1 2
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/22 3:45 p.m.

Get to go to a urologist soon. Apparently my PSA score was the high score so far and the doc is concerned. Now, I did a search for what that means and I can tell you they do their best to scare the bejeebus outta you. Since I know we have a bit older "clientele" in here I thought I'd ask how many others have had their DRE's and what their experience is. Hopefully a little less frightening that 1 in 4 positive tests result in prostate cancer and death. 

So please share your not horrible stories and help me get through the next few days without going insane. 

EDIT: If y'all are gonna vote down a post to not see it this is the one. I won't mind at all.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/22 4:13 p.m.

I'm guessing this PSA isn't palmetto state or a public service announcement...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/22 4:14 p.m.

Sadly no. Although I was going to make a purchase from THAT psa.....

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
9/20/22 4:23 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Get to go to a urologist soon. Apparently my PSA score was the high score so far and the doc is concerned. Now, I did a search for what that means and I can tell you they do their best to scare the bejeebus outta you. Since I know we have a bit older "clientele" in here I thought I'd ask how many others have had their DRE's and what their experience is. Hopefully a little less frightening that 1 in 4 positive tests result in prostate cancer and death. 

PSA is Prostate Specific Antigen, associated with Adenocarcinoma of the prostate. It doesn't mean you have cancer, but it means whatever your doctor is telling you about future tests, you need to do. Prostate issues can be easily controlled.

Source is my nursing textbook, LeMone & Burke's Medical-Surgical Nursing 7th Edition. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 4:25 p.m.

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

(actually dad just had some screenings done for the same reason, so I listened well.)

There are multiple reasons PSA (prostate-specific antigen) can be high that aren't cancer.  Aging, sexual activity, hyperplasia, trauma (like if you took a bad fall on your butt), UTIs... lots of stuff.  Dad's turned out to be a non-issue.  Just age.  Don't freak out just yet.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
bobzilla said:

Sadly no. Although I was going to make a purchase from THAT psa.....

I haven't been happy with my purchases from PSA. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

yeah, my levels were consisent the last 3 years (.7-.8) and this year year 3.8. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
9/20/22 4:37 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

yeah, my levels were consisent the last 3 years (.7-.8) and this year year 3.8. 

To add onto Curtis's comment, lots of those things you'd also soon be searching for treatment for anyway.

Hyperplasia of the prostate? It swells so big it cuts off urine escaping, it's extremely painful and I've known men who needed incisions and catheters into the bladder itself to drain them. Infections can jack up your kidneys before you realize. And not to be too vulgar, but a swollen prostate can keep you from orgasm in sex.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/20/22 4:39 p.m.

Could be a lot of things. Did you and the wifey have some fun in the 48 hours prior to the test? Or did you have some alone time? That'd make it happen. Could also be due to having had Covid (not a significantly higher amount for pre and post, but it is still higher for post)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/22 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'll gladly take it off your hands.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/22 4:42 p.m.
mtn said:

Could be a lot of things. Did you and the wifey have some fun in the 48 hours prior to the test? Or did you have some alone time? That'd make it happen. Could also be due to having had Covid (not a significantly higher amount for pre and post, but it is still higher for post)

sadly no. It was a wednesday late morning and the wife was sick that weekend.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 4:44 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

It was just build kits.  Missing or wrong parts.  I've already replaced affected parts.

And excuse me nothing fun for 48 hours beforehand?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

well that would be nice. My depression meds already stop that from happening (which is the cruelest of jokes... oh you're depressed? No happy ending for you!). I have had harder time with the whole peeing thing... can't wait so long.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/22 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

she was sick, I was tired and the puppy is just wearing me out.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
9/20/22 4:50 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

If you don't mind me asking have you recently had a prostate exam? Lots can be "felt", and just reading your text makes me think you're already getting some amount of enlargement.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

that's what is coming I believe. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/22 5:25 p.m.

Get that prostate checked out. There are lots of potential treatments, none of which sound that much fun (roto-rooter, implanted radiated seeds, directed radiation, etc.) What you don't want to do is ignore it. Treatment should help if there is a cancer issue and it could also help with the urination issue. There are meds that can help with both the frequency and urge issues. TBCH I take one for both. In my case, it's a combo of aging and two spinal cord injuries. Do I care what caused it, no. Am I making the best of it? Yep.

