1 2 3 4
mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/2/13 2:56 p.m.
nocones wrote: Serious question with fostering. Who pays medical? Will it be your coverage or is it state/fed?

I think it depends. Wife and I were contemplating foster before some radical life changes put the squash on that. At least the MN, The Man foots the bills for everything.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/13 3:37 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
nocones wrote: Serious question with fostering. Who pays medical? Will it be your coverage or is it state/fed?
I *think* it depends. Wife and I were contemplating foster before some radical life changes put the squash on that. At least the MN, The Man foots the bills for everything.

In WA the state foots the bill for everything. He can't even go onto our policies until he's legally adopted.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/2/13 4:21 p.m.

In GA kids in Foster Care are automatically enrolled in Medicaid. As mentioned above, they are not on private policies until they are out of state custody.

It's a bit of a PITA as you have to find doctors who will accept Medicaid (and their reduced payments) but most are decent about it.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/3/13 12:30 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I don't think I have your number. If you have time shoot me a pm and I will let you know if we end up being there tomorrow. Good luck on the surgery!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/3/13 9:51 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Congrats.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
8/3/13 11:32 a.m.

RE: Thread title: came here to say "sounds like someone already did" but no dice.
Congratulations! Hope the whole family enjoys it, I have a few friends brought up in the foster system and a good foster family makes a huge difference

Javelin
8/3/13 5:41 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Any luck yet? Sent you a PM.

To all: baby did great! We'll be here tonight too, but should go home tomorrow.

bgkast
8/3/13 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Nothing yet....

Glad to hear the surgery went well!

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
8/6/13 2:05 p.m.

congrats!!!

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/6/13 2:48 p.m.

Is it true with fostering that you basically have to take them to the emergency room for pretty much any sort of accident?

Javelin
8/6/13 3:18 p.m.

In reply to scardeal:

No, at least not in our state.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/6/13 3:59 p.m.

Nope. I treat the kids as I would my own. We had one who busted a tooth on a Saturday. Called around until I found a pediatric dentist who would open up on a Saturday to fix it. He didn't take Medicaid, so I paid out of pocket. On the flip side, for normal colds and such, just take them to the pediatrician. In fact, 8 kids, zero ER visits.

Javelin
11/19/13 1:27 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
Javelin wrote: CPS called and said they had a baby that could possibly be free & clear (AKA - adoptable) and SWMBO called me.
I know several people who thought this would happen with foster kids and it didn't. Good luck to you and the misses.

CPS just called SWMBO, little guy goes home to birth momma tomorrow. SWMBO is a berkeleying mess. I feel like somebody ripped all of my guts out. They were berking up so much we thought for sure he'd never go back.

I'm going to need a lot of drinks tomorrow night.

bgkast
11/19/13 1:34 p.m.

Sorry to hear that!

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/13 1:40 p.m.

really sorry to hear it

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/19/13 1:42 p.m.

Pseudonym
Pseudonym New Reader
11/19/13 1:48 p.m.

Sorry to hear that.

Looking on the bright side, I hope that his birth mother has turned over a new leaf and raises the kid right and into a great life. Short of that, I hope that the kid can come back into Javelin's life.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/13 1:48 p.m.

Damn, really sorry to hear that.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/19/13 1:50 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
Javelin wrote: CPS called and said they had a baby that could possibly be free & clear (AKA - adoptable) and SWMBO called me.
I know several people who thought this would happen with foster kids and it didn't. Good luck to you and the misses.
CPS just called SWMBO, little guy goes home to birth momma tomorrow. SWMBO is a berkeleying *mess*. I feel like somebody ripped all of my guts out. They were berking up so much we thought for sure he'd never go back. I'm going to need a lot of drinks tomorrow night.

Been there. You have my prayers. Cry. A lot. It helps. Lean on each other. You'll need it.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
11/19/13 9:53 p.m.

berkeley … just berkeley

golfduke
golfduke Dork
4/2/24 11:02 a.m.

I'm not a canoe and I know how old this thread is, but I need to bump it to the top... 

Our family have been fostering a wonderful baby girl for 9 months now, in hopes that we could adopt her.  It's been a wild ride and tumultuous to say the least, but we love her so much.  We just got word that she is being reunified with her birth mom on April 16th, and we are completely devastated.  Javelin- your words through searches have helped some- it truly does feel like someone is slowly ripping out your insides while you're present to feel it. 

I don't know why I'm writing this... I just, need to let it out somewhere.  I'm berkeleying hurting really bad, and it's really hard to find the silver lining  at this point in time.  The next two weeks are going to be freaking awful.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/2/24 11:26 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Been there with same result that can be read I'm this thread.

I'd be happy to talk direct.

...Jwelsh02...yahoo...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/2/24 11:40 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Thank you so much for fostering her.  I can't imagine going through this with a kitten, let alone a baby girl that you have let share your family life.

I'm so sorry for what you are experiencing here.  Please, please keep talking about your situation with us so we can share the load of your emotions.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/2/24 12:07 p.m.

The revival of this thread couldn't have been timed any better. My wife and I are on the list to foster, so we could have a kiddo any day now.

I'm here to help in any way I can.

DasAuto
DasAuto GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/24 12:34 p.m.
golfduke said:

I'm not a canoe and I know how old this thread is, but I need to bump it to the top... 

Our family have been fostering a wonderful baby girl for 9 months now, in hopes that we could adopt her.  It's been a wild ride and tumultuous to say the least, but we love her so much.  We just got word that she is being reunified with her birth mom on April 16th, and we are completely devastated.  Javelin- your words through searches have helped some- it truly does feel like someone is slowly ripping out your insides while you're present to feel it. 

I don't know why I'm writing this... I just, need to let it out somewhere.  I'm berkeleying hurting really bad, and it's really hard to find the silver lining  at this point in time.  The next two weeks are going to be freaking awful.  

Man, I'm so sorry. I know how much this hurts. If you need anything at all, I'm here for you. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6zaZltMBKpK2p36ZYSnNbDXHHZL6oNBcIiEEXKIReBNFwUzTBwwJYLt6ZTgn6SEO