1 2 3 4 5 6
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/30/09 1:31 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: OK, Cessna drivers...can any of you explain how air-cooled airplane engine design has any significance or relationship to liquid-cooled automotive engine design?

Virtually none. An airplane engine is a totally different beast, and mechanically cruder.

I'm fairly certain the reasons for a flat engine on a plane are not ones of performance. It has much more to do with space, weight, aerodynamics, and CG (less weight hanging off the nose).

Airplane engines run differently than car engines. Car engines rev and need to perform across a wide power band. Airplane engines are designed to run at a constant 70-90% power level.

Remember, in WWII the highest performance air-corps fighters all ran inline engines and naval aircraft all used radials.

And for the record, I'm more of a Piper guy than a Cessna guy.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/23/09 4:04 p.m.

Ok.. It's back on again..

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/23/report-toyota-reviving-celica-name-for-joint-subaru-rwd-car/

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/23/09 4:12 p.m.

This Celica fan is angry at seeing what they did there....

snipes
snipes New Reader
3/23/09 4:21 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: This Celica fan is angry at seeing what they did there....

93 celica I alway like your post so what is wrong here? Yes it looks like a Scion but building it is better than not building a RWD Celica.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/23/09 4:27 p.m.

that last pic...looks spot on with Toyota plain-ness. Sweeet

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/09 4:28 p.m.
ignorant wrote: Ok.. It's back on again.. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/23/report-toyota-reviving-celica-name-for-joint-subaru-rwd-car/

I would make payments on that if it was $22k.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
3/23/09 4:45 p.m.

Is it sad that I saw 2800 pounds and said "Nice!"?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/23/09 4:48 p.m.
snipes wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: This Celica fan is angry at seeing what they did there....
93 celica I alway like your post so what is wrong here? Yes it looks like a Scion but building it is better than not building a RWD Celica.

I don't care about the looks so much, i like new Scions probably more than most.

But a Subaru drivetrain? REALLY?!?!

Make it light, stuff the outgoing Celica GTS motor in there, it's good enough for Lotus, why isn't it good enough for Toyota?

Hell, put the 3.5 2grfe camry motor in the sucker, mount it like you did the IS350! (Oh wait, then people won't want an IS350)

How about updating the old BEAMS 3sge? It could EASILY make the same power they're speculating this motor will, and it'll be a damn Toyota.

I'm sorry..... this makes me sick. Almost as much as the JDM Toyota Cavalier. (yes, it exists, look it up, prepare to be horrified.)

I'm sure it'll be an interesting car, and i would love nothing more than it to be the next big competitor to the Genesis Coupe. But IF i buy one, the warranty will be voided the very first day as i rip that drivetrain out and sell it to COMPLETELY fund me putting a Toyota motor in it.

Yes i'm a gibbering, blathering, rabid fanboi.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/09 5:16 p.m.

Looks like the designer stole the RX8 nose lock, stock, and barrel and threw in RX8 wheels just to make sure...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/09 5:30 p.m.

From CARS

I like the Mofospec version ;)

PaulY
PaulY New Reader
3/23/09 5:31 p.m.

It looks good in an understated way. I thought north America wasn't getting the Toyota version? Personally, I'd prefer to own the Subaru as I'm not that crazy about Toyota and there doesn't seem to be a difference other than looks. I also think going with the rwd Subaru drive train is really cool, it's a completely different path for both companies. I just hope this car lives up to it's sporty intentions and the that the whole point of the car will be having driving fun for cheap.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/09 7:42 p.m.

I like his taste...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
3/24/09 7:47 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: <I'm sorry..... this makes me sick. Almost as much as the JDM Toyota Cavalier. (yes, it exists, look it up, prepare to be horrified.)

woah...they didnt even bother changing the body at all

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
3/24/09 8:10 a.m.

I saw this yesterday but I had a hard time believing it. How do they go from a fully rendered 3-D model (in the first post) to a sketch and think it is going to be released this year ("2010 Celica").

Nevertheless... doesn't look bad.. but definitely looks like a 50/50 mix between an Aston and a Tiburon.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
3/24/09 8:54 a.m.

