1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
3/26/24 8:11 p.m.

I read one report that indicated SOP for loss of propulsion is to drop both anchors, and that, if this was in fact done, it's possible the starboard anchor touched first, swinging the bow to starboard. No idea if this will prove out, but simply an additional factor that will be considered.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
3/26/24 8:12 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Note the barriers constructed around the the power line poles. Bigger than the bridge supports. Someone thought to protect them.

CDN media

Those were built in the last 3 years, they're also 400 feet tall to accommodate the larger boats. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
3/26/24 8:13 p.m.
02Pilot said:

I read one report that indicated SOP for loss of propulsion is to drop both anchors, and that, if this was in fact done, it's possible the starboard anchor touched first, swinging the bow to starboard. No idea if this will prove out, but simply an additional factor that will be considered.

Both anchors were dropped according to the video linked a few pages back. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/24 8:13 p.m.
BoulderG said:

Anyone think this will prompt a review of bridge, tunnel, and road maintenance and repair?
Seems like many states have 'imperfect' funding methods, whether it's privately owned toll roads or diverted or easily-cut funding, and much more.

This was a sudden and catastrophic accident. Will it change things systemically?

There's almost zero percent chance of change. There will be meetings, there will be ideas, there may even be plans. But when it comes time for funding to implement them this will be forgotten and the cost will be unjustifiable. For all the reasons Secratariata points out and probably a few others our systems prevents us from really accomplishing much. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
3/26/24 8:33 p.m.

If you've never seen these ships up close, photos really don't show how massive they are. Picture a standard shipping container, if you've been near one, and how big one is. Now picture the back wall of the ship, that's 135 of them. Now picture 75 of those stacks. That's what this ship can hold. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
3/26/24 8:35 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

<dad hat on>. Couple years ago we had two young women go missing. Found out that they went into a retention pond in the winter. Couldn't get out and drowned.  Bought these. In my car now.  </dad hat off>

https://a.co/d/i3FrseT

resqme. Designed by a fire fighter made in USA. 

Not that falling off a bridge that big would allow us to survive. But you know. 

They're also a good thing to keep on the keychain of a dual-use car because they can be handy for escaping a car with a 3pt belt and full windows that's upside-down and on fire.

As I learned during a conversation on this topic today, if you are driving a modern vehicle those are probably dang near worthless.  Since sometime in the late 20teens cars have been coming with laminated side windows as well as windshields.  Had to go confirm during the conversation and sure enough my 2017 ford and the wife's 2021 GM both have laminated side windows.  Those breakers WILL NOT break laminated windows, only tempered.  However as a small positive the rear passenger windows in both vehicles are still tempered not laminated.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/26/24 8:39 p.m.

Did anyone else watch the slow motion (heck maybe it was real time) port video and track the lights of the cars going across... Waiting for the collision to take the road away?

And.. dang. Charleston's cooper river bridge was really built 20 years ago. 

johndej
johndej UltraDork
3/26/24 8:42 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Yup, nothing the fire department had could break tesla windows to free the billionaire wife of a shipping tycoon trapped submerge in a pond a few weeks ago, even standing on roof hitting with sledgehammer, coincidence? I absolutely think so and this post is only of novelty value.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/26/24 8:58 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Note the barriers constructed around the the power line poles. Bigger than the bridge supports. Someone thought to protect them.

I imagine that is there for visibility as much as protection. The bridge is a large substantial visual target, while the poles are slim and more likely to disappear against the background.

Many people seem to glossing over the fact that the bridge WAS protected by dolphins on both sides of the bridge on both sides of the main channel.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/24 8:59 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

In commerce situations like this, do the shippers know the cost of problems like this?  The lost commerce would go a long way paying for repairs- plus, they should also share in bridge construction since they have specific needs to meet?  (Yes that is a question, even poorly worded)

Not 100% sure I understand your question, so if I don't give you the answer you're looking for we can try again.

I'd say that the shipping (ocean going vessels) industry has no idea of the costs related to construction and maintenance of automotive infrastructure. To the best of my knowledge there are no related fees charged to them unless the road to the port is a toll road and even then the trucking industry probably pays those fees and passes them on to the product owner in some manner. I assume they pay some sort of fees related to docking at the port and loading/unloading cargo, but I expect those fees go to funding repairs and improvements to the port facility and dredging channels to maintain or improve depth for the ships.

As far as economic impact to shipping firms and product owners, I'm certain that they are acutely aware of what it costs them per hour to not have port access and to reroute to another port if access is shut down long enough. Just thinking about the backlog that occurred in Long Beach & LA a few years ago.

Edit: Some of the largest ships have to wait for low tide in order to have enough vertical clearance to get beneath bridges to access a port and some ports are not accessible at all to the largest container ships. I know Charleston was that way prior to demolition of the older Grace and Pearman bridges over the Cooper River.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
3/26/24 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

10,000 TEU or twenty foot equivalent units is what the wiki page read.  That is a lot of containers indeed. Those ones on the stern look like they could be 53 footers.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/26/24 9:01 p.m.

