1 2
tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/15/20 3:26 p.m.

It occurred to me that we have zero functional flashlights other than our phones. Oh we have lots and lots, but the children have managed to destroy them all. This includes a four D cell Maglite. I want a decent light. I don't need to light up my friends house in the next state. Let's assume I want one for each of the cars, one for the gun safe, a few for drawers, and would prefer not Chinese. I would like a set of contradictory requirements to be met, that they be inexpensive enough that I won't want to strike the child with the dead flashlight when they destroy it, but also durable enough that they probably won't destroy it.

Go!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/15/20 3:39 p.m.

I've got a few of these, or rather Lavolta branded ones from P-E which they apparently don't sell anymore.  I paid right around 20 for the light, a 18650 Li-Ion battery, an AC recharger, and a 3-cell AAA adapter.  They're pretty awesome.

https://www.parts-express.com/stahl-tools-f10wc-5-cree-xml2(t6)-10w-led-flashlight-with-18650-li-ion-battery-and-charger---361-654

Will
Will UltraDork
5/15/20 3:49 p.m.

Not Chinese makes this harder.

Personally, I like the Streamlight 1L-1AA. Makes 350 lumens on a CR123 battery, which is plenty for most uses. But it can also run on a AA battery at slightly reduced power, which is neat if you need to find replacement battery at a gas station, etc.

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/15/20 4:24 p.m.

Pelican Products Saberlite.

I am still using one I bought in the early 80's.  It came with a lifetime warranty except for shark bite, bear attack and children under 5. I think the current models removed the exceptions.  Waterproof to 2K feet.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/15/20 4:31 p.m.

I carry and use a Streamlight everyday. I am required to have a FL for work. I carry a Microstream USB in the side pouch of my Leatherman Wave belt holster. Very bright, very tight, and it recharges of off a regular phone's charger.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66608-Flashlight-Micro-Stream/dp/B07DLZXZV1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3VMOQSAQ4F1VJ&dchild=1&keywords=streamlight+microstream+usb&qid=1589578184&sprefix=Streamlight+micro%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-1

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/18/20 10:16 a.m.

How about head lamp? I spend a RIDICULOUS amount of time looking for one made in not in mainland China (anywhere but militarily hostile and slave labor is fine with me) and found this for $22. It's just fine. I got the 150. "Princeton Tec"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UAAC2QK/

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
5/18/20 11:39 a.m.

My circa '03 Petzl headlamp still works, it's pretty dated and heavy by today's standards, it has both LED and xenon bulbs, and 4x AA batteries on the back of your head, it mostly hangs on the wall.

I bought a pair of NEBO Big Larry Pros based on recommendations from a similar thread here a while back.  I really liked them at first, but they didn't survive me.  I wouldn't say I abused them excessively, but I wasn't gentle on them, just general automotive use, but I'm clumsy have poor dexterity, and drop things frequently.  If you're less of a bull in a China shop type than me, they may hold up for you.

It's for sure Chinese, but currently I'm using the HF 390 Lumen Magnetic Slim Bar Folding LED Work Light and it's survived regular abuse since last Black Friday, when I bought it on a whim for ~$18 after the death of my 2nd Big Larry.  It's taken a few tumbles, onto the concrete and hasn't died yet.

I've got a Surefire G2X Tactical on my "bump in the night mitigator," and it's like carrying around a small quasar, it will fully illuminate my average suburban back yard from my back door. 

Also Chinese, but I've got a bunch of these cheap little UltraFire 300 Lumen lights, 1 in each car, junk drawer, night stand, and have give a lot of them as cheap gifts.  They're pretty good, and cheap enough, to buy in bulk and scatter them like confetti.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/20 12:23 p.m.

I found this elsewhere, a handy list of Made in the USA lights.

Baja Designs

Elzetta

First Light USA

HDS Systems

Inforce

Koehler Brightstar

• www.flashlight.com – Industrial grade polymer flashlights with various certifications for hazardous work conditions such as mining. Koehler flashlights are made in the USA but their headlamps are not.

Light & Motion

• www.lightandmotion.com – A variety of high quality lights.  I own and recommend their Vis 360 bike light and Vis Pro 600 headlamp.

