1 ... 7 8 9
Deude_Mann
Deude_Mann GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/29/23 8:32 p.m.

I also meant to mention I agree that there will be some production EVs in the near future that are going to be seriously fast. Some are already known like the Dodge replacement for the Charger/Challenger, and of course there is the Tesla Plaid. What I think the big difference will be is they will be more affordable as the battery tech progresses and the competition increases. 

The big deal for me will be whether or not the batteries and cooling systems can handle a road course without overheating, not to mention the whole on-site charging infrastructure issue. The former is easier to solve with aftermarket mods; the latter not so much. 

The EV tuner scene is already happening. One of the best examples I know of is the AWD Tesla motor/818 chassis built by EV-controls. It runs 9s in the 1/4 mile and is used as a street car by the owner. It was built 6 years ago. Has it been tracked or autocrossed? No idea. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBkpwapohE

A lot of people lament the takeover by EVs but I think it is interesting and will continue to be. Do I want to give up my Diesel truck and my ICE race car? Nope. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/29/23 9:35 p.m.

I think I replied much earlier in this thread about how the Chevy Bolt, Volvo EX30 and maybe the new Mini Cooper EV (the one for 2025) look interesting to me as cheap daily appliances, but I've just noticed a very interesting trend in the Porsche Taycan world. CRAZY depreciation within 1 year/10000 miles (up to 30%!). Now THAT is something I could consider but it would be stretching the budget...

cheese
cheese New Reader
11/3/23 6:13 p.m.

Spouse and I got a Polestar 2 when they launched their CPO program earlier this year. It replaces an eGolf that we really liked, but as a first gen model didn't have enough range to be useful and lacked a heat pump. The P2 with performance pack has a good amount of power and the chassis dynamics are decent. Definitely some tradeoffs vs Tesla but it's 0% Elon which is a big plus for me.

I think the EX30 and similar cars will be big in the market if the build quality and software improve a bit. The EV XC40 is still pretty expensive, and the software and connectivity in the Polestar is really bad. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
11/4/23 12:15 p.m.

I wonder if factory five will get into the ev game. I could see them actually pulling off something like the wolf pickup (ala 80's Toyota)

Deude_Mann
Deude_Mann GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/6/24 12:29 p.m.

Factory Five is already in the EV game, at least indirectly. Any one of their chassis offerings could be built as an EV. 
Here is the FF 818 EV I linked to before. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBkpwapohE

calteg
calteg SuperDork
2/6/24 6:37 p.m.

Another interesting wrinkle: Used EV's are depreciating at breathtaking rates (30-65% in a year). 

I do like Volvo's EX30, but from what I understand the "performance" version is over $70k. Currently there aren't any EVs out that I consider lust worthy

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
2/6/24 7:49 p.m.

I've been waiting years for someone to build an EV wagon. VW talked about one in the pre-pandemic days (ID Space Vizzion) and more recently Volvo has briefly mentioned a V90-type EV, but nothing else out there. For me it would be a do-it-all vehicle with better performance than a crossover/SUV body but have a long roof for the fam and pups. Something like an EV M3 Touring or EV RS6 Avant? Yes please! This would replace probably 95% of my family's driven miles, which would be huge

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
2/7/24 7:52 a.m.
toonarmy said:

I've been waiting years for someone to build an EV wagon. VW talked about one in the pre-pandemic days (ID Space Vizzion) and more recently Volvo has briefly mentioned a V90-type EV, but nothing else out there. For me it would be a do-it-all vehicle with better performance than a crossover/SUV body but have a long roof for the fam and pups. Something like an EV M3 Touring or EV RS6 Avant? Yes please! This would replace probably 95% of my family's driven miles, which would be huge

Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo? It was originally only available in the GTS trim level, but it appears that you can now have the Sport Turismo body in any flavor of Taycan that you'd like.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/7/24 8:59 a.m.
calteg said:

Another interesting wrinkle: Used EV's are depreciating at breathtaking rates (30-65% in a year). 

That's not what I'm seeing. but then Northern California probably  has the highest EV adoption rates in the country. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/7/24 9:59 a.m.
calteg said:

According to this article the depreciation is way less alarming. According to that article EV's depreciate at a a 5 year average of 49.1%, which is faster than the overall 5 year average of 38.8%.

