1 2 3
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/26/23 8:30 a.m.

I'm going to order a 2024 Miata ND-RF when the dealer says the order book is open. One of my issues with the Miata is the lack of colour choices. You can have a bunch of neutrals, Soul Red, or Deep Crystal Blue, which is damn near black. To make matters worse, the cars come with dark wheels ,too. Black wheels on a dark blue ND-RF practically disappear. I remember seeing different competition cars over the years with different coloured wheels, so I'm trying to come up with a non-typical colour. How about yellow on a Soul Red or Dark Gray Metallic RF?

The other thing is so many wheels are 10-12 spoke designs these days. I'm an old school guy and like simple 5 spoke rims and think they would look good on an ND. Thoughts please.

May be an image of text

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/23 9:07 a.m.

I too am not a fan of colored wheels. They always look dirty to me. It's unfortunate they painted the BBS option wheels black. I love my bright silver Advantis and how they contrast against the deep crystal blue. I think 5 spokes would look great in a bright, shiny, but not chrome finish.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/26/23 9:15 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I went to the dealership yesterday, specifically to see an ND-RF like yours. That blue is so dark that I didn't even notice the black roof until the salesman pointed it out. I wish it was a bit lighter colour because that's what I'd order just to be different from all the red ones at club meetings. Right now I'm not sure what I'll get. Yours certainly looks nice on those wheels though. I'd like to see one on some bright silver five spokes for comparison.

Edit: What width are those wheels?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/23 9:29 a.m.

I agree, I wish it was a little bluer and lighter. It looks nice when the sun hits it just right, but otherwise it's basically black. The wheels are stock size, 17x7. I went with a slightly wider tire, 215/45 vs the stock 205/45. Some people even run 225.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/23 10:06 a.m.

White wheels look fantastic on pretty much any color other than black. Yellow wheels belong on a yellow car.

Make sure to order lots of wheel cleaning products, you're going to need them.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/26/23 10:11 a.m.

Rufus was/is an attractive combo!

Count me in as also disliking the black wheel fad. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/26/23 10:31 a.m.

That grey green RF is begging for copper colored wheels. Would pop for days.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/23 10:45 a.m.

Our Mischievous Purple Mustang looks near black in too many circumstances, similar to the Deep Crystal Blue here.

It came with unfortunate black wheels. I chose bronze.

Colored wheels > black wheels

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
8/26/23 10:49 a.m.

Bronze wheels look good with most any color. Gunmetal goes well with any non dark color and hides brake dust very well. I really like bright silver/gray but they turn black immediately from brake dust.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/23 10:54 a.m.

Came here to post Rufus. The car looked good on silver wheels but absolutely fantastic on the bronze.

I hadn't realized Eternal Blue had fallen off the pallette. Too bad, it was an okay blue. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/26/23 11:10 a.m.

That version of bronze does look good.  I once rattle can'd the wheels on my Suzuki bronze; they had already been poorly painted a matte black by a previous owner (well, lease holder I believe) and the bronze was more to the brown side than the gold side.  I've since repainted them Rustoleum "Warm Gold" and I still like how that came out.  Car is red kind of like the car above. 

Gold wheels can look pretty good with almost any body color so that's my first suggestion. 

Red91sc
Red91sc New Reader
8/26/23 11:22 a.m.

That looks good. I also like simple 5 spokes in all the different shades of silver/gray.

They are also wayyyyy easier to clean than the multispokes which make your fingers hurt ha.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/26/23 11:44 a.m.

My favourite wheel:

Not sure it would look better in any other colour but possibly gold.....

I think these would look good on a Miata too:

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/26/23 12:12 p.m.

I have a set of white Kosei K1s that I have used on a white NB and a silver NB. They looked good on both, maybe a little better on the silver one. Not hard to keep clean because they are a simple design. I have a set of silver Rota RBs on my MINI that certainly get a test fit if I get the ND, just to see how a vintage style looks. I keep watching for a set of cheap used wheels to experiment with. A 17x7 wheel would work on both an ND and an R53 MINI. I just happen to have a 2nd MINI in the garage that could be the recipient of any experimental rims.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/26/23 12:16 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I do like the gold/bronze rims with the red. Looks really nice.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/26/23 12:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I hadn't realized Eternal Blue had fallen off the pallette. Too bad, it was an okay blue. 

If they still offered that blue, it would be an easy choice for me.Eternal Blue - Foro del Club Mazda MX-5 de España

EricM
EricM SuperDork
8/26/23 1:50 p.m.

Do they make them in white?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/26/23 3:00 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I am jealous of that set up; I miss riding my 125 GP bike.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
8/26/23 3:02 p.m.

Gold mesh wheels. I always vote gold mesh wheels. Especially on blue cars.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/26/23 3:04 p.m.

Well I obviously like painted wheels.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/23 3:10 p.m.

I Do like some nice gold mesh wheels!

Another vote for bronze as well:

I love the car.  I've put over 7,000 miles on it since May 1.  Might be the best car I have ever owned.  But, I just can't get use to the mafia look wheels.   Yet, anybody under 35 says they look great.  I might get around to either power-coating them bronze, flat silver,  or buying another set...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/26/23 8:37 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 (Forum Supporter) :

Those don't look bronze from here though?

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
8/26/23 9:10 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Well I obviously like painted wheels.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but I had a Civic Si hatch that had wheels like these with the gold section painted red to match the car.  I kept the rim polished aluminum.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/26/23 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Is your car the "Deep Crystal Mica"? That looks more blue than machinenbau's or the one I looked at yesterday.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
llo0kiRTv9Fw7XBmzQnipWfZGgxpohXdLZFAjpca23ZVT66vr1ohXTp1VB7hlr0Z