1 2 3 ... 8
JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/29/10 10:05 p.m.

I'd be willing to be that damn near everyone on this board has at least one project going on in their head at any given time. Right now I'm mentally craving a 3rd generation Camaro with an LT5 (that all-aluminum DOHC V8 from the original Corvette ZR-1) and either the ZF 6-speed that it came attached to or a T-56 if it can be made to ft. Find one of the GM over-the-counter D44s to replace the stock rearend, and other handling and braking bits. Why the LT5 and not an LS1? It's unique and impressive. That's it.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/10 10:13 p.m.

Mercedes W123 Wagon lowered with some wide wheels and stiff suspension and a 5 speed trans.

Thats just todays dreaming

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
6/29/10 10:18 p.m.

I have been mulling an 87 Toyota Corolla FX16 hatch to rival the 323GTX. Build it with a 4-AGZE supercharged MR2 engine, and all-trac all wheel drive!

Also, just to piss people off, I want a 2JZ in a C4 Corvette, and an LS1 in a MkIV Supra...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/10 10:23 p.m.

Motorcycle engined A-mod. EFI for the Abomination. Why the 400 day clock I am fixing ran fine until I installed the face and hands. A 40s or 50s bus converted to tow beast and RV. Constructing a new Sub for the stereo, the 18" is taking up too much room. I don't just have auto ADD, I just have ADD.

Edited for spelling.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/29/10 10:28 p.m.

Currently my MG Midget and trying to figure out what I am going to do with it. And an Eastern Bloc car of some sort.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
6/29/10 10:30 p.m.

Attatching the Brodix heads to the 400 block, stuffing it full of other bits, and getting it into my 82 Camaro.

Getting the SR20 back together so I can complete the B13 SER clone.

Making sure my IT car runs all weekend next time I drag it 600km for a race weekend.

Straighten the front axle on my trailer so I can put tires on it and not skin them off next weekend on my 1200km round trip to race.

Find a tenth in my ministock car so I can beat Todd.

And so on.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
6/29/10 10:42 p.m.

E30 vs E36 vs 944 vs RX7 for challenge-priced fun car. I need to test drive more.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
6/29/10 10:45 p.m.

A dodge neon, with tons of boost, and set to run stage rally. None of that silly SRT-4 business, I want old school ACR. The vacuum leak in my ms3, the fixing of the gas pedal in the Cooper S... an the new (to me, obviously) 1990-ish Celica we bought for chump car.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/10 10:47 p.m.

About every AMC within 1000 miles of me... An LS1 FC or FD RX-7, a turbo for the Miata, a new 5.0 swap into the P71, a new motor for the go-kart, and a Boxster are the current obsessions. Luckily I don't have any of that pesky income.

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
6/29/10 10:53 p.m.

Finish installing the GT4 gearbox in my Protege and find out if I remember how to drive a rallycar.

At this point I ain't hopeful...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/10 11:04 p.m.

Gears? In my head? Now I'm scared.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
6/29/10 11:10 p.m.

Any early Packard, period.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
6/29/10 11:15 p.m.

LSx of some sort in front of a 4l80e with stock transfer case in my DiscoII. Upgraded front/rear/center diffs to handle the power. Range Rover Sport take off wheels and tires. Dual spring setup on all 4 corners with short stiff springs topped by loooooong soft springs and combined with a manually controlled Range Rover air suspension. Empty the air springs to get down to the stiff coils for a lowrider handling beast. Fill the air springs to get up into the soft coils for super articulating offroad beast mode. Locate a Junkyard takeoff of the factory auto adjusting front sway bar to top it off. Basically turn my impractical British toy into a vastly more reliable and better performing example of itself.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/29/10 11:16 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Gears? In my head? Now I'm scared.

Yes, this is what's in a "normal" person's head

and this is what's in ours'

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
6/29/10 11:16 p.m.

1990 to 1994 Mazda 323 plans are always in there somewhere.

