David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/14/24 2:39 p.m.

When talking early Athens bands, everyone quickly mentions R.E.M. and The B-52’s.

But Pylon was there, too, forming a year before R.E.M. Following the death of guitarist Randy Bewley, Pylon broke up for good in 2009.

The band’s spirit has continued with Pylon Reenactment Society–still Vanessa on vocals but a different lineup. I’ve seen them live. It’s 1988 all over again. On occasion, the surviving members have joined the updated group.

Pylon Reenactment Society just released its first LP, Magnet Factory, so giving it a little plug here.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/14/24 3:32 p.m.

Fascinating.  Never heard of them, but it does remind one of the B-52's.

David S. Wallens
2/14/24 3:58 p.m.

Born from the same party scene, you could say. 

Kate Pierson, plus the surviving members of the original Pylon, can be found in a video from the new album.

David S. Wallens
2/14/24 4:06 p.m.

This is from Athens, GA: Inside/Out, a documentary about the early Athens music scene, and came out during one of Pylon’s hiatuses. They opened for U2 and then decided to call it. I saw them open for R.E.M. after getting back together a few years later. 

And, I admit, I didn’t get it the first time I saw them. The second time, though, I realized I was watching one of the greatest bands ever. (I believe R.E.M. says the same thing.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
twn3QwaFiSTw6fMyxC88IwwAOFed4nwjP33mZbG2disRdkkAQsfpVtvIPS8sU4r5