J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/27/24 3:40 p.m.
feature_image

West Virginia brought motorsports to its Capitol to celebrate the sport’s impact on the state. More than 30 vehicles came, ranging from road racing, to rally racing, to oval track, to off road.

[An easy place to host a race? How about West Virginia?]

“When people think of West Virginia, motorsports is likely not the first thing that comes to mind, but …

Read the rest of the story

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/28/24 8:55 a.m.

West Virginia may be one of the most proactive states in welcoming motorsport. I'm hoping to spend more time in the Mountain State this year.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
2/28/24 9:27 a.m.

Strangely, no SCCA representation, local or otherwise, showed up.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
2/28/24 9:34 a.m.

This is a good reminder that I need to go visit Summit Point this summer for some HPDE.  

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
2/28/24 10:48 a.m.

Spent many enjoyable weekends at Summit Point.The SVRA needs to return.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
2/28/24 10:54 a.m.

hill climbs, rallies, touge/drifting is already making an appearance. excited to see more because the roads are fantastic and its not too terrible of a tow for a long weekend

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/28/24 11:25 a.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

Strangely, no SCCA representation, local or otherwise, showed up.

That requires a group to be present in the state. There used to be 2 autocross groups but they disbanded when there became no venues to hold an event, available lot size and facility liability insurance/lawyers put an end to it.

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
2/28/24 11:47 a.m.

its also one of the greatest states to just....drive through.  in the right car, almost any backroad becomes a thrill and the scenery is serene.  you'd better bring paper maps or a good GPS system though.

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
2/28/24 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

Sounds like you're talking about Panthera. I ran some small drift events there before the lawyers stepped in, also some other organizers were trying to do much bigger events which didn't help.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/28/24 12:48 p.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

No. There was a chapter down around Louisa and the capital area group. Eventually the capital area had the back lot at the mall in Vienna, but never heard anything shortly after that. It's never on motorsportreg nor fb.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/28/24 2:38 p.m.

Good state for car or motorcycle travel. Nice people, too.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
2/28/24 7:15 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

SWVR is still alive.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/swvrscca

Rivercities in Huntington might have died though.

rssmithiq
rssmithiq New Reader
3/3/24 9:07 a.m.

I teach HPDE at Summit Point in the Friday at the Track program. It's a great facility with super welcoming folks and is so close to the Baltimore-Washington metro area. There is also a great Drifting program and lots of wheel to wheel racing.   There has also been a concerted effort to continually update both safety and facilities. That said, West Virginia is super welcoming to any event or activity that brings visitors to the state all the way up to the legislative level. We should all be supporting this interest and the facilities in the state. I'm excited to see the expansion of all motorsports offerings in West Virginia. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/24 11:38 a.m.

Yes, nice to see a state not just welcome motorsports but the kind of motorsports that many of us participate in. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T2sPI5OJNmbzoHFmpvx6MeyCy2jtclIgs9e7sePKgPzzKqE13wlbIAHGr3Cx5GyK