1 2
noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/13 8:47 a.m.

42 acre race car track site, MD

It would be interesting for this to happen.. Yes it would..

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/11/13 8:49 a.m.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
11/11/13 8:55 a.m.

This it?
 photo UpperMarlboroMD_zps2cd1f8c3.png

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/13 8:59 a.m.

That would make a fun rallycross site.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/11/13 9:01 a.m.

That seems like ton of money for what is basically acreage with a dilapidated race track on it.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
11/11/13 9:02 a.m.

I've heard of that before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlboro_Motor_Raceway

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/11/13 9:05 a.m.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
11/11/13 9:08 a.m.

I looked up what a 40 acre parcel goes for in the UP. Starting at....

wait for it...

$20,000.

Most are land locked without easement, though.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
11/11/13 9:12 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: That seems like ton of money for what is basically acreage with a dilapidated race track on it.

Agreed; they seem to have a couple zeroes too many on that price tag.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/13 9:16 a.m.

Now where'd I put my winning lotto ticket?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/11/13 9:42 a.m.

I've explored around on the old Upper Marlboro site before, development in the area has built up too much to even dream of using it for motorsports again, even if the asking price was even 1/10th of the asking price. I believe that Summit Point's next track (with land already procured) is going to be a replical of the Upper Marlboro track. That being said with the number of street racing incidents (and deaths) in the Waldorf, Upper Marlboro area, there needs to be another dragstrip between Capital and MIR.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/13 9:45 a.m.

There's a lot of fast electric vehicles running around these days. Just sayin......

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/11/13 9:57 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
bravenrace wrote: That seems like ton of money for what is basically acreage with a dilapidated race track on it.
Agreed; they seem to have a couple zeroes too many on that price tag.

I agree, I 'd at anyone thinking $166k per acre was a good deal.......if it were to someone, I'd rent a grader and build a rallyx course on our 800ac and offer it for the screaming deal of $159k per acre.....yea, the family would be cool with $127 mil...

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/11/13 10:48 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:

It's cool to look at this shot, then go back to the recent satellite photo and see how the track appears through the trees. I didn't catch the whole thing at first glance.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/11/13 11:36 a.m.

If I won the lottery I would buy that, put a house on it and invite all of you over for beer and racing.

Not necessarily in that order.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/13 11:57 a.m.

This is a Craigslist Crackhead post. Old thing for sale, cool and fun with some historical value, seller thinks it's worth literally orders of magnitude more than it actually is.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/11/13 12:46 p.m.

On CL no less...

Marlboro back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h9OLNQDxwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOjRGlioj2o

I might have to make a scavenger run for a piece of it.

captdownshift
11/11/13 2:44 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

not much of anything left to scanvenge, i made a trip down about 6 years and virtually nothing from the racing era was left

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/11/13 2:53 p.m.

With one less zero someone might buy it. With two less zeroes I'd buy it. With that many zeroes, ain't nobody gonna buy it.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/11/13 2:56 p.m.

Wait, that's// THAT many 0's? Good lord!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/11/13 3:02 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

I had to count them a couple of times to make sure.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
11/11/13 3:03 p.m.

I hope the EPA/DNR or who ever it is that does ground testing has cleared the site for oil/gas/petro type things. You'd hate to drop $7mil and have some agency step in and say "Now what are you going to do about your small environmental catastrophe?"

captdownshift
11/11/13 3:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: With one less zero someone might buy it. With two less zeroes I'd buy it. With that many zeroes, ain't nobody gonna buy it.

With 1 less zero I'd get a group of 10 people together to buy it. With 2 less I'd buy it myself and host rallycross (USA and euro styled), rallysprint (using some of the surrounding wood area with the aid of a bobcat), LeMons, Chumpcar and vintage racing.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/11/13 3:09 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to JFX001: not much of anything left to scanvenge, i made a trip down about 6 years and virtually nothing from the racing era was left

I did see a couple of things in the pics that I'd want.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
11/11/13 3:11 p.m.
RossD wrote: I hope the EPA/DNR or who ever it is that does ground testing has cleared the site for oil/gas/petro type things. You'd hate to drop $7mil and have some agency step in and say "Now what are you going to do about your small environmental catastrophe?"

It is up to the purchaser to figure that out. Its called doing your due diligence. The EPA or state only comes in after the E36 M3 hits the fan. And if its the EPA, it must be really bad.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xr4KCKowTFXHldkjkx5ghG0fLDGs6cv76RlMJKjpEr9s7cSJCpwfwyrQlcOakQX6