1 2
ARrotard
ARrotard New Reader
7/23/22 4:53 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I think this is a good subject for GRM to test. Look,  my opinion differs from yours. We are both good smart people with experience  on the subject. 

frenchy

I'm ready for this towing tire test. Have I missed it or are the powers that be not listening to us?

Jimmyu
Jimmyu
7/24/22 8:46 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

When did I say anything about balance?  I can answer that.  I didn't say anything about balance.  And if you think that balance and alignment are the only things that can cause an oscilation, you're mistaken.  I respect you too, but you're not reading what I'm typing.  You're talking about near-death experiences because of a tail-heavy load.  I'm talking about side forces caused by towing seen by the sidewalls.

Take a perfectly-loaded trailer.  Put it behind the same vehicle and only change the tires between E-range and P-metric.  Sidewall deflection has a TON to do with controlling side loads caused by towing.  How can you not agree with that?

Why are you talking about balance?  No one has said anyting about balance.  In fact, I just ctrl+F'ed and you're the first person to use the word balance.  Stop saying balance.  We're talking about tires, not how to load a trailer.

All I'm saying is that a squishy tire is less able to prevent deflection under side loads than a not-as-squishy tire and you're spouting stories about a generator wedged under a car.

Fair enough. I'm sorry I didn't make the connection clearer.  I will agree that if a trailer is properly balanced and wheels properly aligned so it's not pulling the trailer one way while the tow vehicle is going another  an LT properly inflated has a stiffer sidewall than a P series tire properly inflated. 
       My contention is  that those two items. Alignment and balance have much more to do with sway than sidewall strength.  
  Let me see if I can use your argument to explain it better.   
  Let's take a mushy soft car, a big Lincoln or Cadillac  and drive it as hard as possible around a race track. Nope, it's not going to go as fast as a stiffly sprung car, but while the under steer will be horrible. It will go into those corners taking a set and heeled over but unless the driver is wildly over steering  it'll just be slow.   
     A trailer out of balance or out of alignment will go around those race track corners constantly changing directions, pulling the tow vehicle one way and then the other. Making  the steering impossible to catch up or predict. Changing to still sidewall tires won't change that. 
Whereas the balanced trailer, aligned trailer will simply follow the tow vehicle.   

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wIEbQIl1ykSl4kQksrsTl9u5KdTqeO4WUwcZdQ903HelY3i0jpSYEIV8UTIRv1Y2