foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/22/09 4:57 a.m.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92258

It's the perfect tool for jacking that back room on the house to replace rotting beams. Wife loved it, and thinks I should get a few more to go jack the porch roof and replace the posts.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
4/22/09 6:04 a.m.

I dunno. 1500 pounds is not much of a load rating for that use. An adjustable steel column, aka lolly column, is probably rated to 10x that and about the same price... maybe less.

But if Mrs. Foxtrapper is happy, who am I to say....

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/22/09 12:39 p.m.

Lolly columns cost similar and are rated higher, but they don't have nearly as much adjustment, don't have the handy foot, and my rear room doesn't weigh much.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
4/22/09 12:43 p.m.

When you get it, let me know if there's an easy way to shorten it... I've been looking for a similar tool but with a 24"-40" range to work under my scissor lift...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/22/09 3:36 p.m.

Oh, I got it. Yes, it can be easily shortened. The main tube just drops into the base and loosely bolts in place.

If you don't need the foot bump pedal, you can get it without that for something like $10 less.

RussellH
RussellH Reader
4/22/09 3:38 p.m.
Ian F wrote: When you get it, let me know if there's an easy way to shorten it... I've been looking for a similar tool but with a 24"-40" range to work under my scissor lift...

+1 !! same here...

RussellH
RussellH Reader
4/22/09 3:40 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Lolly columns cost similar and are rated higher, but they don't have nearly as much adjustment, don't have the handy foot, and my rear room doesn't weigh much.

If you needed it to bear higher loads couldn't you use two and evenly distribute the load.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/22/09 6:52 p.m.
RussellH wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: Lolly columns cost similar and are rated higher, but they don't have nearly as much adjustment, don't have the handy foot, and my rear room doesn't weigh much.
If you needed it to bear higher loads couldn't you use two and evenly distribute the load.

Sure. That's why Ms. Foxtrapper thinks I should buy a few more to do the front porch roof with. Not so much the weight there, but the balancing of the load.

With the far corner of the back room sitting on it, I couldn't actually use the foot bouncy pedal. So that may be a superfluous feature, but I thought it looked nifty.

BTW, these units have ball bearings under the twirly thingy, and good acme threads, which makes then darn easy to rotate and raise with. Especially compared to a lolly pole, which has no ball bearings and no twirly thingy. On a lolly pole you just unscrew the extension directly, which makes augering into the load a problem.

alex
alex HalfDork
4/22/09 11:35 p.m.

I just bought 5 Kobalt bottle jacks rated at 40,000# for $50 each. Those plus rough 2x4 columns with custom 'stabilizers' screwed together jacked my folks' deck about 6" today so I could undo 17 years worth of sinking into a hillside that's eroding away.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/23/09 7:17 a.m.

Using bottle jacks to lift a house is very invigorating in a "I am man. I lift house. Cower to my might." kinda way.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
4/23/09 8:00 a.m.
RussellH wrote:
Ian F wrote: When you get it, let me know if there's an easy way to shorten it... I've been looking for a similar tool but with a 24"-40" range to work under my scissor lift...
+1 !! same here...

Hmm... I'll have to take another look at one the next time I'm in the H-F store... I'll let you know how it goes...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bU4YFTW6dvDChIp4djTbzKhvCpG1EkdZn6hX93N6iwrjSOaLL3nk3tkv0jKq12G1