I also deal with an enlarged prostate but have had a steady PSA level for years. I'm sure one day that will change. When my Dad went through his bout with PC his Dr told him that all men will get it someday. His treatment also included hormone shots which help reduce the size of the prostate. He then had the joy of having hot flashes and truly understanding what my Mom had been trying to explain to him for years. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/20/22 8:25 p.m.

Our neighbor growing up was an oncologist. He told Dad that if you make it to 75(? maybe younger than that), if you don't die from it, you'll die with it. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/20/22 9:51 p.m.

You didn't spank the monkey enough.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
9/20/22 10:10 p.m.

I've been dealing with it for about 6 years, so I have a long story. Probably more info than Bobzilla needs but since we're primarily a group of aging males this info might help others. I wish I'd known more initially.

My problems started with urgency and frequency issues (about 57 YO) and built up to painful urine retention. About the time it was getting bad enough where I was going to go see a Dr. I had a heart attack. While in the recovery ICU after stent surgery I couldn't urinate and was in pain so they gave me a catheter which caused some internal bleeding. Then an IV fluid drip pumped me full of fluids again to the point of pain and I still couldn't urinate. So they said that because I needed another catheter combined with the bleeding the first time they would have to give me a Foley (cath with a little blow up bubble inside the bladder to keep it in place with a bag taped to the leg). I was told how to care for the Foley and that I'd need to see a urologist a week after being released to have the Foley removed. ummmm OK

I call for appointment with the urologist to get the Foley removed and they want me to stay on the Foley a few more weeks and get blood work that included a PSA test before an appointment.  During the appointment they fill my bladder (using the catheter in reverse with fresh water) and then remove Foley to see if I can control my bladder and hold the water. I literally have to run to the restroom and can't hold the water. Then I got the finger up the butt treatment to feel my prostate. They can sense the size and texture which gives them an idea of your prostate. Rough feeling is a possible indication of cancer. So then, the Dr. tells me my PSA is 14 and a normal score for my age should be 3-4 and I need to talk to him in his office after I dress.  So I expected the "Might be cancer" talk and that's exactly what I got. Instructions to get another blood test in a month and scheduled me for another office visit after the blood test. 

After going home that day, the urgency and pain from a full bladder was back after a few hours so I went back to the urologists office where they put a Foley back in and sent me away for the month. When I went for the next appointment my PSA had gone down to 12,  they gave me the finger up the butt routine, removed the Foley, and I had another conversation with the Dr. who explained that because the PSA score had not gone down significantly I should get an ultrasound to determine my prostate size and I would have to "self cath" if I couldn't urinate.  I was instructed on catheter insertion and given a box of cath samples as well as prescription for more, and was told to use a catheter if I couldn't pee.  They gave me another appointment a few weeks later for an ultrasound of the prostate. 

Catheters used in hospitals are flimsy rubbery tubes they coat with lube and insert up your hootus to your bladder. A male "self cath" (for standing use) is a semi flexible hard plastic tube that is lubed and inserted. There are pre-lubed caths as well as lube-your-own types. Typical adult male cath is 16" long, a bit thinner than a bic pen, and are available in different diameters as well as tip designs. When you first see how big the thing is you need to shove up inside yourself you realize the bladder is much higher up than you'd think. The lube is water soluable and about the consistency of sex lube. Some types of caths work better than others for individuals, I've tried about a half dozen different types both pre lubed and lube-your-own.  Currently lube-your-own are $50.00 for a box of 30 and Pre-lubed are like $80.00 or more. 

Anyway, the ultrasound showed I had an enlarged prostate so the recommendation was to have a biopsy of the prostate done and I was given another appointment a few weeks later along with instructions to give myself an enema prior to the appointment. I was told that I would need to take it easy for the rest of the day after the biopsy but that it was a common procedure, wasn't a big deal, and was very routine.

My appointment was scheduled a couple days before a major hurricane was about to hit us (Irma IIRC) so I was trying to do hurricane prep at the time knowing I'd lose a day. The enema didn't go well at all and if I'd had my phone I would have called an ambulance from the bathroom floor where I was laying in a puddle of sweat. After the symptoms from the enema subsided I showered and went to the Dr.'s office where the biopsy procedure didn't go well either. The biopsy is done through your butt and they pierce your prostate a dozen or more times snipping out meaty bits of the prostate, yes you feel it. While Dr. was working inside me stuff starts crashing behind me in the room but I can't see the nurse trying to stop it and can't move because I was told not to move while Dr. was operating. I get cleaned up and go home.

