Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/10/23 11:54 a.m.
feature_image

This BMW has all the makings of a unicorn: Techno Violet? Check. Wagon body? Check. Turbo-diesel power? Check. Manual transmission? Check.

This 525tds Touring was imported into the United States in 2021 and comes accompanied by Polish and German documentation.

Currently showing 142,431 kilometers–or approximately 88,503 miles–the BMW comes fitted with an aftermarket Jensen head unit with the original Grundig …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
10/10/23 11:54 a.m.

I'll take 2.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
10/10/23 1:09 p.m.

Oh wow, I might actually watch this one....

Also....nice CM sticker.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/11/23 7:47 a.m.

If only it were brown...

Wait, maybe we should start a Purple-Manual-Diesel-RWD-Wagon cult!

I love it. Supposedly that engine is pretty well-regarded, too. Isn't that the same one Lincoln used in their diesel Continentals in the early 90s?

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/11/23 8:55 a.m.

Why yes, yes, I do need this. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/11/23 9:16 a.m.

I've never seen a car more in need of a drop.

I'm shocked they offered a pano roof in the mid 90's. Wonder what parts availability is like for that motor...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/11/23 9:38 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

It’s rally ready!

And, yeah, it’s way tempting. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
10/11/23 2:49 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

If only it were brown...

I love it. Supposedly that engine is pretty well-regarded, too. Isn't that the same one Lincoln used in their diesel Continentals in the early 90s?

Different engine. The Lincolns used the old M21 turbo diesel engine that was closer to the M20 E30-era engine design. This uses the M51 that is closer to the M50/M52 engines. This TDS is definitely the one to get from what I hear, where the M21 was a more lackluster engine with much less performance headroom. 

Also on the panoramic roof, the worst thing you can do with them is not use them. They tend to work fine until they start sticking. My 525iT had one, as did all the US market E34 tourings. It's more of a novelty than anything. You can side the front back, slide the rear forward, or kind of half open the front and the rear at the same time. I always wished it just had a normal single panel sunroof. 

Caperix
Caperix Reader
10/11/23 3:32 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

My father has a 94 525 tds wagon, I sent him this link as he may be listing his soon.  He has had good luck with service items for the m51, but has not had to pull the engine apart for anything needing gaskets.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
10/11/23 3:55 p.m.

I think I need a 3rd Bimmer wagon...

old_
old_ HalfDork
10/11/23 6:50 p.m.

Very cool

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/12/23 8:52 a.m.

Sweet.  The other thread about the $1.7B lottery?  Yeah... I'd be bidding on this to win. 

Colin Wood
10/12/23 10:21 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Where do I sign up?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
keqMyYu1AUFo9uc6UPkAVjfDyLD9SGE9nx1NnN6cXJaTjo5vVifbW2yK3p8a9Hhz