No Time
No Time SuperDork
3/3/22 11:04 p.m.

Came across this when searching for parts to rebuilt my 1998 Ram:

Ram - no title

The nose looks good, but how much risk with the lack of paperwork?

I don't have a salvage title, even though the truck was totaled by the insurance, the MA doesn't care. So no inspection necessary before putting it on the road. 

I figure my son could strip the nose and all the parts he needs off it, then part out out as much as possible, maybe set the trans in a corner of the shed, and scrap the rest. 

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/22 7:09 a.m.

I'm sure a bank still has the title, or it could be stolen.  Either way it's not his to sell.  That's why I have always avoided cars without titles.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/22 7:37 a.m.

I would definitely want to know why there's no title. It could be a lien, it could be a death in the family.  Does carfax tell you if there are lienholders? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/4/22 7:39 a.m.

Tony is looking for a good 5.9....

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
3/4/22 8:47 a.m.

I've bought many parts vehicles without titles, all pretty much $500 or less. My issue with that truck is the price but I still haven't came to terms with the current used car/parts car market prices. However, everyone has to make their own choices when it comes to buying a vehicle without a title. I personally never got the vibe from a seller that the vehicle was stolen or anything shady or I wouldn't have bought it. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/4/22 9:24 a.m.

If your spidey sense goes off, pass. Otherwise grab it, use what you need, cut the rest up into bits to be headed for China.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
3/4/22 9:35 a.m.

So this was the response when I asked about the paperwork:

Seems plausible, and based on the value, probably not a lot of incentive to go through the process to get the title situation resolved. 

Any thoughts?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/22 10:23 a.m.

Unless you cut it up into little pieces you may have trouble scrapping it when you're done.  In most title states scrap yards need paperwork to accept a motor vehicle.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
3/4/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I was wondering about the  disposal issue, and also how these companies that advertise no title needed are doing it. Even if I lose out on the scrap metal money for them to deal disposal it could be worth it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TZJ9XX8rTO84SfeLnKXUGVcwE11Kt2uSapalbh5NjdP8uv2OvIucfhJ4aFl0hp0R