1 2 3
mtnjam92
mtnjam92
7/24/16 10:32 p.m.

I know its an old thread but was wondering where i could get one of those shafts. I did the same exact thing and am looking for a new one. Fornetti14?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/24/16 11:11 p.m.

Tragic situation but for future reference in any automatic you should be able to get the engine and transmission completely flush without cranking any bolts, and needing to do so usually means something is going wrong (or about to). I spent two years pulling transmissions for a living and broke a couple.

The only time you wouldn't be able to get an engine and tranny flush to each other on an auto is if the dowel pins or their holes have a serious buildup of corrosion.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/16 4:27 a.m.

Yes, I have a few of them!

watnow
watnow
3/21/17 9:06 p.m.

I think that I just screwed mine up.. won't know for a few hours though.

watnow
watnow New Reader
3/21/17 9:08 p.m.

yep, I got the torque converter out but the other part of the shaft is stuck in the tranny..

fornetti14
3/21/17 9:24 p.m.

It's not fun fishing it out. I'll have to check my stash to see if I have any of these left.

watnow
watnow New Reader
3/22/17 10:28 p.m.

I talked to the owner of a local auto shop earlier. She had a tech do this a few years ago. It damaged the pump and a little while after the tranny blew up and the shop had to eat the cost. He doesn't work there anymore. They are doing heads on a 2007 legacy tomorrow... I own a 2007 legacy today. They said to stop by tomorrow for answers and whatnot. Apparently the mechanic knows alot about this stuff.

watnow
watnow New Reader
3/22/17 10:31 p.m.

I'd like to know how Woody's tranny pump held up over time. I don't like time bombs.

watnow
watnow New Reader
3/22/17 10:35 p.m.

It won't let me send him a message because an Admin needs to approve me? Ain't nobody got time for that!

jmathis
jmathis
4/25/17 12:42 p.m.

In reply to fornetti14:

Do you have any more pump drive shafts with the sealing ring?

fornetti14
4/25/17 2:32 p.m.

In reply to jmathis: Yes, PM me your email. I have good used pump shafts (with that little split ring) and if you are in the Midwest they are $45 shipped via USPS ($5 more if you are far away)

rhodajean25
rhodajean25
6/14/17 10:55 a.m.

In reply to fornetti14:

DO you still have any of these pump shafts? Will it fit a 2005 subaru legacy?

fornetti14
6/14/17 11:02 a.m.

In reply to rhodajean25:

Yes I have a few different styles, so I'll update the thread with some pictures. I think Woody's Subie was a newer one and the pump shafts I have will work.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/17 11:25 a.m.

My car was a 2005.

rhodajean25
rhodajean25 New Reader
6/14/17 11:46 a.m.

In reply to fornetti14:

Great thank you! My timing belt broke and husband replaced valves and put it all back together engine runs great but the car won't go into gear to move he tore it back apart and discovered this piece is damaged so we need that to get it fixed and am having a lot of problems finding one so I really appreciate your help. Please let me know cost.

rhodajean25
rhodajean25 New Reader
6/14/17 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Thank you! Did you have any issues after you replaced it?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/17 1:38 p.m.

No, it ran fine, but I didn't keep the car for very long either. That had more to do with wanting another Honda than about any fear of a transmission problem though.

fornetti14
6/19/17 7:56 a.m.

I have both style converter shafts, so let me know which one you need.

If it was indeed started and run I fear the transmission is ruined. The people that I have helped couldn't get the car to turn over when this happened.

rhodajean25
rhodajean25 New Reader
6/19/17 10:02 a.m.

In reply to fornetti14:

How do I know which style it is I have a picture but it won't let me send one not sure how it works on this site.

cnix
cnix
2/1/19 12:51 p.m.

In reply to fornetti14 :

I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but like so many others, I boneheadedly did this (not my first subie motor install either!). I only joined this form to send a message to fornetti14 but like a previous poster mentioned, I cannot send because I haven't been approved by an admin. So, fornetti14, are you still around and do you still have these shafts? I have an 06 Forester X that I broke. Thanks! 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/1/19 5:45 p.m.

First rule:  Never force the convertor when you install it on the transmission

second rule:   Make sure it engages the pump.

third rule:  It should spin freely

fourth rule:  when you bolt the bell housing together the converter should just touch the flex plate and still spin freely before you bolt it up.

I have used these rules on many transmission installs.   Never had to pull one out.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/19 5:55 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Difficulty:  Fords.

Especially anything with a 4 cylinder Duratec and you can't even see the stud, you have to work with finger-eyes.

At least you don't have to worry about getting all the bolts in before tightening them down.

fornetti14
2/1/19 6:50 p.m.

In reply to cnix :

I still have a few of these, but it would help if you could send a picture to:   fornetti14@yahoo.com  

Keep bumping the thread, it's all relevant to someone!  Between this tread and the one on the 2.5RS board I think we've saved many a Subie transmission.

subienubie22
subienubie22
4/3/22 12:33 a.m.

Time to revive and old post

Hey fornetti14. Got a question about this issue you seem to be the go.to for help on this kind of situation. Hopefully you're still around

fornetti14
4/3/22 9:39 a.m.
subienubie22 said:

Time to revive and old post

Hey fornetti14. Got a question about this issue you seem to be the go.to for help on this kind of situation. Hopefully you're still around

I'm a few years older and I'm still around!   Email or PM me if that is easier for you.  fornetti14@yahoo.com

I send out a few of these every year and I still have some used pump shafts in my garage.  I've had close to 70 Subaru's over the last 20 years.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qtReQcIE0X2s66S8qtn2vWoV9TRK5btbRT2iiMQqJkBwRLhY8TAa6XWUzLSlVYfi