Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
3/4/20 5:48 p.m.

So I've been stuck at home the past couple of days with a nasty cold. Now it could be I'm hopped up on cold meds but I don't think so.  There's a Yamaha commercial where most of the mounts come sliding around corners except one. A guy on a quad is shown traversing and knarly rutted corner but the thing had tons of understeer!!! No, No, No, I mean who approved this ad?

This of course got my A.D.D brain ratcheting along even faster than normal (is this possible?) and it occurred to me this heinous crime against automotive humanity gets perpetrated all the time. The slow motion SUV understeering through the snow shots are clearly morally wrong! Who raised these people? I mean nothing says driving appliance like understeer.

It's been a long time since I went to Catholic school but I do recall the two most important lessons of Sister Mary Slidejob.

1. Thou shall not understeer.

2. Go forth and oversteer.

Heathens.........................Hopefully they'll be smote. 

Fortunately for me there are lots of Dodge ads on TV. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
3/4/20 5:53 p.m.

Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us as to exactly what sort of cold meds you're allegedly not hopped up on?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
3/4/20 5:59 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Asking the important questions

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/4/20 6:00 p.m.

But was it grounded to the ground?

_
_ Dork
3/4/20 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I've been seeing it a lot. They are taking advantage of the average consumer that has absolutely no idea what is going on. in fact, the idiots behind most of these car commercials are themselves an average consumer that has absolutely no idea what is going on. This is in fact known as the blind leading the blind.

what I pictured happen is they get the footage rolling, the guy on the quad or in the jeep or whatever the hell takes his first lap out. He attempts to do something like oversteer. But, it won't work. There are too many nannies involved. Unfortunately, this is the only candid shot they actually got the entire day. Which makes for a good footage. 

I have to assume the rest of the day is spent watching the stunt driver attempt to defeat the nannies, only to be defeated himself. Once the footage hits the cutting room floor, the understeer shot is all that remains.

It really is tough being among the 1% when it comes to car topics. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
3/4/20 6:53 p.m.

@02pilot not sure what brand as the wife gave them to me.........I think the wrapper said something like peyote or sweat lodge?

The first thing one learns as a jackass teenage car guy is handbrake = oversteer. The first thing current jackass teenage  car guys learn is pull abs fuse = oversteer. 

As for my perception of car commercials; whenever I see those adds for cars featuring emergency braking I think they say "if your a moron who doesn't pay attention our car is for you"  

As for why understeer is morally wrong.

Things you can do with understeer: Continue drive straight when the road turns, Hit the outside wall and tear up a perfectly good set of front tires

Compare this to the things you can do with oversteer: Have fun, turn the car rapidly, enter turns really fast and cleanse your colon at high speeds..............clearly the way to go.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
3/4/20 9:40 p.m.

Even though the "understeering through the snow" shots are morally wrong, it is cool to see the neat patterns that 5-spoke wheels create when used as a snowblower. 

My main problem with automotive ads is the painted license plate with actual stamped numbers. It seems the rear tag in every car ad matches the color of the car, but it still has numbers. Why?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/5/20 7:29 a.m.

Understeer is safer for John and Jane Q. Public.  We don't want to scare them.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
3/5/20 8:15 a.m.

Off-road understeer can happen for a huge number of reasons. Maybe dude had to gun it to get over those roots, and maybe he's hoisting those front wheels just enough that there's no traction on the steering axle.

You can argue till the cows come home, but over and under are both slower than adequate steer.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
3/5/20 8:40 a.m.

As someone who has been behind that wheel, I've done it on purpose when they want to see a bunch of dirt/snow/fauna get thrown in the air.  

it's kind of painful to do, knowing I'm violating rules aforementioned but they like it. 

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
3/5/20 8:49 a.m.

I am the Duke of Understeer!

Plow on.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/5/20 9:35 a.m.

over and under are both slower than adequate steer.

I'm trying to find more ways to use the term adequatesteer now.  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/20 10:15 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

As someone who has been behind that wheel, I've done it on purpose when they want to see a bunch of dirt/snow/fauna get thrown in the air.  

it's kind of painful to do, knowing I'm violating rules aforementioned but they like it. 

Ding, ding, ding!

The guy driving knows what he's doing, but the director probably said: "Go out there and throw as much dirt/snow/fauna as you can into the air.

So the professional driver (closed course only) went out and overdrove the snot out of it.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
3/5/20 12:16 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
jfryjfry said:

Ding, ding, ding!

The guy driving knows what he's doing, but the director probably said: "Go out there and throw as much dirt/snow/fauna as you can into the air.

So the professional driver (closed course only) went out and overdrove the snot out of it.

Please, quit throwing forest creatures into the air with your tires!  :)

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
3/5/20 1:08 p.m.

@cactus you are close but the real question is what is the adequate amount of oversteer?

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/5/20 1:18 p.m.
_ said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

I've been seeing it a lot. They are taking advantage of the average consumer that has absolutely no idea what is going on. in fact, the idiots behind most of these car commercials are themselves an average consumer that has absolutely no idea what is going on. This is in fact known as the blind leading the blind.

i remember the new Ford GT commercial spot that came out during the superbowl back in '04.  i was at a party watching it, and one girl who i was standing near and was watching it too, was like "look how bad it handles!" because the test driver was sliding it all over the track.  she legitimately thought it was dangerous and didn't make sense as a performance car.  

us poor 1% indeed.  its a hard life.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
3/5/20 3:13 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oYIhtshPPyGkkLcpFTv4EJtYoPICKJ9dXU5UF3xgeOnkkVNMyipHdEM2uQ880TU9