dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/23 2:46 p.m.

I was filling the tank of my twin turbo Merc with 93 and realized that it is the same cost per gallon as diesel. 

So if you were in the market for a diesel car what are the good ones?  Older or a new one I don't care.  I have not paid attention to what car manufacturers are doing with diesel cars and with the whole shift to EV's and the VW mess has the diesel car gone the way of the dodo bird?

Oh and before the EV proponents troll this thread and say you should just go EV that is not the point of this thread.  If you want to debate diesel versus EV go start another thread.

The last diesel car I was in was a BMW 5 series (I think) and it was virtually impossible to tell that it was diesel.  It just felt like a regular car.  Good acceleration no stink or smell at all.  It was just a car.  Are there others out there flying under the radar?  I am sure there are still Audi/VW cars and suv's out there yes?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/8/23 3:18 p.m.

1999 - 2003 VW Jetta TDI.  The last of the ALH engines and not subject to any of the recalls. Fairly easy to maintain; minimal emissions controls; can make power if that is desired.   I really enjoyed my time with 2003 wagon I had, but I entered a point in my life where a small car didn't meet my needs, no matter how good the fuel mileage was. 

wae
wae PowerDork
11/8/23 3:26 p.m.

I'd avoid a Merc after about 2006 when they started infecting things with the OM642.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
11/8/23 3:33 p.m.

I have owned (2) F250's and 1 VW Jetti TDI. I don't have good reviews because they were all run ragged by the time I received them, but they didn't stink to me and the black smoke didn't bother me. If I didn't have any kids I would probably look for another F250 7.3 International engine, it was a great truck the body just was in such poor condition, it was slow. When I upgraded to a 97 7.3 Turbo Powerstroke the power was great but again everything broke on it. I like the idea of a VW TDI wagon but am afraid of cars in my price range that will need a lot of maintenance and specialized tools. Otherwise they look great.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/8/23 3:38 p.m.

It was really just the Germans that did anything comparable to your Merc. But VW/Audi stopped selling diesels in the US by 2016. BMW followed suit in 2019.

You could get a Chevy Cruze or Equinox with a small diesel for a few minutes back around 2018. They're not easy to find and would probably not be equivalent to your Merc.

If you're looking for a large, comfortable highway cruiser that's newer than those options, you can get a Silverado/Sierra 1500 or even an Escalade with a 3.0 diesel now.

Oh, the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 were available with the ecodiesel too if you want ot play expensive repair routlette.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
11/8/23 3:54 p.m.

Wife had an ALH TDI Jetta that was pretty good to us, but you knew it was a diesel. Now has a "recall" 2015 TDI Golf wagon. Knock on wood it's been awesome. Regular oil/air/fuel filters, brake pads and tires in the 60k we've put on it. At like 100-110k miles right now. Hope it lasts. Hers is the three pedal model. Can't comment on auto.

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
11/8/23 3:57 p.m.

There was a modern Jaguar sedan available for a while in the US with a diesel 4 cylinder, I'm thinking maybe all of 20 people bought one.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/23 4:03 p.m.

Not looking to replace the merc (at the moment).  I just had no clue what was even out there in that market segment.  Are they still being sold in Europe?  

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
11/8/23 4:20 p.m.

There's the E90 335d.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
11/8/23 5:32 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I've tried, many times, to convince myself the 335d would be a good idea. 

I'd vote OM606, available in the 98 and 99 E-class sedans. One popped up on CL over Summer and I missed it by a few hours

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/8/23 5:48 p.m.

That price parity is temporary. I wouldn't be shopping for another car based on this temporary situation 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
11/8/23 11:47 p.m.
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

That price parity is temporary. I wouldn't be shopping for another car based on this temporary situation 

Around here? Yep. Temporary.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
11/9/23 8:34 a.m.

My wife drives a 2013 Jetta TDI 6 speed. It's been very good to her. Smooth operation and you forget it's diesel if you don't look at the tach(which I don't in daily driving). Starts up like a champ in -20°F weather. Only qualm with it, is it needs longer trips to cycle the dpf regeneration. So either delete it(what I will probably do when it breaks) or use it as a highway car. We get 45mpg mixed and 55+mpg in perfect conditions. 

Were I making this a project my answer would be Mercedes w124 chassis with the om606. The on606 feels like a torquier BMW M52. The issue is the W210 chassis is garbage. Sketchy wiring, bad rust issues on the front suspension and generally a boat. 

Backup plan would be B5.5 Passat with the BHW. This engine also needs reliability fixes. The cam requires very specific oil or just replace it with aftermarket. Also people(like me) delete the balance shafts for reliability. Personally I'd want to start with a gasoline 6speed wagon and swap in the diesel. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/9/23 9:28 a.m.

You have the TDI SUVs too in the Touareg and Cayenne. 

I've eyed the 335D a few times as I'm driving a lot more now and it gets great mileage for what it is. But in reality, If I went oil burner it would be one of the TDI SUVs.

