mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/24/09 1:28 a.m.

I just picked up an 84 chevette that needs some paint and body work. I've done paint and body work but satin paint is new to me. I'm thinking black or maroon maybe. Has anybody done this? have any tips or tricks? who makes good satin clear?

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/24/09 1:49 a.m.

Being that its a Chevette, you'll probably want it cheap, right? Get a two stage paint, i.e. base/clear and leave off the clear. Not the most durable way, but try to find a paint shop's mismatched boo boo and pick up a gallon for a song.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/24/09 1:54 a.m.

I want it cleared.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
3/24/09 2:04 a.m.

Put a flattening agent in the clearcoat then.

Shawn

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
3/24/09 9:50 a.m.
mrdontplay wrote: I want it cleared.

Why? Get a single stage satin paint, no clear. Check out Eastwood for their Hot Rod Flatz line of single stage satin paints.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/24/09 10:06 a.m.

This is relevant to my interests.

Celica needs body work and paint job, and i like black, but don't want the metal flake black. RIght now it's jet black, no flake, and looks amazing. (At least where the paint ISN'T berkeleyed.)

Satin might be just what the doctor ordered.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/24/09 10:57 a.m.

the hod rod flatz paint looks more flat than satin. I want some gloss just not much.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/09 11:02 a.m.

Like Shawn said, there is flattening agent that can be added to any clear coat.

Personally, when I paint the Bug of love I will be adding flat, matte, gloss and super gloss aspects to the paint,

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
3/24/09 8:06 p.m.
mrdontplay wrote: the hod rod flatz paint looks more flat than satin. I want some gloss just not much.

There are good quality satins in a single stage as well, I dont much see the point in clearing a flat or satin job (then again I dont often bother with bc/cc at all)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
3/24/09 9:52 p.m.

If you want black with a tiny bit of sheen use one of the following:

John Deere Blitz Black

DP90 primer

Cheap, easy to spray.

Shawn

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
npUKsYgcpTEiHVHVa2O413tDPQ21IEuHiWy8OTaOJzU820nBGcIhkuSJeCKJYnIQ