1 2 3 4
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/27/24 2:15 p.m.

Sounds like George is still with Holler but over at toyota now. My hyundai guy was going to go say hi and give him regard from the board, though. So we'll see if my number goes up or down after that :)

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/27/24 3:16 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

A car guy that sells cars?

Keep his number as most car salesmen are just businessmen and don't like/know/care about cars. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/27/24 3:45 p.m.

Good to hear the dealership purchase experience is still as berkeleyed up as it was 20 years ago when we tried to take advantage of an advertised 36 month $200 lease rate with a $3500 down on an Audi A4. Pure bait and switch. The car at that rate was a completely stripped CVT A4 that was only on the lot to show they had the advertised "special". The cars they were moving were over 300/month and they were not inclined to negotiate to reflect the difference in sticker price which wasn't a large as the difference in lease rate would indicate. Nothing I've seen since then move me to purchase a new car in the interim years.

rdcyclist
3/27/24 3:48 p.m.

As noted previously, remember that 3500 down should included in your monthly rate so: 3500/24=146. That Low, Low lease rate is now creeping up on 400/month. Doesn't look as good when viewed that way.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
3/27/24 4:28 p.m.

The challenge will also be to find a dealer willing to honor the lease deal. Probably impossible to do before April 1st 

BoulderG
BoulderG GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/27/24 4:34 p.m.

(I've been car shopping. It hurts. Leasing makes my head hurt more.)

Kia and Hyundai EVs don't qualify for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. At least here in Colorado, dealers magically have a factory discount of $7,500, so it's effectively present.

Colorado currently has a $5K State Tax Credit and not sure how they are handling that but I presume they're discounting that, too, or they are likely to lose a lot of sales.

I also read about some 'killer lease deal' on the Kona EV SEL for $179 monthly plus maybe $2K down, for 24 months, and a mystery $400 fee at end of lease? Check my math, but I recall itbeing ~$7K for the two years. Great deal, if you want a Kona EV.

JG Pasterjak
3/27/24 4:42 p.m.

Look if I had my way my wife would be driving a paid for 20-year-old Prius like I do, but I completely understand her desire, as a daily commuter, to have something new and 100% reliable.

At best, leasing is a dice roll. You're wagering that all you're paying for is depreciation, and you have to be willing to walk away at the end of the game if the cards didn't flip in your favor. In our case, the equity she has in her 2016 CX-5 with 93,000 miles is enough to cover the entire two year cost of the Ioniq with plenty left over, and it gets her from an eight year old car with no warranty into a brand new car with a warranty and near zero maintenance costs and far lower per-mile fuel costs (plus the convenience of a gas station at home). 

I leased my Volt back in the day, and probably would have bought it out but the dealer was being a dick about it and trying to sneak weird fees in and I got tired of fighting and walked away. i can't say that I'm someone who "recommends" leasing as a rule, but in some cases it seems to fit a need fairly well, especially in the current climate where "cheap" cars are $40,000 and interest rates are in the 8s.

JG Pasterjak
3/27/24 4:52 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

The challenge will also be to find a dealer willing to honor the lease deal. Probably impossible to do before April 1st 

Several pretended they didn't even understand the question and started steering me other directions. Holler has been very on the ball today in their communications and their numbers seem to be favorable. Although, as I texted my wife today, I reminded her not to get excited until the ink is dry and the key is in your hand. I wish the new car acquisition proces was not so opaque and contentious, but such is the world we live in.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
3/27/24 5:35 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

Probably easier on March 31 than on April 1.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/28/24 8:10 a.m.

Anyone who has the patience to deal with new car purchases has my respect. Never have, and never will, buy a new vehicle because of all this nonsense.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/24 8:31 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

generally the higher end the vehicles will have higher end shopping experience. I was at a porsche dealership and they just threw 23 year old me the keys to a cayman, no hanging on to my license or having to put down a deposit first and no hard sale after. Buying my girlfriends used Honda Fit, it was exactly the opposite, salesman had to ride along with us,  we had to do the whole stereotypical dealership dance etc.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/28/24 8:37 a.m.

It's a Hyundai. The fun's just starting.

If you think you hate the dealer now, wait till you own one.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/28/24 8:46 a.m.

Wait wait wait lets back this train up a second. You're telling me we have a GRM contact, at a Toyota dealer in WINTER PARK? that's like 20 minutes from me and a Camry Hybrid recently went to #1 on my list after it was discovered that the rxwhatever hybrid. actually somehow gets worse mileage than an 11 year old nissan versa. Plus the new Camry hybrid ( and I can't believe I'm saying this) looks SWEEEEEET. 

JG Pasterjak
3/28/24 3:06 p.m.
Peabody said:

Not the first time I've heard this, unfortunately.

Full disclosure, I LOVE working with Hyundai whenever they do a media thing or a car launch or whatever. Their people are some of the most grounded we have the pleasure of working with, and many of the engineers of their N cars are fans of ours as well. But sadly this reputation does not extend to the dealer network. 

