David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/28/08 11:20 a.m.

News from VW:

WOLFSBURG, Germany - The Volkswagen Group has taken its place among the world’s top three automakers thanks to the Wolfsburg-based company’s outstanding delivery figures in the first half of 2008. Rival Ford had to settle for fourth position. "We are delighted that the Volkswagen Group has made it to the global automobile industry’s top three for the first time. This shows that we are on the right track with our ever-stronger international presence and, above all, our product program. We will systematically push ahead with our growth course even in the present difficult market environment," Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft, commented. With 3.31 million vehicles delivered in the first half of 2008, the Volkswagen Group increased deliveries in the first six months of this year by 7.2 percent, moving up to third place in the global vehicle sales ranking and overtaking its rival Ford, which announced vehicle sales of 3.22 million for this period.

Discuss.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
8/28/08 11:29 a.m.

"The meek shall inherit the Earth".

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/28/08 11:47 a.m.
  1. Toyota
  2. GM
  3. VAG

never thought I would see the day! it must be all those Veyrons they are selling.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/08 12:11 p.m.

We are into selling Chrysler minivans now...

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/28/08 1:33 p.m.

new chrysler mini vans are way uglier than that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/08 1:57 p.m.

I was going to say how the VW version was MUCH better looking

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
8/28/08 2:15 p.m.

does VW figures include Porsche now ?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/28/08 2:23 p.m.

Time to Unpimp zee Ford

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/28/08 2:39 p.m.

So how many will be bought back for blazing ignition coils and the like? If you count that, it should drop them down to around 20th.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/28/08 2:52 p.m.

i suppose that even if Ford still had the PAG in place, it would still be behind VW?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/08 2:59 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: new chrysler mini vans are way uglier than that.

But that IS one... just in time for $4.00 per gallon fuel.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/28/08 8:16 p.m.

I knew Rabbits were sweet years ago. Photobucket

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot New Reader
8/28/08 9:24 p.m.

VAG has the most craptastic factory manuals i've seen. You'll be sorry.

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 New Reader
8/29/08 2:41 a.m.
John Brown wrote: We are into selling Chrysler minivans now...

soooo this means it should work right then...

i had a 94 voy, while an ok when it was working, mechanicly was a pile o' crap

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/29/08 6:01 a.m.

Huh, they achieved that in spite of my best efforts at telling the world to STAY AWAY from these overpriced, unreliable and difficult to work on nightmares.

And I'm a former VW and Audi owner, from back when they actually made a decent product.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad New Reader
8/29/08 6:20 a.m.

But VW's are Geman cars, they've gotta be good right?

Hopefully the sarcasm is sensed.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
8/29/08 10:18 a.m.
bigbrainonbrad wrote: But VW's are Geman cars, they've gotta be good right? Hopefully the sarcasm is sensed.

Sarcasm detected. Most VWs are more Mexican and Brazilian, no?

Type Q
Type Q Reader
8/29/08 11:55 a.m.

I look at VW as General Motors of Europe with all the good and bad that goes with that analogy.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/29/08 6:41 p.m.

they deserve it, all their new cars come with a basket full of shakes, rattles, and problems.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
8/29/08 9:03 p.m.

Ferdinand would be mighty proud, I expect.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot New Reader
8/29/08 9:38 p.m.
Type Q wrote: I look at VW as General Motors of Europe with all the good and bad that goes with that analogy.

using GM as an analogy is a great dis-service to GM. Atleast GM doesn't make pure crap anymore. Albiet VW is good looking crap. I've seen plenty of clever things working on my POS vw, but nothing that was made to last or truly quality.

I am reading a VAG wiring diagram right now. I want to stomp Mr. Bentley's nuts.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
9/1/08 9:19 a.m.

VW has turned it around big time... three years ago id of laughed hysterically at the idea of buying a new vw. This year theres a new rabbit in our driveway.... 15k on the clock since feb, zero issues, and for a total of $17k out the door, allot of car for the money compared to most others out there...YMMV , but I can certainly see why VAG is in the top three now. If they come out with a two door TDI model for under $20k, Its very likely well add a second vw commuter to the stable...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DTXrFPKuffQTzbOfUZzhfyXPDfEwiBB2dw90QSrKEuep3j3ZmskAh7pcgQDE0xvg