1 ... 83 84 85 86
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/24 9:06 a.m.

One of my absolute favorite things is to shoot 2" steel at 100 yards with my 10/22. With the Sig green dot on it it is kind of cheating. It is fun to see a new shooter hit steel with that setup at 100. I was doing a event for new shooters at our club with it and it was fun to see people that never have shot before hitting an 8" plate at 100 coming off the bench just beaming. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/3/24 9:35 a.m.

I absolutely love shooting my Great great uncle's Mossberg US44(b). I absolutely hate the peep sites at dusk. It looks to have been tapped for a scope, or at least ready to be tapped for a scope. 

Pic for reference:

Mossberg/New Haven 44US (b) NSN Rifle .22LR | Smith Sales LLC

The bull barrel and full wood stock makes it heavy, but accurate. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/3/24 9:44 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Arizona Game & Fish used those target Mossbergs for hunter safety training many years ago.  They're really good shooters!

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/3/24 2:06 p.m.
Rodan said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

But it would be very nice to get something nice and not just the best bargain. Cry once...

I have found with most things, but guns especially, that getting what you want in the first place is usually less expensive and far less disappointing than a few attempts at 'good enough'.  Cry once, indeed.

Local sporting goods has a T1X MTR for a fair bit less than online retailers. The stock isn't my first choice, but the difference from the CZ at-one almost pays for a can and a stamp. Plus, bonus points for no shipping or transfer fee, or waiting for FedEx to lose it. I'll sleep on it and see if I feel like buying a rifle tomorrow. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/3/24 2:31 p.m.

That's basically the rifle I have, though mine came with a longer barrel.   The stock isn't great for serious accuracy, but that's an easy upgrade.

barefootcyborg5000
5/3/24 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I shouldered it and have no complaints, but it would be easy to modify or swap. I do like the idea of Finnish rifles for some reason. I called and had it held for me so it doesn't wander off. 

*edit for update. 
Rifle is in the safe. Had to order a rail since nobody had one locally, so I went to the shop with the full smith and had them order and will have them install and bore-sight the thing for me next week. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/4/24 8:15 p.m.

Y'all. This trigger. Mmmm. Can't wait for the rail to arrive and take it out for sighting in. 

dean1484
5/4/24 10:15 p.m.

Ever have one of those days where you just shoot really well?  I had one today. I could shoot any pistol I picked up so freekin well. Even ones I am usually not so great at (Looking at you Glock) I was stacking holes on top of each other.  I was shooting at 1/2 size ipsc targets at 10 yards and it was like I could not miss the A zones today.   

dean1484
5/5/24 5:06 p.m.

VP9. 10yards Cold barrel.  Got a little ahead of my self  if I went a bit slower it would be better

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/6/24 9:04 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Lately, I've started referring to those as "good eye days".  

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/6/24 9:07 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I absolutely hate the peep sites at dusk.

Have you tried different-sized apertures, or an adjustable aperture?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/6/24 9:19 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

The sights made for this were made in 1946. I have no desire to change them. If I want something better at those times I should just grab a marlin 60 or 10/22 and small scope and call it a day. This is just great at being what it is. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/6/24 9:53 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

The sights made for this were made in 1946. I have no desire to change them. If I want something better at those times I should just grab a marlin 60 or 10/22 and small scope and call it a day. This is just great at being what it is. 

I have a similar situation with grandpas 308. It's wearing a Leupold 4x that I'm sure has been there since new in the late 50s. I don't want to change it. It's been there 60+ years, and just looks right. 4x is hardly adequate for the ranges I like to shoot. But I can't just strap on some modern variable thing, it would look terrible. So I suppose I'll just leave it like it is. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/14/24 3:22 p.m.

Finally got my 'newest old' gun out to the range this morning.  Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 at 100yds shooting S&B 140gr soft points.  Not too shabby for a 122 year old military rifle with open sights.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
5/15/24 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Wish I'd bought a 6.5 Swede when they were stupid-cheap 30 years ago...

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/24 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

RE: 6.5X55

Very nice!  And I will agree with stroker.  I should have bought one when they were cheap.

dean1484
5/15/24 12:54 p.m.

My Son picked up a Ruger American Gen II in 556.  What a fantastic trail do-it-all rifle.  I have not tested its MOA yet with a proper scope but from the limited shooting I did with it I think this is going to be a rifle that is much better than its sub $600 price.  

I was thinking of getting one in 308 but having one in 556 is kind of cool.  More of a long-range plinker.  It sits very nicely between a 10/22 and one of my other 308/6.5Cm rifles.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/15/24 2:14 p.m.
stroker said:

In reply to Rodan :

Wish I'd bought a 6.5 Swede when they were stupid-cheap 30 years ago...

Me too!

dean1484
5/15/24 2:45 p.m.

So should I get a K31? 

It is in really REALLY good shape.  Like unrestored only shot a couple hundred rounds shape.

It comes with what appears to be the OE sling.

The asking price is $649 (Cabela's)

I have a K1911 (generation before the K31).  My Son and I refurbished this as a Father Son project.  Cleaned the wood (no sanding) and oiled it (mineral oil).  The metal parts were completely gunked up.  We cleaned every part and then lubricated them.  It is an excellent shooter.

The K31 is in much better OE condition than my K1911.  Almost collector condition.

7.5 Swiss is NLA for the moment

So purchase or pass on the K31.  What would you all do.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/15/24 2:52 p.m.

I don't know anything about the values on those, but everything I own is a shooter, so ammo availability is a factor.  Even handloading, some components (especially brass) can be very hard to come by.

It really comes down to:  if you want it, buy it!  wink

dean1484
5/15/24 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Ya I want it and I have amo for it in my stash.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/24 8:32 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Personally I didn't like the k31 because it has a tiny LOP fit for me

dean1484
5/18/24 12:10 p.m.

So it followed me home last night. Was a really good deal as it came with two mags and the barrel cover. First thing I had to check for was the tag under the but plate. It was there. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/18/24 12:41 p.m.

Finally got the rail installed and scope bore-sighted last night. Gonna try to get out this afternoon if the heat isn't too oppressive and the wind isn't blowing. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/18/24 9:15 p.m.

Windy day out in the AZ desert. Broke in the barrel and ran a few more for fun. 10-20 mph conditions. Still, had fun. Happy with the tikka. 
10round group at 50y:

1 ... 83 84 85 86

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K3uYy90W6ChAwurgpQR86OL5cgQn1Zl3PcmxSoMRJsHV3AfzfSHtRrSwEsEwwhFw