1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/14 2:37 p.m.

Let's see, 1 stabbing at some Navy place, a shooting at a school, a shooting at a courthouse, and now one at a Miami university...is this a new record?

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
6/6/14 2:44 p.m.

Sounds like a slow Tuesday around Chicagoland.

GameboyRMH
6/6/14 2:46 p.m.

Going Postal is not the same thing as Bustin' a Cap/Blastin' a Fool

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
6/6/14 2:55 p.m.

But not one of these incidents involves a postal employee!

Postal slur!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/6/14 2:57 p.m.

Then the guy in Canada, the shooting in Seattle..........it's insane.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/6/14 2:59 p.m.

welcome to world wide 24/7 news coverage.

GameboyRMH
6/6/14 3:01 p.m.

Pretty sure we've had similar coverage for at least a few years now and I don't think there have been this many in one day...

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
6/6/14 3:08 p.m.

Crime always picks up in the summer.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/6/14 3:16 p.m.

This will happen more and more. A side effect of the "Lets run news basically memorializing the perpetrator/talking about them all the time/etc" bullE36 M3.

I'll bet that if you were to run a story of an attack referring to the perp as a "Degenerate sack of excrement" instead of glorifying them, several of these wouldn't occur.

GameboyRMH
6/6/14 3:22 p.m.

^You may be right:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/06/justice/seattle-campus-shooting/

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/6/14 3:22 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

That's what I'm saying.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/6/14 3:34 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Oh I'm probably more right in this case than most will care to admit.....not that it will ever change things.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/6/14 3:37 p.m.

Nope, don't want to admit you're part of the problem while reporting the "problem".

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
6/6/14 3:54 p.m.

The courthouse is my hometown..

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/police-activity-around-forsyth-courthouse/ngFsZ/

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/6/14 4:17 p.m.
yamaha wrote: This will happen more and more. A side effect of the "Lets run news basically memorializing the perpetrator/talking about them all the time/etc" bullE36 M3. I'll bet that if you were to run a story of an attack referring to the perp as a "Degenerate sack of excrement" instead of glorifying them, several of these wouldn't occur.

This.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/6/14 4:20 p.m.
Grizz wrote: Crime always picks up in the summer.

Truth. The last the weeks, I've worked one night of overtime each and I've heard gunshots each night.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
6/6/14 4:52 p.m.
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) wrote: The courthouse is my hometown.. http://www.ajc.com/news/news/police-activity-around-forsyth-courthouse/ngFsZ/

Came here to say this.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
6/6/14 6:06 p.m.

Are there more of them or is CNN just putting them on the front page more and more lately?

Seems like they only publicize the ones that happen or affect people in certain tax brackets. I havent seen one gang shooting in Chicago, Oakland, D.C. or Baltimore bringing the outrage from people supposidly out raged by these events.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
6/6/14 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Lancer007:

The media is making a bigger stink about it. Gun crime has been going down for the last 20 years, but you wouldn't know it according to the 24 hour news outlets.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
6/6/14 6:31 p.m.

Gun crimes (generic) and gang shootings are different then the mass murders going on recently.

Not many people care about gang bangers shooting each other up. They DO care when schools, malls, and movie theaters get shot up by suicidal lunatics.

I would like to see (not really the statistics on mass murders over the decades.

I agree that the names of shooters should not be spoken in the news. I like "degenerate sack of excrement" though.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
6/6/14 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Cone_Junkie:

The problem with that line of thought is that it's rarely just gang bangers shooting each other up, there's other folks that get hit as well. Although according to the numbers, a very large number of gun homicide victims are themselves criminals. Something like 2k of the 11k or so gun homicides we had weren't gang related. The smart thing to do would be to go after gangs.

However, Mass murders probably still fall under "statistical anomaly and not very likely to happen to you" end of the spectrum in the US.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/6/14 7:36 p.m.

Actually, mass murders are down. Reporting on them is up, though.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/7/14 11:21 a.m.

Meh, Jon Stewart put it perfectly--we've moved through the stages of grieving about mass shootings and we're now at "acceptance".

"Oh, another shooting--oh well, what are you gonna do?"

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
6/8/14 7:22 a.m.

Actually, I kind of wish the media would cover the recent ones at the courthouse and in Seattle a little more, since the results for the shooter were "dead before he got out of his car" and "pepper sprayed, dog piled and arrested". Probably not the glorious mayhem they envisioned.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/8/14 9:21 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

The Seattle one was stopped by a pro2a guy allegedly, so they'll keep that one swept under the rug as it doesn't fit their agenda.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8p61D489UDKqzI8NCE1WMe8VU43C1NMhETrlBNvkvqyZ8kUigtnmRZDpvdCCbyBK