That sounds terrible until you look at the well known EV's with their ICE counterparts:

5 Year depreciation:

Tesla model S:   55.5% vs. BMW 7 series: 61.8% vs. Mercedes S Class: 55.7%

Tesla model X: 49.9% vs BMW x5: 54.7% vs. Audi Q7 56.8%

Tesla Model 3: 42.9% vs BMW 3 series: 35.85% vs Audi A5: 41.94%

I am actually quite impressed they depreciated at about the same rate as their counterparts. I would have assumed otherwise. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/24 10:10 a.m.

The EV depreciation is being driven (har har) mostly by Tesla cutting prices. That pulls down the value of the used versions of the same car. The price cuts have been pretty dramatic in some cases. Until Tesla started doing that, the resale was actually very strong. The reworked federal tax credits also effectively lowered the cost of new Teslas, as their  original credits expired in 2020 or so.
Meanwhile, this is affecting the whole EV market - when a major competitor to the Mach E drops in cost by $5k, the value of the Mach E follows suit. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/7/24 10:19 a.m.

Glad to see this thread boil to the top again. I'm in the "I didn't wait long" camp, and put my money where my mouth was. I'm at nearly 97K on the Bolt so far. Loving every bit of it. It turns out that all of those massive issues don't actually matter at all, other than one day out of every few years, and there's always another path which doesn't involve me spending money to drive an otherwise suboptimal car around just to carry my sack of meat back and forth to work every day without a fuss.

Chris_V
Chris_V PowerDork
2/7/24 10:36 a.m.
MrJoshua said:
calteg said:

According to this article the depreciation is way less alarming. According to that article EV's depreciate at a a 5 year average of 49.1%, which is faster than the overall 5 year average of 38.8%.

That sounds terrible until you look at the well known EV's with their ICE counterparts:

5 Year depreciation:

Tesla model X: 49.9% vs BMW x5: 54.7% vs. Audi Q7 56.8%

Tesla Model 3: 42.9% vs BMW 3 series: 35.85% vs Audi A5: 41.94%

I am actually quite impressed they depreciated at about the same rate as their counterparts. I would have assumed otherwise. 

I was looking at this in response to someone else. A 2012 Tesla Model S was about $100k new. A similar spec BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class were similar. Right now, on AutoTrader, 2012 Model S's tend to be going for $20-25k, while similar BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class examples are $11-15k.

So, yeah...

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/7/24 10:43 a.m.

Revisiting this thread (again?), I'm sort of eyeing the new Fiat 500e and hoping the lease deals get as cheap as they did back then. Big seller in Europe so I figure it can't be too bad.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/7/24 10:51 a.m.

Something like the Honda e, which never came to the US, would be about what I'd want.  A 500e with a sliding sunroof sounds nice but I can't imagine buying an electric Fiat unless I lived in Europe, and even then... 

I had been wondering about electric-swapping an NC MX-5.  Still like the idea but there's so much to change to take something like to the level of 'real every day car and everything works'.  Like a working heater, even a not very good one, seems like a challenge for the home builder/swapper.

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
2/7/24 12:38 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Love it, but not longroof enough for my taste/needs. Gotta have more space under the hatch!

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
2/8/24 7:21 a.m.

Well apparently BMW heard me complaining- the i5 Touring totally fits the bill:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/24 8:07 a.m.

wow, BMW tamed their kidneys a bit?

Right now I am thinking a lot about the Volvo V60 Recharge. It begins to fit my needs more than any pure electric. 40 pure electric, plus the turbo 4 should I need to go faster or further. Being a wagon, tonnes of storage and people moving capabilities, and above all else, it's not an SUV.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/8/24 10:42 a.m.
MrJoshua said:

Tesla likes to market the model S as being a competitor to the 7 series and S class, but it's really closer in size to the 5 series and E class which are both at 45%.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/8/24 11:00 a.m.

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

I rented a 500 hybrid in Europe and other than it's gutlessness quite enjoyed it. A 500e with a nice, torquey motor should be great fun. 

E-Abarth anyone?

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5rC6Swy9FBWdOvDaJUmGtwDQEHq933uOqoBYQCncsNfgWCcucJcw8qhnmJRAcLgp