you!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/23 3:20 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

In October 2022, DW and I went on a weeklong vacation trip to semi-upstate New York.  I got $100 cash out of the machine before we left, for convenience and emergency.

I'm pretty sure I still have most of that in my wallet as I sit here now.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/23 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yeah, I think the last time I actually needed cash was when we to the comedy club. The lot across the street is actually manned and he only takes cash, vs most of the lots downtown having a kiosk to pay with. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nELI1pmZd42IVAxjWEbylwLJj0KWal4Tyo4vvI0xSRfx16eYTHDKluMwUtHV9At0