Maglite

Malkoff Devices

• www.malkoffdevices.com – Premium flashlights and drop in LED assemblies for Surefire, Maglite, and Streamlight flashlights.

Ogaz/TnC Products

Oveready

• www.oveready.com – Premium quality flashlights.  Retailer of multiple other brands. 

Phantom Products

Photon (Micro Light)

Peak LED Solutions

Pelican

• www.pelican.com – They have a variety of waterproof flashlights but only some of the plastic handled models are American built.

Princeton Tec

• www.princetontec.com – Headlamps, flashlights and lanterns.  I own and highly recommend the Apex, Sync, Axis headlamps.

Prometheus

Streamlight

• www.streamlight.com – Some of their top tier lights like the Stinger and Strion series are assembled in the USA but most of their items are made overseas.

Surefire

• www.surefire.com – Premium performance flashlights, headlamps, weapon lights, batteries, etc.

Tektite

Texas Lumens

Underwater Kinetics

• www.uwk.com – Their plastic housing flashlights are built in the USA.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/20 12:29 p.m.

Not sure where they are made, but my go-to right now is Coast. I love their G32 and smaller inspection beams.

https://coastportland.com/collections/led-flashlights/products/g32

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/18/20 12:37 p.m.

I have the NEBO Big Larry and the HF knockoff.  Honestly they work identically and the HF on was like $8.

That and I keep somewhere between 5 and 20 of those little $1 LED flashlights that HF sells and is usually next to the cash register at autozone.  If my total purchase is just under the $20 threshold I'll grab one to get over.  They might work for a week, might work for years, total crapshoot.  But still FAR better than the old days of incandescent bulbs. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/18/20 1:38 p.m.

I've had pretty good luck with Maglite. I carry a LED Solitaire on my keys and have a non LED bigger light by my nightstand. The Solitaire eats batteries like no other but always works. Not many parts to it and you can pick them up for $10-$15 at any Lowes Depot.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/18/20 2:16 p.m.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/tasco-led-flashlight/prod16420024

WE have 6 of these (one is being used as a weapon light for an AR). Fantastic for the price point. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/18/20 2:43 p.m.

I don't use flashlights much anymore, but I keep some in all of the cars. I've had lots of maglights but the cheap "tactical" LED flashlights are a bargain.

Likely all Chinese, though. I have a few labelled as Bell and Howell that came from the hammer store. Small, brighter than a four D maglight, coupons are in nearly every ad.

I use headlamps all the time, practically daily (uh...nightly).

At present, my regular is a Bisgear 6000. They're no longer on Amazon, and I had to replace the batteries, but I like it. 

I also began using a headlamp in surgery. One of the problems with that is not being able to touch it without breaking the sterile field.

I bought a Neiko Sensor ADV I, which goes on and off if you wave your hand in front of it, depending on the setting.

It worked fine for other uses but camping style headlamps are just not sufficient for medical use.

After consultation with a lot of other veterinarians, I finally broke down and went for the best. I bought a Ronin surgical headlamp.

A used one (company demo, like new), with a substantial discount was more than challenge car money, but no regrets. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/20 6:06 p.m.

I've bought my wife and my two daughters their very own tape measurers, flash lights, and some basics hand tools in an effort to stop them from raiding my nice, organized shop space.

Zero success...they literally use stuff once and the moment they're done with it, gravity takes over and the tool comes to rest on the ground directly below where it was the moment it was no longer required.

I E36 M3 you not, no exaggeration, I even have an eye witness that frequents this board that can attest to the accuracy of my claim.

I rented a tent cabin in Yosemite a few years ago and the poor camper before me left a cop grade skull crusher (aka, four D cell Mag Light) behind.  One of my daughters got her hands on it at some point and that sucker has been gone-baby-gone ever since.

Not helpful, I know, sorry for the rant.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/18/20 6:21 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

I've bought my wife and my two daughters their very own tape measurers, flash lights, and some basics hand tools in an effort to stop them from raiding my nice, organized shop space.

