1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/23 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Scott_H :

I think you need to revisit your sources. Tesla has been profitable since 2019 while spending a bunch of money on factories at the same time. This chart shows how they only made $1.85 billion in profit last quarter, though. 

Also, the 150-200% price premium is just hyperbole. It's not even close. You can get a number of EVs for less than the price of an average new gas car. The Model Y starts at $5k more than the cheapest Sienna Hybrid, or 19% - before any rebates.

An ICE car that's out of warranty could easily rack up $10k for a new engine, and data shows that battery life expectancy is pretty similar to ICE expectancy.

Resale depends on a lot of factors so it's hard to generalize, but KBB values our car at about 77% of what we paid over 4 years ago, so that's pretty solid. KBB says that losing 60% over the first 5 years is a good rule of thumb overall. Our car has depreciated about half that amount. 

You could have some valid points, but you need better supporting data. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
11/27/23 9:15 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Do the math on how much time you spend making trips to a gas station specifically to refuel an ICE :) It's not zero even if you're just stopping at a station as you pass by. Someday I'm going to do the actual numbers on that. Gotta get some real data on the actual time spent refueling.

But yeah, that's a long, long trip to make every two weeks. You could recharge while you're eating - I'm assuming you have to eat on a trip that long - but I can see why you might want to make it as short as possible. 

I have crunched all those numbers. I pack lunches and eat while I drive. It's healthier than road side grub, cheaper, and less time spent moving. I do bring a kettle bell and resistance bands with me on all my trips. I'll knock out some kettlebell swings and bicep curls at every fuel up or stop lol, so that's something that could def be done during a charge up. 

The other point is the infrastructure on I-10 in North Florida. From Pensacola to Tallahassee it's a whole lot of nothing. From Tallahassee to Gainesville or Jacksonville (depending on the route I take) there's a whole lot of nothing too. 

I do fly every now and then. Spirit has great round trip deals from Pensacola to Orlando for $80-160. The problems are the times they fly out and typically after driving to the airport, waiting on delays because its spirit, and getting to my kids, I'm typically only saving an hour or so of overall travel time. 

I also tow cheap cars I find back down to Orlando more often than I would like for friends and family so theres that too. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/27/23 9:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Scott_H :

Also, the 150-200% price premium is just hyperbole. It's not even close. You can get a number of EVs for less than the price of an average new gas car. The Model Y starts at $5k more than the cheapest Sienna Hybrid, or 19% - before any rebates.

I agree the hyperboles are hyperboles, but man that's a terrible comparison. Model Y ($44k MSRP) is closer to something like a Rav 4 ($29k MSRP). That's a 50% price premium. Model X ($80k MSRP) is the closest thing to a Sienna ($37k MSRP), if you can count those lame-duck rear seats as comparable to a minivan's seating. That's over 100% price premium for less space. 

Opti
Opti UltraDork
11/28/23 11:01 a.m.

Im not much of an EV guy, but Ive always liked the R1.

A couple months ago I watched Demuro or someone like him do a review of the Rivian and I came away at how thoughtful the design was towards ergonomics and utility. I also enjoy that the remote lock sound is a bird chirp.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/28/23 11:34 a.m.
Opti said:

I also enjoy that the remote lock sound is a bird chirp.

Except when it's Halloweensmiley

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nBJSFoIqs33lNMwPQR4AE33jZ2x5koq7edlsP4GQcwmg4gdqnlQft2zVip7G7JS2