JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
12/1/09 7:37 p.m.

A friend of mine and I have been co-driving a TR6 at autocrosses for the last 10 years. Last year, the engine was suffering from low oil pressure and starting to make some scary knocking noises, so we pulled it for a rebuild. I suspect the triple DCOE Webers are washing down the cylinder walls with fuel that is ending up in the oil. To me, EFI seems to be a better way to get roughly the same power with improved controllability.

What do you guys think? The engine already has enough mods to make use of the extra flow the Webers provide. We also have an older Electromotive direct-fire ignition, so do not need spark control from the EFI (unless there's some particular advantage to coupling the fuel and ignition management). I'm just getting started looking at info on Megasquirt's website, but so far this seems very doable. That, and I've been itching to try it for years. Or maybe I'm just tired of smelling like unburned hydrocarbons.

Raze
Raze Reader
12/1/09 7:49 p.m.

MegaSquirt shall set you free, after a painful trial by fire

Seriously though, if you've thought about it, go for it! Just read the manual a few times, figure out your options, ask over on MSEFI any specific questions, and then go after a kit someone can provide support for --> This is where I plugg DIYAutoTune and Matt Cramer who posts on MSEFI and also here as MadScientist, we blew out some components on ours after it was running for 2 years by accidentally bridging some components on the board and within a few posts Matt had us pointed in the right direction and we had it fixed the following weekend. I can't stress enough asking questions as you go, instead of throwing your hands up in frustration, being diligent and asking questions will get you a long way with MegaSquirt...

For you I would start searching TR6 conversions from carb to EFI and what all you'll need there first, then worry about MS...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/1/09 8:51 p.m.

Yeah, I'd squirt that thing. MS 1 V3.0 board, control the spark too with squirt-n-spark extra code. Buy everything you need from DIYAutotune.com (GRM advertiser) and also a the best place to get stuff. You can probably use your existing dizzy for timing. I'm doing that on a 22R motor. If the TR6 has points or some type of historic ignition pickup, that's enough.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/09 9:25 a.m.

You could pick up a little extra flow as well by replacing the webers with EFI throttle bodies Pierce Manifolds, TWM Induction, Jenvey, etc. The EFI throttle bodies fit in place of the webers and they use injectors instead of floats and needles.

Otherwise, going megasquirt on that won't be too crazy. Just tune it with a wideband oxygen sensor and you'll get pretty close.

Here's a shot of my 924's motor with a set of TWM throttle bodies. I have a MS1 V2.2 board to go with it along with a Ford EDIS solution for distributorless ignition.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
12/2/09 9:58 a.m.

Yes. Please.

I'd love to see this done, and I think the finished product would show a big improvement in both power and flexibility. Hell, you'll probably even increase your fuel economy. You can't go wrong with DIY autotune. Good guys, great knowledge base.

Then bring it to the Mitty so we can check it out!

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
12/2/09 3:39 p.m.

Google "Teglerizer"

Pretty much everything you'll need to know. Anyone who's been to Carlisle has probably seen his car.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
12/2/09 9:24 p.m.

Here's how the engine compartment looked 7 years ago. It's much dirtier now.

The Electromotive ignition uses a toothed trigger wheel and provides a tach signal, so the ignition should support EFI as is. The hardest part of adding EFI seems to be the tuning, including selecting proper TB and injector size. The fuel system plumbing will take some work, but a low-pressure fuel pump is already in the trunk (so the wiring is done). I was looking into the TWM throttle bodies, and those look nice (maybe a little pricey).

This will definitely be a learning experience.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/2/09 9:28 p.m.

280z FI stuff is probably right in the ballpark. Good starting point, I think.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
12/2/09 10:10 p.m.

My buddy just ordered some sort of fi system for his tr6. I think it uses some gm bits.

Joey

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/09 10:11 p.m.

280Z stuff is a good idea. The layout is pretty much the same

RossD
RossD HalfDork
12/3/09 7:38 a.m.

(Kinda on topic) What kind of intake air velocity should be had for lower RPMs to maintain some sort of trottle response for street driving?

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
12/3/09 8:55 a.m.

Most EFI injectors are capable of flowing a lot more than they're asked to.

ITB's look nice (IIRC, Pierce sells a set that will bolt right on to your existing Weber manifold, which may make things easier)... but it's hard to beat the simplicity of the set-up Paul built and installed on FIS6 using a Ford 5.0 TB (he ended up switching to a smaller TB due to the 2.0L engine). One advantage of these is a few bits are integrated, such as the IAC valve and the TPS. Plus, they're easy and cheap to find.

Another option may be going to a PRI carb set-up, which are apparently much easier to tune than Webers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5RHd4xcIfZs3bYDBr6hvuGTHYHP6T2CXCaK4gTAp2qK9c2VaQ4odeswFU1rcrLP2