jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
3/25/09 6:26 p.m.

Please note that the title is not "learn me about Ford Probes."

There is a '95 base model (2.0L I think) with 5 speed and 65k miles that I might be interested in locally. Before I act any further on this car, what can you tell me about them?

How dificult is a clutch job?
Is it an interference engine?
Are they pretty reliable?

What should I look out for?

What are the good online resources?

PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/25/09 7:24 p.m.

Slow.

Only slightly better MPG than the V6.

Otherwise pretty stout, and generally unnoticed by the V6 GT crowd.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
3/25/09 11:26 p.m.

Clutch job wouldn't kill you. The GT took me a weekend. The 2.0L is interference, the 2.5L is not. I have heard of oil starvation problems in Protege's.

The V6 is worth the extra $5.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
3/26/09 7:42 a.m.

Is this the same 2.0L that is in the Protoge5 and in the current base Mazda3?

My thoughts are to pick this up as a cheap commuter. If price were not a factor, I think my perfect commuter would be a 2000+ Toyota Celica. All the economy of a Corolla wrapped in a better body/chasis with the utility of a hatchback. I am thinking that this Ford Probe could be the bargain hunter's version with a $2k price tag, not $10k.

Any leads to online resources?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/09 7:55 a.m.

If we take to long way around the F series engine in the 1995 Probe and Mazda 626 is related to later but not the latest Mazda engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_F_engine

The highlight in the FS engine will be the 2003-2005 Mazdaspeed Protege' which would be fun in a 1995 Probe.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/26/09 8:25 a.m.

This is basically a 626 with different clothes.The motors are nearly bulletproof but not overly powerful and are not interference. If it was an A/T car I would tell you to run away as far and fast as you could but a 5 speed will be OK. Never done a clutch, it shouldn't be any worse than any other sidewinder.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q3RwIK3oIlYdJ37vcKUA8DtIKlkzUiUiJHnkUxHs5I9FwjFeNLj5npLMNoLo32mb