1 2 3
joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/13/19 9:47 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

There is only one good two-spoke steering wheel

That wheel would send me into conniptions. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/14/19 5:16 a.m.
joey48442 said:
JG Pasterjak said:

I knew someone who had an XT6 and he said he couldn't tell which way the steering wheel was pointed even when he wasn't drunk. I tried to buy it off him to put in my Loyale.

I think we need more single-spoke steering wheels a la Citroën.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/14/19 5:29 a.m.
joey48442 said:
JG Pasterjak said:

The XT sent a lot of people into conniption fits. Hence why it didn't sell very well.  Personally, a clean XT is an early purchase in my "lottery fleet". I love those old Subarus. 

As far as the C8 wheel. Yes. It's a steering wheel. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
7/14/19 6:07 a.m.

I love Corvettes, I'm not an old man, and I like the steering wheel. Of course, I'll never be able to afford one, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/19 7:12 a.m.

Tradition damn it

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/19 7:47 a.m.

I much prefer the wheel in my abarth.

I think Mini does a good job too.

Thing I like about my Abarth's wheel is that the radio controls are on the backside. Left is station/track up and down and right is for volume. Buttons you don't need to see to work, don't need to clutter up the front of the wheel so you have to hunt and peck at them while taking your eyes off of the road.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/19 7:54 a.m.
NickD said:
joey48442 said:
JG Pasterjak said:

I knew someone who had an XT6 and he said he couldn't tell which way the steering wheel was pointed even when he wasn't drunk. I tried to buy it off him to put in my Loyale.

I think we need more single-spoke steering wheels a la Citroën.

There's a thumby thingy on the left side!  Why is it not obvious?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/19 7:59 a.m.
mad_machine said:Thing I like about my Abarth's wheel is that the radio controls are on the backside. Left is station/track up and down and right is for volume. Buttons you don't need to see to work, don't need to clutter up the front of the wheel so you have to hunt and peck at them while taking your eyes off of the road.

This is my main thing against touchscreens.  If one needs to take their eyes off the road to change a control, you have failed at designing an interface.

Controls should have tactile feedback.  This not only means a tactile click when pushing a button or turning a knob, but knob controls should have a start and an end, none of this infinite-turn BS.

(Don't get me started on turn signal stalks that are just switches that return to center.... they are not as bad as the one-touchscreen-for-all HVAC/radio controls forced onto us by the beancounters that should be a hanging offense, but they are right on up there)

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
7/14/19 8:02 a.m.

I come from a karting background so it looks completely natural to me, however, a kart steering wheel turns 180 degrees lock to lock and I assume the C8 needs more turns than that so it may seem weird 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/14/19 9:32 a.m.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
7/14/19 10:32 a.m.

Like loosecannon , my first thought was- how many turns center to left or right lock? I'd like to sit in the car and see how it feels but still not a fan of that ultra-modern wiz-bang look.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/19 10:59 a.m.

Most vette owners will still be thrown off by having flappy paddles for shifting behind the wheel expecting it to have been a sort of horn ring. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/19 12:21 p.m.

Looks like a form over function thing to me but whatever.

NFtG from me. They aren't marked to me nor will I ever own one. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
7/14/19 12:52 p.m.

I think they should have asked Mazda to design the wheel!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/14/19 1:24 p.m.

Let’s see it in environment rather than on its own before passing judgment?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/14/19 1:36 p.m.

I don't have strong feelings for or against.

I'm really more interested in what the price point is going to be. I'm sure it's still far outside if anything I could afford, but I'm still curious.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/14/19 2:40 p.m.

I like the wheel in the frs. I wish it had audio controls on the wheel but it still looks nice. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/14/19 7:08 p.m.

So, are we on some strange, awful path to steering wheels that will simply be too fat to wrap our hands around? The tumours on that Scion wheel look uncomfortable at best.

The nicest wheels I've put my hands on have been thin, wood rimmed wheels.

The wheel in my wife's 1970 Continental is the second nicest I've ever had my hands on. It's wood, just the right thickness with a thin, soft rubber strip around the inner diameter. When you squeeze the wheel and moosh the strip a little, the horn blows.

The nicest was another thin, wood rimmed wheel but the inside diameter of the wheel has a concave surface right where your thumbs rest that fits your hand just perfectly.

Surely we can make a nice wheel and still fit an airbag in the center.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/19 7:29 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I never cared for thin rimmed steering wheels. I had a couple of cars with them, they didn't do a thing for me. I happen to like the current crop of "meaty" wheels

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/15/19 6:21 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Ha ha ha!  Don’t be a jerk, those “tumors” are me knees!!!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/19 9:16 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

I wonder how many old guys are going to complain that its not round?

"But Corvettes have always had ROUND steering wheels! Its tradition!!!!!"

devil

I'm not old yet but I complain about non-round steering wheels in any vehicle where the wheel turns more than 180 degrees. The C8 is no exception.

It's not much of a looker but I wouldn't be deterred by that.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/15/19 10:54 a.m.

In reply to joey48442 :

Ha!

I didn't even notice the knees until just now! laugh

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/15/19 11:49 a.m.

Looks like a good way to package large people in a confined space

Armitage
Armitage Dork
7/15/19 12:23 p.m.

The wheel in my FoST isn't round, but I'll be damned if I'll abide such flat-topped tomfoolery!

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/19 11:35 p.m.

In reply to Armitage :

The ST wheel does have a very subtle flat bottom but the rest of the wheel is round and the flat is very subtle.. It's my favorite part of the 2015+ focus redesign because I hated the 2012-2014 steering wheel. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pFnqXYnzhtLNBEDzh2z1n82I3hrvmVACvSruWSsE13NoY0HQoyv8FJ6oLgSrxIBh