1 2
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/20 10:13 a.m.

I would walk the streets of San Francisco. I saw this beauty there once but have seen at least one every trip. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
4/10/20 10:27 a.m.

Carmax, obviously.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/20 11:08 a.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2519547158109348/

$70k?!  They must have been smoking the good stuff in the back of that thing.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
4/10/20 12:40 p.m.

What about sidewalk chalk murals? I can have a new one everyday done by my in house artists.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
4/10/20 1:38 p.m.

Super Van is on Prime video now.  Should have all the inspiration you need.  Also has Charles Bukowski at a wet T-Shirt contest.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/10/20 2:02 p.m.

Paging imgon!! Imgon, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/10/20 2:13 p.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:

I also love these but kinda worry about parts availability. Not 70s but mmmmm

Love the 70s van thing but this thing is out of this world.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/20 2:35 p.m.

Easy answer.  Find one in the desert you think is abandoned that was once featured in a movie, take it without asking, proceed to restore it to its former glory, make a big social media deal out of it and then get sued by the person you took it from.  When the court returns it to the previous owners, steal it back, strip it and abandon it.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/wild-cherry-van-owner-sounds-off/

it's like The Tiger King but with vans.

edit: may not have gotten all my facts 100% but you catch the drift

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
4/10/20 7:45 p.m.

There are a lot of  airbrushed vans around Southern California if all you are talking about are simple stripes ,  and simple designs that most of the car dealers had on the lot , 

Real Murals are another thing and very rare , and now they have been out in the weather  almost 40 years a good one would be hard to find.....

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/20 7:18 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

There are a lot of  airbrushed vans around Southern California if all you are talking about are simple stripes ,  and simple designs that most of the car dealers had on the lot , 

Real Murals are another thing and very rare , and now they have been out in the weather  almost 40 years a good one would be hard to find.....

I was going to make a joke about a “good one” was always impossible to find, but then I realized the adjective I was actually looking for was “tasteful”.  

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/20 3:06 p.m.

I was wondering today, how many 2020 Challenge entries will have airbrushed tigers on them.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/20 5:53 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I was wondering today, how many 2020 Challenge entries will have airbrushed tigers on them.

Shhh... I'm still trying to borrow an actual tiger for the event. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
4/11/20 9:49 p.m.

Im currently finally re-lowering the front of my 'dajiban' with Dakota drop spindles (the ones that are vaguely referred to on dodge van forums but noone knows exactly how it works other than that it's 'hard').  Springs with double the rate from a diesel 1ton d350 currently in the mail from rockauto. 

I used mine to tow my Challenge car from TX-FL and back in 2017 or 18, forget which year that was.  May do it again some year, as i did enjoy that trip other than the lack of travel in the front suspension which im currently fixing.  If you get a dodge van i should have some kind of functional recipe for lowering it and still riding decent.

NoviceClass
NoviceClass New Reader
4/12/20 10:13 a.m.

Love this one

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
4/12/20 10:53 a.m.

Back in the early 90's I rebuilt this '78 350 4V shorty on a challenge type budget over a couple years for use as the Team van for my BMX/skateboard store. At the time we were sponsored by Sony music through their college advertising channels. We would get cases of sampler CDs to distribute so we'd show up at races and contests and toss out CDs from the new Sony artists. Was a lot of fun.

The inside had been customized in the late '70's with swiveling captains chairs, paneling, shag carpeting etc. with bubble windows,  aftermarket wheels, and running boards. I added a fiberglass air dam, A Team roof wing, fiberglass hood W/scoop, Fiberglass windshield visor, chrome tube grill, and newer style mirrors.  Then redid the interior adding a bumping circa '90 era stereo system as well as replacing worn items. Painted white as a base so I could have a buddy airbrush it but I fired the wife du jour and had to sell off a lot of vehicles. Sold to a guy in a New Rochelle NY housing project for $1,500.00.

In todays world I think I'd vinyl wrap rather than airbrush.

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/78%20Chevy%20van/CCF04282015_0004_zpsh37lk8e0.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/78%20Chevy%20van/011.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/78%20Chevy%20van/003.jpg.html][/URL]

imgon
imgon HalfDork
4/12/20 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I would love to get an old van again. My wife and i were seriously into vans when were were first married. There are a few around but not many, every time I've seen a really nice one they want stupid money. There is a shop down the road that had a '68 Chevy long wheel base that was OK looking, just had a fresh paint job, no interior other than two miss matched seats and the original 6 in it and they wanted $9k. I was thinking a new truck like the new Transits or Sprinters would be nice for the ability to stand up, plus all the goodies new vehicle have built in now. Think of the mural you could put on the driver side of a long Transit!

The first two pics are my trucks, the others are some of the vans that were at runs we went to back in the early 80's.There were some crazy paint jobs. You could get a mural done at an event or watch them paint some of the smaller projects. Those were good times...... I think???

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/20 1:40 p.m.

For me this is the only van that ever mattered. When I was a kid it was the coolest van ever made. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/12/20 6:11 p.m.
dean1484 said:

For me this is the only van that ever mattered. When I was a kid it was the coolest van ever made. 

Still is Fool!   

:-)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eR2WblNRFyvVIWuvhTyoIA0HjK77VT1dtygjJwTK0IScRTBqSMOFLmhjzDlnZlIh