1 2
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/20 2:52 p.m.

How about getting a riser put in with a lid poking out of the ground so you don't have to dig it up every time?

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/15/20 3:58 p.m.

If I lived someplace where water was abundant, real grass would be obvious. 

Problem is, I've got approximately 20" of rain from March until Today.  

Much of the west is like that. Poor soils, poor water, too hot. 

Yea, having plastic across the yard kinda sucks, but so does "wasting" water for a few months of pleasant grass. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/20 7:26 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

How about getting a riser put in with a lid poking out of the ground so you don't have to dig it up every time?

Because that would just make sense.

I decided I'm going to mow again before I start digging. Once I have the top exposed I'll look into a riser vs a wishing well or some other object.

My big concern with an object is snakes living under it, my concern with a riser is needing to mow between it and the sidewalk. 

Septic is all new to me. When I was 3 maybe 4 we were forced to tie into municipal sewers, hell of a scam that was at the time, but it saved me from needing to learn about them until now. 

They're coming Monday to empty it out, I plan on picking the guys brain as much as I can, in part because I don't know anything about this stuff*, and in part because I don't want to put my garden in the leech bed, but I'm not sure where that is. 

*aside from the basics, no food, no cigarette butts, no feminine products, no grease or oil, septic safe toilet paper and soaps. 

There's a municipal waste treatment plant in town, about 2 miles from the house. I fully expect to have to pay some extortionate sewage tap in fee in the future, but that's just my being pessimistic. Technically I'm not in town, but I don't even know who I need to go buy a beer to find out for sure.

RevRico
9/15/20 7:39 p.m.

and just because... 

The white ring is where the septic is, roughly. The blue is going to be next years garden. As for the rest, I wish so hard I could just turf it and be done.

I'd get some sheep or a goat, but I've been told by the children I won't be allowed to eat them, so that makes it a moot point to me, not raising livestock I can't eat. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/20 8:03 p.m.

Go to Wholesale septic supply dot com and buy some polylok risers. Install them yourself. They come in 12,6 and 2 inch increments to match the height of your lawn and are green. If your system is older find and clean your distribution box as well and put a riser on it as well.  And artificial grass is not recommended as you need the aerobic bacteria that lives in well aerated organic soil. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
9/15/20 8:27 p.m.

Ask the pumping company if you need to locate it or is that included? Usually it's part of the service. 

bearmtnmartin
9/15/20 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Most of them charge to locate, charge to dig and charge to install risers. If you want all three done plus the pump it can get pricey.

RevRico
9/15/20 9:23 p.m.

Pumping up to 1,000 gallons is $250. I don't know if this is a 1 or 2 thousand gallon tank. 

Locating is $100 on top of it. I already know where it is from the last time they did it, I just don't trust the neighbor in his number of years since its been done. There's a very telltale depression and entirely different type of grass to back up the neighbor saying that's where it was. They used a ditch witch though, I'll be using a shovel. 

I didn't ask about risers, but I'll call the place by my mom's house that makes septic tanks about one once I get it uncovered. Might as well go straight to the source, right?

I only called the septic company that the previous owners left on a note, because all the other people they used for stuff knew the property, knew the people, and actually have some history with the place. To me, the chance of being able to talk to people that know the property is worth a little extra manual labor on my part, at least the first time. 

Like the furnace guy they noted  actually installed the system, and lives right up the street, I won't get a more familiar tech anywhere else. I'm kinda hoping the driver on Monday is the same, just gets out of the truck "oh this was Andy's place, how you liking it? How are the bandaids holding up? Yea I know this furnace, installed it for him and he was super anal about keeping up on maintenance for it."

bearmtnmartin
9/15/20 10:06 p.m.

It will most likely be 800 to 1200 gallons. If it is more listen to see if it is running back from the field after the tank is empty. Your pumper will recognise the sound and meaning. And it is not a job to be done while you are away and don't buy the line about leaving the solids in the tank. It should be verified empty except a couple inches of dirty water. Also clean your filter if you have one.

RevRico
9/16/20 3:04 p.m.

so am I correct in assuming this bit with the metal ring and the handles is the lid? That is conveniently located partially UNDER the berkeleying sidewalk?

Edit: confirmed with neighbor, that's the lid. 28" diameter, 20 inches deep. There's a second lid looking thing without handles on it further away from the sidewalk I'll ask about Monday.

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
9/16/20 5:35 p.m.

I'm pretty sure you have to clean it every 3 years per state regs..

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
9/16/20 7:13 p.m.

That's the main lid, which you shouldn't need to ever open, the pump out access is much smaller, like 6 inches. 

bearmtnmartin
9/17/20 12:15 a.m.

Actually you should always pump from the big lid closest to the house as that is where the solids collect. Can't move the hose around and collect everything through the small ports. But if you have a filter it will be under the lid farthest from the house. 

RevRico
9/17/20 2:34 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I dug up everything. All I Found was that lid, and a similar sized chunk of round concrete without a metal band around it. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/17/20 12:45 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I couldn't help but notice that this is a very Brady backyard...  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/17/20 12:52 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:
mr2s2000elise said:

I couldn't help but notice that this is a very Brady backyard...  

Thank you. Not sure what that actually means, but I will take it, whether positive or negative. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/20 2:23 p.m.
RevRico said:

Maybe I'll do a wishing well... 

Make sure to include a self service bucket for thirsty passersby...just use a smaller bucket so people don't get too $hit faced. cheeky

I'll see myself out.

RevRico
9/17/20 2:36 p.m.
neverdone said:

I'm pretty sure you have to clean it every 3 years per state regs..

Wouldn't surprise me if the state did have regulations, but knowing how incompetent and understaffed the state is, it's not a worry.

What is a worry is 3 females in the house that go through 2.5 rolls of tp a week, on top of the 6 loads of laundry, 6 dishwasher loads, and 3 hand loads of not dishwasher safe stuff. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/17/20 2:59 p.m.
RevRico said:

What is a worry is 3 females in the house that go through 2.5 rolls of tp a week, on top of the 6 loads of laundry, 6 dishwasher loads, and 3 hand loads of not dishwasher safe stuff. 

WOW! We are at 1/6 of your usage, with a same size household.

RevRico
9/17/20 3:16 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Yea it's ridiculous. I thought it would cut back when school started up again because less outfit changes, less people eating at home during the day, and nope, somehow still full loads of laundry and dishwasher almost every day. 

I'm just glad I don't live where some of the members here do. I saw people in the rant thread talking about $600 water bills, even filling the pool twice and dealing with multiple plumbing leaks our last quarter was only $190. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/17/20 4:09 p.m.

I live in an area with $800 water bill  and $700 electric bill 

but I am a cheapskate and spend nowhere to close to that on utilities 

albeit I spend too much on home improvements 

but around here my properties sometimes outpace my 401k and 529 - thus my self justifications 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
9/17/20 4:54 p.m.

The best thing you can get for septic is a front load washing machine. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/20 6:35 p.m.

Dad used to dig.  He put a flowerbed where the digging is and he got tired of it.  Last time, he had a riser installed.  Basically a 4'x4' concrete box with a manhole cover on top.  It is now just a few inches below grade and he parked a half-barrel planter on it.  Now he can just scoot the barrel and rake 3" of dirt away and he's there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ablsJQAjFv2gqjniBKwpG2SVmY78FOjjX6G85o00jpBtpzG8pGjy8a0uXyrwBbdM