In a perfect world, I'll only be in a dealership twice in the next two years: Once to pick up the car and once to drop it off at the end of the term (or sign the buyout paperwork). 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/28/24 3:32 p.m.
Peabody said:

We had our first Santa Fe for 14 years. All it ever needed was a starter and a minor AC repair. The service department was fine.

The dealer back then was locally owned. They were straightforward to deal with.

The same dealer is now part of a Mega-chain that owns every dealer Hyundai dealer in town. The experience was ok but not as good as when it was locally owned. Basically they acted like a dealer. To their credit they were no near as high pressure as the company dealership cross town.

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
3/28/24 3:47 p.m.

I was looking at this deal too, if it's actually available. $239 per month for two years and $0 down. That's a cheap rental car. 24 cents a mile.

rdcyclist
3/28/24 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

No, I think it was 239/mo with 3500 down. If it's zero down, I'm heading to the dealer. And getting pissed off again like 20 years ago...

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
3/28/24 6:27 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

I did not verify with a dealership, but this is what I saw.

JG Pasterjak
3/28/24 6:44 p.m.
Racebrick said:

In reply to rdcyclist :

I did not verify with a dealership, but this is what I saw.

Yeah that $239/$0 deal is on the base Ioniq6, which is the sedan. The Ioniq5 crossover thingie is $229/$3500. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/28/24 10:17 p.m.

Since Costco was mentioned-

Long story but I've bought two new Hondas at two dealerships in the last month. A Civic for my daughter and an Accord for myself. In both cases I used the Costco program. Filled in the detailed ask, Costco referred me to the local dealer that had what I wanted in stock. Within a day, both dealers sent me a quote with the pre-negotiated Costco price, which was a substantial discount off of MSRP and as cheap as I had seen on the forums.  Neither car required financing or a trade-in.  I sent them my drivers license and insurance info and arranged a pickup date. For both cars I arrived to a pleasant salesperson, the car exactly as described, and drove away in less than an hour. 

So basically, two enthusiastic thumbs up for the Costco program. It's way more than just passing sales leads. 

rdcyclist
3/28/24 11:19 p.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

Holy Toledo! My first question: What's the catch? If you're doing any kind of daily mileage on Gasoline that could be close to a free car. Assuming you have access to reasonable recharging capability.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/29/24 2:53 a.m.

I’m heading to Orlando Sunday to see Circle Jerks/Descendents. 

Just saying. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/29/24 8:09 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Oooooh, that means Wallens gets to do TWO of his favorite things. Punk shows, and I-4! 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/29/24 8:55 a.m.
Spearfishin said:

"I'm going to ignore your question, tell you about three cars you're not interested in."

Sounds eerily like asking a car question on GRM! laugh

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/29/24 9:46 a.m.
dyintorace said:
JG Pasterjak said:

When I was looking up a few things about that Hyundai Santa Fe, I came across a currently unadvertised lease deal on 2024 Ioniq5 SELs for $229/mo with $3500 down here. There's even better deals on Ioniq6s, but the 5 is absolutely the perfect replacement for my wife's CX-5, and even if she hates it at $229/mo for two years it's not a particularly huge committment if she wants to switch gears in 24 months.

So now I'm emailing local Hyundai dealers and am trapped in dealership hell and am basically posting for sympathy. At this point I can't even get anyone to admit the deal exists, let alone whether or not their dealership is participating. Plenty of invitations to "come in and sit down," though. I'm trying my best to express to them that the only time they will ever see me will be when I'm picking up my new car. Hopefully today is light on walk ins and they feel like dealing with a reasonable customer over the internet.

So we'll see what happens. If anyone has a decent Florida Hyundai dealer to recommend I'm all ears.

The deal definitely exists on the Ioniq6. I'm in a few Ioniq6 groups online and folks have been able to get it. Check Reddit and FB. Both have Ioniq5 groups.

As for someone to call, try George Bonafede at Holler Hyundai in Winter Park. He sold us our Ioniq6 and is a very good autocrosser, very active in CFR and a legit car guy. As proof, here is a picture of him from Google sporting a familiar t-shirt.

George Bonafede GTBZR-1 and his ZR-1 (owned since '95) | Flickr

George is selling cars now? And total car dude, he helped me fine tune my autocross skills as a teenager with Martin Sports Car Club. Awesome dude and always had the coolest toys. 

Also Hyundai of New Port Richey - I settled the numbers for my Kona N prior to arrival. I was in and out of the dealer on a busy Friday afternoon in less than 45 minutes and that included the time to load it on a trailer. Max was my salesman, he's from NYC so if you can make a connection there. I got it at MSRP too during the height of ADM. 

Not Hyundai related but the dealer I picked up the latest Raptor from was also super helpful in executing car Ford sent to me. They got a friend into a Raptor R at MSRP and in and out in less than an hour as well. Kisselback down in Kissimmee. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gYZrFiWdGvtqYVU5ziqy2BpVbq6tzNVntASqRCZeu6Ej9MW46GSkqBBWwrbc7JDV