1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/9/19 10:14 p.m.

Tonight I came across a pool of water in the cabinet under my sink.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't there the other day.  

Its leaking out the bottom of the garbage disposal - not coming from the pipe junction.  I'm about to tear it apart to investigate, but my understanding is I will need to replace it.  Of course in typical form, I need to do this tomorrow when my day is already full and I am celebrating my son's birthday here after work.

Its an InSinkErator Badger 5.  Basic unit, 1/2 hp.  Questions:

1)  I understand that the most likely cause of internal leak is corrosion.  Should I pony up for the SS unit?

2) Are the dims for all of the pipe fittings the same across the brand?  Across other brands?  I want to just drop in a new unit, not do extra plumbing work.

3) Should I be considering other brands?

Am I missing anything?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/19 10:47 p.m.

Just get the same one at derpot and do it again in 10 years.  The longest part of switching it out should be changing the cord over from the old unit to the new one.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/10/19 6:11 a.m.

Last time I replace my disposal, I sprung for a more expensive one, and it was worth it because it is so quiet. The downside is that since it doesn't make much more noise than the sound of the water running, I guess could forget it is on.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/19 6:46 a.m.

I just replaced ours. Went to Lowes/Depot and bought the mid grade. It fit without issue. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/10/19 9:04 a.m.

I've done a couple.  They're not bad.  Insinkerator is a popular brand, just get another one, although the connections are pretty standard.

About how long did this one last?

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
6/10/19 9:13 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I've done a couple.  They're not bad.  Insinkerator is a popular brand, just get another one, although the connections are pretty standard.

I just did one in our house - an Insinkerator, one of the extra quiet ones. Had great reviews and Amazon was ~$50 cheaper than a big box store. I got a new cord/plug with mine as well. Hardest part was getting the snap ring on, but setting some weight in the sink to hold the flange in place (I used a fire extinguisher) helps a ton

wae
wae SuperDork
6/10/19 9:25 a.m.

If you want to cry once/buy once, get a Waste King.  My family was in the kitchen business for about 50 years and that's all they'd ever recommend.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/10/19 9:31 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Yeah, I imagine if the connections are the same its a 5 min job.  This one is a piece of cake to take in and out.

This one came with the house, so at the oldest its ~16 years.  If its $50 more to have something that will last twice as long, I'll pay for that.  I hate sending stuff to the landfill.

I'd probably be happy getting rid of it, but I am selling the house soon so its good to keep.  Also I don't want to re-do any plumbing work right now.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/12/19 5:10 p.m.

WTF.

So I have a Badger 1.  I bought a Badger 1 at Lowes.  Its even marketed as easy-swap.  The connections are totally different.

The new has a 2 hold flange with a 90 deg pipe.  Instructions show this going down to a p-trap.

The old one has a threaded connection that connects to the existing pipe under my sink that runs to the RH side (p-trap is under the other side of the sink).

Patrick
6/12/19 5:56 p.m.

That’s new to me, and I’ve done hundreds of them.  You can get a straight outlet at the store and throw the 90* one in your “I’m never going to use this E36 M3 but i’ll keep it anyway” box in the basement

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/19 6:27 p.m.

Just remember to break off the plastic inlet for the dishwasher waste. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/12/19 6:51 p.m.
Slippery said:

huh?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/12/19 7:00 p.m.

Use silicone to seal the drain flange.  Plumbers putty doesn't last as long.

Slippery
6/12/19 7:10 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Slippery said:

huh?

The dishwasher drain is usually sealed up from the factory. You have to break off the plastic cover. They make them like this in case you do not have a dishwasher. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/12/19 7:34 p.m.

That assumes your dishwasher drains into the garbage disposal of course. Not all do. 

Slippery
6/12/19 7:46 p.m.
dculberson said:

That assumes your dishwasher drains into the garbage disposal of course. Not all do. 

Good point. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/12/19 9:16 p.m.

Ah.  Yeah mine drains into the main pipe on the other side of the sink.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
6/12/19 10:16 p.m.

I second the Waste King recommendation. Word of warning though- it is significantly larger under-sink than the IN-Sinkerator, but I've sent a whole potato through it without it really blinking.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
6/13/19 7:11 a.m.

As a lifetime badger owner who recently moved into a place with a waste king, it’s worth it for the quietness. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/13/19 7:27 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

As a lifetime badger owner who recently moved into a place with a waste king, it’s worth it for the quietness. 

I think you are talking about a model difference, not a brand difference?

If you look at a waste king and insinkerator lower end models side by side at Lowes, they are similar in every way.  The waste king is like 30% cheaper.

They probably have a higher end model, but so does insinkerator.

Patrick
6/13/19 7:30 a.m.

The higher end insinkerator is the same badger looking unit with a plastic case full of insulation around it.  I took one apart once for science.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/19 7:53 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Lowes sells the adapter for a double sink. Usually hanging in a bag right by the disposals. 

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
6/13/19 11:30 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

To get the same sound level and motor power in the two brands, you're paying more than double (sometimes triple) for the InSinkerator. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
6/13/19 12:07 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Its an InSinkErator Badger 5.  Basic unit, 1/2 hp. 

ProDarwin said:

WTF.

So I have a Badger 1.  I bought a Badger 1 at Lowes.

I think these words are not the same... 

Badger 1 is smaller, 1/3 hp.

I'm no help, never had one in our house.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/13/19 12:19 p.m.
llysgennad said:
ProDarwin said:

Its an InSinkErator Badger 5.  Basic unit, 1/2 hp. 

ProDarwin said:

WTF.

So I have a Badger 1.  I bought a Badger 1 at Lowes.

I think these words are not the same... 

Badger 1 is smaller, 1/3 hp.

I'm no help, never had one in our house.

Yeah, my first post was wrong.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8UjDMZoQOqJaqDoSkgK9Vna9NBt3zZbJTsb7DhnzurVpB5wh6su0IjoWWVbGHRiz