1 2 3 4
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/14 9:40 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tahapNWOR7g

There is nothing in this world, that sounds quite like a Detroit diesel at full song.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
6/17/14 10:07 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: A General Lee replica is on my bucket list. I nearly bought one several times. I was just getting into cars when that show was on the air and I was obsessed with it.

Also on my bucket list.

I test drove one back in '91. It was my first experience with crap-tastic Mopar handling - but boy could it move, even with 'only' a 383 automatic. I decided at $2200 there was simply too much rust (a little bit in the trunk...).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/14 9:20 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
kazoospec wrote: I still enjoy the old shows, but the movie was terrible.
I don't really agree. Go back and watch the first five episodes of the TV show - the ones actually filmed in Georgia, before Rosco became a clown and the show had a bit of an edge to it. From Wikipedia: "These first five episodes feature a noticeably different tone from the rest of the series, including some more adult-oriented humor, with some raunchier elements and slightly coarser language; several of the characters, primarily those of Rosco and Cooter, are also given different interpretation to their more recognized roles." The movie is closer to that template and then turns it up a notch. I'm not saying it's a great movie and I watch it all the time, but I think I understand what the producers were aiming for and I'd say they achieved it.

The big difference between the TV show and the movie was that, in the show, the boys were smart and the cops were goofballs. Even Boss Hogg wasn't an evil man, just greedy. In the movie, the boys were idiots and the cops were evil. Very different tone and it suffered for it.

I'll have to check out the early shows again, it's been a long time. I do remember that the shot of Daisy hitchhiking in her red bikini (in the opening) was from the first show.

I always wanted a bow just so I could shoot exploding arrows. Living in the city made that not okay, or so I was told.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/18/14 12:38 p.m.

I have 3 car memories from 1979, I lived in Colorado Springs:

A purple Opel GT in the garage.

My uncle's orange SAAB Sonett.

A General Lee replica in my neighborhood.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
6/18/14 1:20 p.m.

For a while, Roscoe P Coltrane (aka James Best) lived on Lake Murray in Cola SC and used to shop at my F-I-Ls meat market. F-I-L said he was nice and friendly at first, but apparently got tired of the attention. He later moved away.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
6/21/14 12:14 a.m.

Either I am going crazy or someone at work might be messing with me. I went to lock up the shop and activate the alarm and I swear just as I reached for the key pad I heard the General Lee's horn

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/21/14 1:12 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XonxZvXEPE

"Can we get it in orange?"

I thought the cars were the best part of the commercial, including the Viper at the end hanging the tail out.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8emaFh6nRrg2xR2nMMO2ZFM8u6QWhWGoTB3bwzhKTH10QlNKRg7Qw1PJY9VmUHLF