Zero success...they literally use stuff once and the moment they're down with it, gravity takes over and the tool comes to rest on the ground directly below where it was the moment it was no longer required.

I E36 M3 you not, no exaggeration, I even have an eye witness that frequents this board that can attest to the accuracy of my claim.

I rented a tent cabin in Yosemite a few years ago and the poor camper before me left a cop grade skull crusher (aka, four D cell Mag Light) behind.  One of my daughters got her hands on it at some point and that sucker has been gone-baby-gone ever since.

"I feel your pain." And I have certainly witnessed this phenomenon. Repeatedly.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/20 6:58 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
RX Reven' said:

Zero success...they literally use stuff once and the moment they're down with it, gravity takes over and the tool comes to rest on the ground directly below where it was the moment it was no longer required.

"I feel your pain." And I have certainly witnessed this phenomenon. Repeatedly.

You're a veterinarian and I'm a medical device engineer...we both live in a world of knowing that getting it wrong means harming living things and although I don't know you personally, I bet you do exactly what I do...keep everything as organized, and logical, and consistent, and simple, and efficient, and mistake proofed as humanly possible to minimize that damn risk that keeps us up at night.

It's not like you can turn that mindset off when your workday ends.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/20 11:02 p.m.

I have a fenix pd40. It's been a very good and bright light. It even spent a weekend submerged in saltwater in the bilge of my boat and still works. The salt did a great job eating the aluminum, but it still works! The newer models seem to have issues, friends have a pd30 and have sent it back twice for switch repairs.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 8:33 a.m.

I got a Milwaukee 700 lumen rechargeable flashlight recently. A bit pricey to be giving one to eack of the family but as a work flashlight it is about the best I have used. I regularly do IR scans of roofs and a small but bright light is critical. This one has been great.  I don't take it in the house for fear of it going missing. Instead it is kept in my car and gets charged off a phone charger when needed. 

Link

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/19/20 8:45 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

How does a visible spectrum flashlight work for infrared scans?

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/19/20 9:19 a.m.

No good USA made and also cheap enough lights, so I caved. I am sorry guys.

It happened because of of my kids never goes to sleep on time. I woke up and did Dad stuff (started laundry, emptied dishwasher, ate, exercised, shaved) and was leaving the house to go to work (more Dad stuff) when I had to do that other Dad thing, turn off all lights. Kid #2 had a light coming from his bed. It turns out we do have a working flashlight, and it's from last Christmas. It's a record in my home, so I bought six of them.

https://www.rei.com/product/107729/uco-leschi-lantern

They are pretty versitile, and REI is a great company, so done.

Sorry everyone.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
5/19/20 10:00 a.m.
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) said:
REI is a great company.

Neat looking light though.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 10:06 a.m.
P3PPY said:

In reply to dean1484 :

How does a visible spectrum flashlight work for infrared scans?

It has no affect on the IR end of things.  My IR camera only detects heat.  I do the scans at night.  It is used to see things so I don't trip on things when doing the scan.

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/20 10:18 a.m.

I'm still using a Streamlight ProTac HL. It has been my daily carry for 4-5 years. Not only durable, but they have the best belt holster on the market by far. At $65 they aren't particularly cheap, but cheaper than buying a $30 light every year or so. Also not made in the USA.

swintyulna
swintyulna New Reader
11/17/20 4:27 a.m.
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) said:

It occurred to me that we have zero functional flashlights other than our phones. Oh we have lots and lots, but the children have managed to destroy them all. This includes a four D cell Maglite. I want a decent light. I don't need to light up my friends house in the next state. Let's assume I want one for each of the cars, one for the gun safe, a few for drawers, and would prefer not Chinese. I would like a set of contradictory requirements to be met, that they be inexpensive enough that I won't want to strike the child with the dead flashlight when they destroy it, but also durable enough that they probably won't destroy it.

Go!

Definitely not Chinese. Streamlight has always been in a top spot when choosing flashlights. Their 74751 Strion is a beast in this section.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/20 5:17 a.m.

Another vote for Streamlight

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IzIy227c99l5YEzOOzVarxKYuRRFjRy6XxDnVNU0KW2pThWMrJqtZq1r6aRf0B8P