vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/20 7:29 a.m.

So Gov Kemp is set to waive the road test for new drivers during the pandemic. Because, you know, no testing is better than some! Don't get me wrong, the DMV road test is a joke but at least it weeds out some seriously bad drivers. 23 percent of those who attempt it here in VT fail on the first try so that's something. We just had a head to head with the Agency of Education and the DMV requesting a waiver for in car training with a licensed and certified instructor. Most of my students have barely had 2 hours in the car with me before they shut the school down. Teaching DE over the internet is not easy. As we all know there's no replacement for actual seat time as a learning tool. Boggles my mind that people would even consider decreasing training or eliminate the test. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/30/20 7:43 a.m.

I don't understand why they don't just push back issuance of new driver's licenses. I mean it's not like we want to encourage a bunch of people to be going places anyway. I mean if you could not drive last week there's really no reason you absolutely need to drive this week, in most cases. 

Seems short-sighted.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/30/20 7:54 a.m.

Its a sad reality that many people see driving as a right, not a privilege to be earned. A lot of it stems from the lack of public transportation alternatives in the vast majority of the country. If you cant drive, its rather hard to hold down a job or not be dependent on someone else (though in many places Uber/Lyft has helped). That said, putting someone who is not trained and tested behind the wheel of a fast moving 2 ton mass is downright dangerous.

One could flounder around about it, but thats the give and take as I see it. 

Personally, I would extend permits, but not grant without testing. But then, I am by profession a safety weenie. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/30/20 9:33 a.m.

But don't we constantly complain about how bad driver training is in the states? 

"OMG, you can parallel park, here is your license."

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/20 9:39 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

Its a sad reality that many people see driving as a right, not a privilege to be earned.

Driving is a right. Driving on public roads is a privilege. 

That's where the confusion comes from.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
4/30/20 9:51 a.m.

I wish our driving tests were as tough and stringent as Japan's. Also as expensive.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/30/20 10:12 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Seems short-sighted.

Lots of things Georgia is doing right now seem short-sighted.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/30/20 11:06 a.m.

As a Georgia resident who has already been in enough accidents caused by lousy drivers, this pisses me off. People will get hurt and lawsuits will fly.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
4/30/20 11:23 a.m.

So the test is apparently not for safety. Since it will be waived as a measure to keep people "safe" from COVID death.

So what was the test actually for?

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
4/30/20 11:25 a.m.

In reply to TopNoodles :

Increase the amount of people on the road, thereby increasing registration fees and taxes, and so on and so forth...

No Time
No Time Dork
4/30/20 11:54 a.m.
z31maniac said:

But don't we constantly complain about how bad driver training is in the states? 

It's a low bar, but at least with testing there is bar that needs to be cleared.

My son was supposed to take the drivers ed classroom portion over April vacation, but it was cancelled. We passed on the online version knowing it was not going to be a good mix with his ADHD.

We'll just wait it out, let him drive me around occasionally, and get him in a class when we can. He doesn't have anyplace to go right now. 

What GA is proposing to do gets even scarier when you think about how many of those licenses could go to kids whose parents may not be willing to ride with them to even get practice. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/30/20 12:05 p.m.

I'm a native Georgian and have lived here all my life so far. I love the land here, the people often less so. But lately our state government's choices have me reconsidering if I want to relocate long term. But it's probably the same everywhere.

I suspect I'm in less danger from this than the good people in Atlanta just from density and driving environment but it's one more good reason to stay home if I can.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/30/20 12:06 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I sure as hell do. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CAyXts8lLTaN1zKdxjsuPtkKhFcrXfren7znYhh8ne2nGR23A8Tq4i0f429Kkhge