1 2 3
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/18/13 10:24 a.m.
nderwater wrote: She can bid on local errands and jobs at taskrabbit.com.

Ooh! Good one.....that's something new that nobody had mentioned.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/18/13 10:56 a.m.

For about 9 years my wife worked from home scheduling meetings for people who worked for places like John Hancock. They would sell wholesale to Financial Planners and such so my wife would set up thier schedule. She did not make a ton of money but the work was easy and she could do almost whenever she had time.

I can find out how to reach out if you are interested.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/18/13 12:19 p.m.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_385574142_9?ie=UTF8&node=3077232011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07F7J1ZHCJD4VZS9BVHY&pf_rd_t=10301&pf_rd_p=1685499382&pf_rd_i=overview

work from home virtual call center. Not your state, but maybe the idea will work. 20 hours a week.....

Fueled by Caffeine
12/18/13 12:24 p.m.

http://workathomemoms.about.com/od/callcenterdataentry/tp/Part-Time-Work-At-Home.htm

try that.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/18/13 12:53 p.m.

call centers require no background noise, and the last one that she applied to anyway said "overqualified"

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
12/18/13 1:21 p.m.

It's the perpetual conundrum, isn't it? Earn more, or spend less. Keeping in mind every dollar you ear only puts about 66 cents into your pocket, while every dollar you don't spend puts a dollar into your pocket. Still, at some point you can only spend so much less. From what I know about tuna, he's right about there. I don't even know if he has a TV or a telephone anymore. For all I know he may only have internet at work. Or a bathroom.

Hey, I have to admit, I'm so cheap I try to time my morning movements to be at work, for the free T.P.

We've been trying to think about what extra $$ Volvowife (or Mrs. Clearinghouse, if you prefer) could bring home working from home. She makes hand-made glass housewares and jewelry that sell on etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/GardenDaisiesStudio?ref=shop_sugg) and looked into blogging but the $$/time ratio is pretty not worth it. She used to wait tables, and swore to never go back, plus that takes commuting, gas, more time, etc. I dunno. It's tough. If everyone could make easy money it probably wouldn't be worth so much.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/18/13 1:58 p.m.

We put one of our kids in a private Christian school. Expensive for one, but if we stick the other 2 in there it is only another 1$150.00 per month. Try shopping schools for a multi kid deal. Also, our son is there because of learning issues, and despite not being in a special program, he now gets one on one help and is light years ahead of where he was.

Fueled by Caffeine
12/18/13 2:10 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: call centers require no background noise, and the last one that she applied to anyway said "overqualified"

if you were in another state, I could help with that.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/18/13 2:24 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Yeah, the school and the Leaf are our only real voluntary expenses. We have a mortgage, a $57/month cell phone bill (for the house), a $40 internet bill, a $40/year Amazon Prime thing, and food, power/water for the rest.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
12/18/13 3:55 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: You guys know the kind of stuff I can do.

I don't.. not on here enough to remember! Might be worth throwing it up and we can see what might stick

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/19/14 1:56 p.m.

Ok folks, it's been a long road, but she took on two additional private lessons at home and got a neat freelancing gig where she writes worksheets for a curriculum and the pay is not bad, $75 per, probably hanging around two per week.

Also it looks like we are going to homeschool tunakids 1-3 next year, thus saving nearly ten grand next year.

Thanks, all

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/5/20 7:44 a.m.

Zombie thread alert.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/5/20 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Damn....And I took the time to scan the thread hopping to see how it had all turned out. Been 8 years and a lot has happened Chez Tunas.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/5/20 8:42 a.m.

A lot!

May as well give a canoe-prompted update.

Tunawife homeschools our four kids. She is also the content manager for Kidding Around Greenville and Kidding Around Spartanburg, which are websites catering to kid activities in the area, obviously. She earns a decent amount,m and we get some perks and enjoy knowing cool stuff which we would not normally know about. She still does some lessons from home as well.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/5/20 8:43 a.m.

Also I earn a little less than double what I did when I posted last. That helps more.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/20 10:08 a.m.
mndsm said:
tuna55 wrote: The stuff you guys are mentioning has been are is now being researched. Seems like job openings that are actually posted somewhere public are rare.

You gotta do some digging sometimes. Check out stuff like Care.com, and Craigslist. Get your name out there. That's how the wife has made all her cake. She got one rich person, and the rest fell in place based on her resume.

More LOCAL advertising. Post flyers in snooty coffee shops and high end grocery stores in high income areas. Search zip codes to find really high avg income areas (sometimes you have to be more specific than zip code though). 

Also, keep in mind you may have to act a bit like a music snob even if you are not. For example, I know a woman who is a full time piano teacher in Miami. She exclusively teaches like 10 kids a week or less and doesn't need any other job (she also has really low expenses with no family to support, but still). I mentioned to her one time that we have a cheap electric keyboard at home and I leave it on the ground so my young kids can noodle at any time if they are interested. She looked at me aghast and said "You cannot do that! Children need to learn that the piano is NOT a toy."

Finally, ask high prices (there are many many many reasons for this). $100/ 1 hr lesson or $400/month or something. Maybe higher.

Edit, tricked by the zombie! Welcome to October I guess. I thought your kids were older lol.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TUv4XVastbeD8BGkvqWQBrCc2mhF5bMqex6tAL7nx9MMnUqgCu1qfA7Dm8K88TBa