Also what kind of convertible I could actually use for trips and fun drives, 1984 Celica cloth tops sound fun, or possible same era 911's.

edit: Also how I would really like to throw new / seriously improved suspension bits at my VFR, along with a different seat (something much taller would be nice) and an LSL Superbike bar kit so I can get a bit farther away from the tank for touring. And then possibly a Microsquirt project with the thing over the winter...

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
6/29/10 11:32 p.m.

24hrs of LeMons in a early RX-7...

GR40RACER
GR40RACER New Reader
6/29/10 11:32 p.m.

2 things:

Locating a correct reciever for a excellent condition WWII M1 Garand barrel that I picked up a couple of months ago, something in the 1,910,000 to 2,220,000 serial number range with original finish would work.

Bigger supercharger for the Shelby, because 640bhp just isn't enough anymore. The new water cooled Kenny Bell SC's are interesting and judging them against the large Whipples for track use, I think the water cooled SC are the best bet for low IAT's

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/10 11:46 p.m.

I should be thinking about the MG, and I usually am. But I've been spending a lot of time thinking about building a 3/4 scale Class 1 desert racer out of lighter weight parts. You know, the Lotus version.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/30/10 12:00 a.m.

a bunch of really strange, vintage junior formula/sports cars/DSR/H-Mod/sports racer/motorcycle side car inspired cars that wouldn't really be competitive in any autocross these days but would still be fun to terrorize cones with. and ways to mildly hot rod the Mini

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
6/30/10 12:05 a.m.

in this order: fixie conversion for my 10 speed, putting a turbo on my girlfriends ecplise without her knowing and then seeing the look on her face when she hits boost, cummins jeep zav, and lastly: restomod the volvo 122 sitting in the back lot of my shop

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/30/10 12:48 a.m.

My Jeep is always in the "on" position for plans. Waiting for the money to get saved up is the current hurdle. New axles, suspension, braking system... Well, I'll tell you itl'l be easier to list what will remain stock. The frame, most of the interior (minus seats and carpet), most of the engine, and some of the body panels.

Then there's the Bimmer. It's in good shape. It has a little way to go to becoming a full-racer, but I'm leaving it just drivable (and legal) enough to drive to and from the track for now. I guess my most imminent project is to find some used tires to slap on it for track days.

zipty842
zipty842 Reader
6/30/10 1:09 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: I have been mulling an 87 Toyota Corolla FX16 hatch to rival the 323GTX. Build it with a 4-AGZE supercharged MR2 engine, and all-trac all wheel drive!

i have that same bad thought. as well as a mid engined FX16. the bad thing is im staring at a FX16 right now.

the main thing churning in my head is a cafe racer.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
6/30/10 2:27 a.m.

A 2.0 Pinto with the Cosworth DOHC and a slice of turbo on the side. The motor in the Mustang will be probably be rebuilt in the next 50-75k, wondering if I should stroke her to 5.0 or drop a 5.4 in her.

EvanR
EvanR New Reader
6/30/10 2:35 a.m.

In my head is a micro-locost, built around a Geo/Suzuki 1.0 liter inline-triple. I believe the 2WD Suzuki Samurai 5-speed will bolt right up to that block, for a tiny rwd package. Rear axle out of some 70-80's Japanese car. Estimated as-built weight around 500kg, which oughta be fun, even with 65hp.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/30/10 2:52 a.m.
lewbud wrote: A 2.0 Pinto with the Cosworth DOHC and a slice of turbo on the side. The motor in the Mustang will be probably be rebuilt in the next 50-75k, wondering if I should stroke her to 5.0 or drop a 5.4 in her.

Or wait until some new 5.0 Coyotes start showing up in junkyards and swap that in.

This is the ultimate enabler thread.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G4GMsXAfHVBMtcj9SDCtiICHcPLX9xYkp0ZkTHzbPGsFCqEvbNzEblpDwMtPiDHP