Oddly enough, I think it will market itself better in the US as a subaru. While Toyota once had a lot of enthusiast cars here, they are seen more as a family ride. Subarus recent marketing with the wrx and sti have given them a sportier reputation. It's like being on bizarro world, but its the world we live in righ now.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/24/09 9:15 a.m.
sachilles wrote: Oddly enough, I think it will market itself better in the US as a subaru. While Toyota once had a lot of enthusiast cars here, they are seen more as a family ride. Subarus recent marketing with the wrx and sti have given them a sportier reputation. It's like being on bizarro world, but its the world we live in righ now.

I think Toyota would be highly surprised at the number of people that WOULD buy if they would actually build their own smallish RWD fun car.... The Supra/MR2/Celica guys have been CLAMORING for years for them to bring back something of the sort.

I know my home forum alone would account for 20 sales in the first year. And that's not just dreaming. These guys WOULD buy them.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/09 9:16 a.m.

I dub thee "Fujiyota Celipreza"

PaulY
PaulY New Reader
3/24/09 9:21 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: <I'm sorry..... this makes me sick. Almost as much as the JDM Toyota Cavalier. (yes, it exists, look it up, prepare to be horrified.)

That's cause the origional was so good they didn't have to change it. :)

Althought it did come with power folding mirrors, different rear tail/turn lights, different back seat, flair kit and dash panels. Plus the TRD kit which IMO was one of the best looking cavaliers they made, that and the turbosport.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/24/09 9:43 a.m.
PaulY wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
That's cause the origional was so good they didn't have to change it. :) Althought it did come with power folding mirrors, different rear tail/turn lights, different back seat, flair kit and dash panels. Plus the TRD kit which IMO was one of the best looking cavaliers they made, that and the turbosport.

Lol.

TRD Cavalier. I would probably rock that for the sheer absurdity of it.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/24/09 9:49 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I think Toyota would be highly surprised at the number of people that WOULD buy if they would actually build their own smallish RWD fun car.... The Supra/MR2/Celica guys have been CLAMORING for years for them to bring back something of the sort. I know my home forum alone would account for 20 sales in the first year. And that's not just dreaming. These guys WOULD buy them.

I don't disagree... while I'm not quite as much of a fan boi, having owned a Toyota in the past (as well as a Subaru), I'd be interested to see one as well... However, Toyota has a long history of being... well... conservative... with their model lines... so I'd guess they'll be in "wait and see" mode...

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington New Reader
3/24/09 9:53 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Is it sad that I saw 2800 pounds and said "Nice!"?

yes. what's sadder is that you're not the only one.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/24/09 9:54 a.m.
Jay wrote: How can they not offer the Toyota version outside of Japan? Every drifter-fanboy on the internet has been hailing this as the second coming of the AE86. Are they stupid? I know it'll be exactly the same car, but... fanboys! Those are your loyalest customers! J

We all wish there was a new AE86 or supra but toyota needs no advice on how to sell cars.

PaulY
PaulY New Reader
3/24/09 2:30 p.m.
mrdontplay wrote:
Jay wrote: How can they not offer the Toyota version outside of Japan? Every drifter-fanboy on the internet has been hailing this as the second coming of the AE86. Are they stupid? I know it'll be exactly the same car, but... fanboys! Those are your loyalest customers! J
We all wish there was a new AE86 or supra but toyota needs no advice on how to sell cars.

They do need advice on selling interesting cars.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/24/09 2:32 p.m.
PaulY wrote:
mrdontplay wrote:
They do need advice on selling interesting cars.

Aaaannnndddd i just realized that you drive a Cavalier. My apologies if i offended earlier, as it may have been interpreted as me putting them down. Got nothing against them. I would love an old Z24, but other than that, just not my thing.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
3/24/09 2:33 p.m.

[ed mcmannvoice-on]Paul is correct...give that man a cigar[ed mcmannvoice-off/]

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ufo1S21lQzwHJPsQxomrxHAYzLyjISmDfjmVSEJO43ujvJfiecaeJoeWyXGVrVDo