My next need will probably be hauler/people mover since the Miata and Mirage are not going anywhere for a long time. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
11/9/23 9:59 a.m.

How's the reliability of the 328 and 335? Those engines are a nice shape and make great numbers, but after ten years of gas bmw ownership, I'm scared. 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
11/9/23 5:08 p.m.

I've owned a 2012 VW Jetta TDI  6 speed since new. While I haven't driven it as many miles as I expected (75K), that's mostly because I'm now retired and not driving to a job every day. The car was recalled on the "Diesel Gate" issue but I never took it in for the "fix". I did do a DPF & EGR delete and a ECU re-flash. More power, better MPG's, and just a more fun car to drive. Since I purchased it there were only 3 fill ups where I calculated it got less than 40 mpg's, two were during very cold weather and the last was due to extended idling. Usually I get 48-52 MPG's.  I do annual oil changes only with oil that meets VW spec. 507.  I may look for another TDI soon, just because their not selling them here anymore. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 6:52 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski :

For what it is worth, I am fairly sure that the 507 spec is a low ash formulation to keep the DPF happy.  If you don't have it, you don't strictly need that oil.  But at least you know that the oil is keeping the cylinder head happy.

xflowgolf (Forum Supporter)
xflowgolf (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/9/23 8:19 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to jimbbski :

For what it is worth, I am fairly sure that the 507 spec is a low ash formulation to keep the DPF happy.  If you don't have it, you don't strictly need that oil.  But at least you know that the oil is keeping the cylinder head happy.

Yup, deleted TDI's are happy with Rotella T6 or similar.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/9/23 8:27 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Not looking to replace the merc (at the moment).  I just had no clue what was even out there in that market segment.  Are they still being sold in Europe?  

Go to fueleconomy.gov and use the power search function to see all diesel cars sold in America by model year.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
11/9/23 11:48 p.m.

I want to say it's only the PD TDIs that need a special oil spec for the cams. I'm the US that's the BEW BHW and BRM engine codes. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
11/10/23 5:09 a.m.

For newer VW's, you have several options, 2011-16 Touaregs with the 3.0 v6, 2009-15 Passats, Golfs and Jettas with the 2.0 i4.  Audi you could get the A3 with a 2.0, the A6, A7, Q5, and Q7 with the 3.0.  The A6 and A7 are supposed to get great mileage, like 40+ on the highway with good power ( 240HP, 428ft ).  BMW has had the 335d, 535d, X5d, and 328d ( which is actually a euro spec 320d ).  I think all of the BMW's have their share of reliability issues, it just happens sooner then other brands.  Jaguar has the F-Pace and XF sedan, I know absolutely nothing about them other then a dog sitter friend had the F-Pace.

If I were to pick one as a car/wagon, I'd lean towards the BMW 328d, Audi A6 or A7.  Better fuel economy then most with the better 8HP ZF transmission, and for SUV the Q5.  I think of the one's I listed, the 4 cylinder VW's are the only ones available with a manual.

I've had a 2012 Jetta wagon since 18', with zero major issues at 189k miles, and my wife an 11' Touareg.  Mine is "modified" for reliability,  the Touareg at 115k miles is not and it shows with how often the check engine light comes on and how low the MPGs are getting.  I wouldn't ever consider a diesel unless it is emissions free, or can be made emissions free and you can deal with the morality of it.  Too many expensive emissions devices to upkeep and it costs plenty of cash to maintain them.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/23 10:51 p.m.
calteg said:

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I've tried, many times, to convince myself the 335d would be a good idea. 

I'd vote OM606, available in the 98 and 99 E-class sedans. One popped up on CL over Summer and I missed it by a few hours

I would do very unsavory things for another W210 300TD.  I had a 99 with 250k and it refused to need parts, show any wear on the leather, or do anything wrong.  I thought it had a transmission issue and it had just developed a leak and got low on fluid.  OM606 is the 2JZ of the German world.  It is a real juggernaut and can take a crazy amount of boost and torture.  IMO, W210 is the last "great" Benz.

Downside... everything from the HVAC to the door locks is vacuum operated, and if you get a leak it means a full dash disassembly.

Other downside.... they're 25 years old at this point.

E30 is a good bet.  They're early EFI, so they can have problems with old analog components, but at least they are well-documented.  Mine was an 87 Cabrio that really was reliable.  It needed an AFM and an ECU, but I think the parts were both under $50, and a quick google search diagnosed the problem before I even had to get out the multi-meter.  Again, IMO, the E30 was the last great enthusiast BMW.  Light, insanely agile, and crazy fun.  Miata-level fun with two extra cylinders.  I think you'll find, though, that it was such a great enthusiast car because they didn't give much care for quiet and cushy.  Plenty of NVH.

But... they're 35 years old at this point.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h908E7h14tMan8CQCRsExgiwwWXhlg15gdzSHjnV3oQi5HOoYKdLsx73DLwwxTDj