Given the bridge requirements for shipping, my opinion is that they should share in the cost. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/24 9:14 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I don't disagree, but that isn't the system that is currently in place.

Also, as cars & trucks get better fuel mileage the current US system of taxing the fuel is generating less funding per mile driven and it is very difficult to get increases in that tax rate or to index it to actual fuel price or inflation. Part of why we pay significantly less per gallon of gas and diesel than other parts of the world and have infrastructure that gets a D or D- grade from the American Society of Civil Engineers.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
3/26/24 9:15 p.m.
11GTCS said:

10,000 TEU or twenty foot equivalent units is what the wiki page read.  That is a lot of containers indeed. Those ones on the stern look like they could be 53 footers.

Maersk doesn't use 53 Footers, they could be 40s, so picture 38 of them if they are ;). Standing near one at the dock is crazy, they're just huge   

No Time
No Time UltraDork
3/26/24 9:46 p.m.

I'm not surprised they don't use 53s, they way they load them I don't think a 53 would to be a legal weight to transport by truck.

I remember  getting those after they were trucked to the break bulk terminal to unload. We used to get them full from front to back, floor to ceiling with Reebok sneakers. They stuffed them so full there wasn't any empty space.

neverdone
neverdone Reader
3/26/24 9:57 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) : Well said.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/26/24 10:02 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Given the bridge requirements for shipping, my opinion is that they should share in the cost. 

The shipping needs a channel and a dock. It's the local municipality that needs a road across the channel. That particular road is irrelevant to the shipping.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/26/24 10:13 p.m.

Not sure if this has been covered:

- The bridge was apparently made aware the ship was out of control and stopped traffic over the bridge before the hit.

- Baltimore is a major roll on / roll off port and as such is a primary port for shipping cars and trucks.  This might create some shortage / cost issues with new cars (mostly foreign I suspect). 

No Time
No Time UltraDork
3/26/24 10:22 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

The local news station was interviewing Ernie Boch tonight about the impact this will have on Subaru of New England and new vehicle supplies for the near future. 

He said there will definitely be some impact, but too early to know how big or how long. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/26/24 11:04 p.m.
Duke said:
alfadriver said:

The shipping needs a channel and a dock. It's the local municipality that needs a road across the channel. That particular road is irrelevant to the shipping.

Until one of them runs into the bridge, blocking all shipping traffic. One kind of commerce can't block another. They share the passage. 

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS New Reader
3/26/24 11:09 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

In Charleston the State Ports Authority did contribute significantly to building the Ravenel bridge which opened up larger shipping to their ports. Now they are proposing replacing a different bridge for more port space, and will likely contribute to that as well. The shippers pay fees to the SPA, so I guess in a way they do? It all comes back to the consumers and tax payers ultimately. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
3/26/24 11:37 p.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/27/24 12:01 a.m.
aircooled said:

Not sure if this has been covered:

- The bridge was apparently made aware the ship was out of control and stopped traffic over the bridge before the hit.

- Baltimore is a major roll on / roll off port and as such is a primary port for shipping cars and trucks.  This might create some shortage / cost issues with new cars (mostly foreign I suspect). 

I heard on the radio that at least a couple manufacturers (BMW and I think VW) unload their cars at a dock that's on the 'safe' side of the bridge, so their deliveries won't be affected.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/24 6:13 a.m.
johndej said:

In reply to JThw8 :

Yup, nothing the fire department had could break tesla windows to free the billionaire wife of a shipping tycoon trapped submerge in a pond a few weeks ago, even standing on roof hitting with sledgehammer, coincidence? I absolutely think so and this post is only of novelty value.

Some of them won't cut a seatbelt either. My mother got me one for Christmas years ago. At work a wheelchair strap got stuck so I grabbed it out of my car to try it out. The handle snapped and the blade cut my hand.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
3/27/24 6:27 a.m.

So a few things.

• The bridge was not in a deficient state prior to the collision -Md governor
  • I know of no bridge that is built to withstand a collision from a ship of this size -us secretary of transportation
  • In the minutes prior to collision, when the ship lost power the pilot had the rudder thrown hard to port and both anchors were dropped to try to slow it down. It was also the pilot who called mayday resulting in the rapid stopping of traffic on the bridge. It sounds like he did everything in his power.
  • To me at least, the main thrust of the investigation for root cause and potential blame is why the vessel lost power. We have heard very little on this, but the NTSB is investigating the whole thing, you know this will be a focus. 
  • Dolphins and barriers are great, but it would be beyond huge to build something for a vessel like this, especially if it's getting crossed up in the channel by momentum and currents. I don't know the specifics, but my quick thoughts on it casts doubt. 
  • We don't know how many of the remaining people were inside a vehicle at time of drop, they were a construction crew.
  • With the distance of the drop and surrounding bridge materials, I doubt the glass type is a primary factor in their survivability 
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qUzHb4pzPKEGJPdZvZ7qjUsC195UURBQnQx21zl0zDTZczJ515mHqCcvhAIZE3Hu