Since they're piercing through the prostate it's expected that you'll have blood in your urine afterward and pee blood clots for a day or two, however, I had a lot of blood and I also felt really weak days later and called the Dr. who was with his family at the airport bugging out because of the hurricane when he returned my call. He said well most guys don't have much of a problem being weak etc. but just take it easy and due to the blood thinners and anticoagulants required by the heart stent surgery the bleeding wasn't an issue and should stop. He did however give me the good news that the test results had come in just before he'd left and I didn't have cancer. I had a lot of bleeding through the hurricane plus another week or so. Overall it was the biopsy from hell. Meanwhile I still had to use a catheter occasionally which I'm sure slowed the healing process.

Once I knew I didn't have cancer I blew off going back to the Dr. (no health ins) until my prescriptions ran out  and I had to make another office visit to get them updated. Of course that also meant a PSA test where I was back up to 14. Since then it's been 4 years and I keep getting 12's so it seems like there isn't much change and the Dr. doesn't seem concerned. Meanwhile my prostate is continuing to grow  and pinching off flow more and more and my cath usage is pretty much daily at this point. Sometimes (but rarely) more than once a day, and I occasionally get days or several when I don't have to use a cath. Bleeding from cath use isn't really unusual and I go through periods with and without bleeding.

I need to get the roto rooter operation for enlarged prostates Hobiercr mentioned, but it's not in my budget. It's called TURP and what they do is go up your hootus and scrape out the inside of your prostate which is also your urethra in that area. Supposedly that can eliminate symptoms for like 15 years. There are also a couple other operations for enlarged prostates that have been used successfully the past few years that are gaining in popularity. My next door neighbor had the cancer and went through the radiation treatment. He's been cancer free a few years now.

I should mention that it's common practice to do ultrasounds on your bladder externally. So when you first enter the urologists office they may ask you to go urinate and then they'll do a non invasive ultrasound to see if you're retaining urine after peeing. If you've been diagnosed as retaining they'll probably have you do that every visit to note any change.

Cadman5
Cadman5 Reader
9/20/22 11:02 p.m.

My PSA spiked about a year ago and I freaked out. My primary care DR said "calm down, it might just be a minor infection. Take this antibiotic for a few weeks". A few weeks later, PSA normal. 

GET IT CHECKED OUT, but don't freak out yet.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/22 12:18 a.m.

No personal experience, but from what I've read there are a ton of other things that cause high PSAs and it's been criticized as a test because of that factor.  I agree that sort of test result can be scary, but remember the mantra "horses not zebras".

As for prostate cancer in general, from what I've read every man with a prostate will eventually get prostate cancer if he doesn't die of something else first.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
9/21/22 5:08 a.m.

I have had a high psa (4.5) for about 10 years and I am doing what the Drs call watchful waiting. This spring my psa was 9 so the dr ordered an MRI. This found 3 masses 2 of which had scores that would indicate they were most likely cancer. So I was very unhappy as my dad died from prostate cancer. I went for the biopsy, the dr used a newer method which penetrated the taint and under full anesthesia. The results were clear of cancer for all 17 samples. So even though my psa is high everything is ok. So I would say just relax until you have the final results. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/21/22 6:00 a.m.

Prostate cancer isn't common in dads side because the men never lived long enough. Not a joke. Before dad all the Miller men died by 56. We have some genetic heart issues that have to be monitored (dad found out and now my doc knows so I have less chance). If I was a woman I'd be nervous because ovarian cancer is common. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/22 10:01 a.m.

bobzilla,

I'm dealing with much the same issues.   Just had a MRI.  Waiting on those results.

I suggest reading at this site:   www.urologyweb.com

I have done a month of serious research.  I have friends that have successfully been treated without invasive surgery.  There are new solutions out there that are not as extreme as the past.

I'm trying to keep thinking positive.

OBTW... 3.8 is not a high number.  smiley

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vgNZioJZj7w7wGT9vLxaG64t4If1VIjypBM1MED81rWWYbpwevrEAIksxrjkR21s