Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/23 2:16 p.m.

I have used 5 gallon hydraulic fluid buckets with lids for my waste oil and then haul 5 to the landfill to dump.  Correction!  Not dump, recycle.

These don't fill very well because I can't tell how much is in there until it sometimes over flows.  And also these are a pain to empty because of the short, flexible spout.

I recently grabbed some 5 gallon containers from work from car detail products.  These have a large opening for the fill and drain part and are translucent so I can see how full it is.  But the plastic is on the thin side and I do not see the containers being durable.

So tell me wise automotive sages of the GRM diy world-space,  is there a good solution that will not impact my budget too much?

wae
wae PowerDork
12/29/23 2:33 p.m.

I have a couple 5 gallon fry oil containers that I swiped out of the trash pile from our parish festival about five years ago.  They're basically translucent and have a large mouth to fill.  So far they've lasted pretty well even though the plastic does feel pretty thin.

miatafan
miatafan GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/29/23 2:35 p.m.
When you say "dump", I hope you are meaning to be recycled and it is not getting dumped in the ground.

Noddaz said:

I have used 5 gallon hydraulic fluid buckets with lids for my waste oil and then haul 5 to the landfill to dump.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/29/23 2:44 p.m.

I've used a surplus jerry can for ages now. Obviously you can't see through it but the opening is plenty wide to check level while filling.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/29/23 2:51 p.m.

I use a 5gal bucket from Home Despot.

I bring it to a friend that has a waste oil burner for heat in his shop. Otherwise my town has a recycle tank behind the police office.

Noddaz
12/29/23 2:56 p.m.

In reply to miatafan :

I corrected that to reflect that I recycle the oil.  It just happens to be at the dump.  Which is really a landfill.

And I came up with what may be a solution for me.   Flo Tool Dispos-Oil Jug.  Hold 3 gallons which is less than 5 but will be easier to lift to the recycling tanks at the landfill.  And if I use an on-line coupon these are $10.39 each and if I buy 4 I can get free shipping to my house for spending more than $35.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
12/29/23 2:58 p.m.

5 gal diesel jugs are under $20 at the hammer store and a genuine "waste oil container" ain't much more from one of the well-known online speed shops.  

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
12/29/23 4:36 p.m.

I purchased 5gallon clear jugs from a surplus store. They were used for food service purposes. They are heavier than cooking oil jugs and have a large mouth spout. I've used them for more than 30 years without a failure.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/29/23 4:44 p.m.

I bought motor oil in  3 gallon plastic containers, and have been reusing those containers for recycling for years. 

Perfect size, easy to handle, big opening.  I've got 4 or 5 of them.  When they are full, I take them all to recycle at once. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/29/23 4:47 p.m.

Walk into your local fire department and ask them for a foam bucket. Five gallons. Sturdy as hell. Big opening. Transluscent enough so you can see the level if you look closely.

Fire departments throw them away all the time. And they last forever as a waste oil container. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/29/23 5:26 p.m.

I typically use the 5qt jugs I bought the oil in to recycle them, but you're probably going through a lot more quantity than I am. My preference is for the Penzoil containers, as they're marked in 1/2 quart increments, pour well, and have a handle on the top and the side. The SuperTech jugs seem plenty sturdy, but I prefer the two handle design of the Penzoil.

Noddaz
12/29/23 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you!  I like your idea!  And challenge priced also!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/29/23 6:50 p.m.

Clear 5.5gal "utility" jugs from rural king or tractor supply. The FLAPS will take them no problem. I've also used empty 5 gallon VP fuel cans in a pinch.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/29/23 8:51 p.m.

Like Ranger above and Eddie's recommendation, this is my Sunoco clear fuel jug.  My favorite thing is that from across the room you can tell how much is in it.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/29/23 9:02 p.m.

Another oil change hack with clear...  

I needed a new oil pan.  A clear storage container with a strong fitting lid was cheaper than a round open-top pan that is easy to spill.  And, the clear tote hold more than 2x what the round pan holds.

Red91sc
Red91sc New Reader
12/29/23 11:32 p.m.

Go to a local car wash, my uncle would get me all sort of used clear containers leftover from the bubbly concentrate.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/23 12:02 a.m.

I use a generic 5 gallon bucket with a big screw-on lid. Strong, leakproof, fairly cheap. Since you open up the entire top of the bucket to fill it, it's easy to tell how full it is and also dead simple to fill without a need for funnels. Recycling gets done at O'Reillys, I think all FLAPS take waste oil up to 5 gallons.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
12/30/23 7:30 a.m.

I buy the 5qt oil containers of new oil and save the container and just refill them with the used oil (funnel , setting everything on a drip pan) and pitch them when I recycle the oil. I think those oil containers aren't supposed to be put with regular recycling anyways. 

Only problem can be if I procrastinate and have to take 25 of them at a time like the other year. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
12/30/23 8:48 a.m.

I know quite a few people who get the oil kegs from a shop once empty. They are 50 or 60l so a little heavy once full but not too bad. 
Most shops locally use it for heat so disposal is a non issue.

rslifkin
rslifkin PowerDork
12/30/23 10:29 a.m.

I keep a pair of these in the garage for waste oil: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064O8OYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

They're cheap, you can see the oil level through the wall, and the opening is big, so it's easy to pour in and out of them. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dmQfCKxlvfh034oRQCwSKiGOpvWrizx03z91fuVoZ5ESrXbzrdtDivBexZTZIHzJ