carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/2/17 10:25 p.m.

I've hardly begun reading this, but I thought you guys would enjoy it.

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=202837

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/2/17 10:51 p.m.

That is awesome the amount of work he is putting in to it, can't help but be impressed.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/3/17 6:42 a.m.

Nice that was awesome! I can't wait to see the completed job. My Rx8 was pretty gutless, a 1.8T would really provide the torque the car never had. Plus I love how far back he mounted the engine, it should handle just as good!

appliance_racer
appliance_racer New Reader
2/3/17 6:51 a.m.

I've driven a few RX8s and really liked the chassis but the engine always kept me from buying. I kinda had in the back of my mind of maybe swapping in the speed 3,6 MZR. This build is the same thing only different, I love it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/3/17 9:04 a.m.

I'm just amazed a bell housing adapter plate is that easy to make. I would think the tolerances would require... more? Does the RX8 transmission have a long enough input shaft that it can engage with a pilot bushing? It's been awhile, I vaguely remember the VW engines from that era don't use a pilot bushing as the input shaft is only long enough to engage the clutch disc.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/3/17 9:06 a.m.

I like his swap of the RX8 trigger wheel. I will have to keep reading if that actually made the ABS and tach work.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/17 9:21 a.m.

Seems like this engine is becoming quite the popular swap, I'm hearing about it in 944s, too.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/3/17 10:00 a.m.

VAG hatred aside, the 1.8T is mechanically a pretty stout engine, and it was rumored to have been detuned so it wouldn't have more HP than the more expensive (but older) VR6. It is capable of some significant power with minimal modifications.

It seems like it would be a pretty easy engine to MegaSquirt as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y8hJWMeeIbKkPL8vlinb9YNwXWkUksydqHkcabhVfTFHDphpfSZHkOghagAJJvp4