MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/13/12 11:09 p.m.

Mosquitoes are in full force here in North Central Florida and it is getting ridiculous. Every time the dogs come in they bring at least 10 of them in with them. This evening the kids let the dogs in and not exaggerating in the least I killed 20 mosquitoes in the house after that. Big blood filled bastards at that. Walls looked like a miniature war zone. I have one of those propane fed bait having overpriced traps in the back yard and it is pretty much worthless. I have been tempted by Skeeterbag.com because of it's simplicity but couldn't bring myself to spend $20 on a mesh bag you hook to a fan. After killing 20 of the bastards in my house I was ready to give in so I checked the website. 3 days to fulfill my order and 5 days to ship. WHAT? I CANT WAIT 8 DAYS! I HAVE MOSQUITOES IN MY HOUSE! So a trip to Wal Mart, a broken sewing machine, and couple of hours later I have this:

I am a domestic mosquito killing GOD! (or at least I hope so)

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/13/12 11:15 p.m.

Stealing this idea.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
7/13/12 11:19 p.m.

How the heck does that work?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/13/12 11:19 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Stealing this idea.

It would work better at the end of a cage with a bunny in it.......but the wife says no.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/13/12 11:23 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: How the heck does that work?

Mosquitoes fly somewhere near the fan and get sucked in and pushed into the net. Once in the net they are unable to fly out because of the wind so they dehydrate and die. All the expensive ones work on the same concept but they use CO2 generators and baits to enhance the attraction. I know my back door has 5-10 mosquitoes hanging out on it at any given time and each dog will have another 5-10 circling them while they wait to come in. I hope that is bait enough.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
7/14/12 12:05 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
DoctorBlade wrote: How the heck does that work?
Mosquitoes fly somewhere near the fan and get sucked in and pushed into the net. Once in the net they are unable to fly out because of the wind so they dehydrate and die. All the expensive ones work on the same concept but they use CO2 generators and baits to enhance the attraction. I know my back door has 5-10 mosquitoes hanging out on it at any given time and each dog will have another 5-10 circling them while they wait to come in. I hope that is bait enough.

Huh. I'll have to copy that idea. Lord knows they like to vacation up here enough.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/14/12 7:24 a.m.

I hope the light's not there to attract the mosquitoes. If anything it will scare them away. Put smelly, dirty socks there instead. Seriously.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/14/12 7:35 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I hope the light's not there to attract the mosquitoes. If anything it will scare them away. Put smelly, dirty socks there instead. Seriously.

The fancy ones usually have some sort of flashing LEDs. It is amusing walking outside late at night and seeing what looks like a UFO in the corner.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/14/12 8:00 a.m.

That sure beats the 'spray the whole area' thing the towns etc used before. The problem was that what killed mosquitoes killed everything else, too. Including fireflies.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/14/12 10:16 a.m.

In upstate NY, we enjoy the black flies and "no-see-ums" aka punkies.

They haven't been too bad this year. Maybe because of the crazy spring we had.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/14/12 11:11 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: That sure beats the 'spray the whole area' thing the towns etc used before. The problem was that what killed mosquitoes killed everything else, too. Including fireflies.

They sprayed about 3 days ago, and the week before that. The city mosquito monitoring stations are getting 3x the normal levels for this time of year.

Sadly this solution isn't any more discriminate than blindly spraying. I will be getting the moths, etc...

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/11/21 10:23 a.m.

Blast from the past (with possible canoe appearance but link appears to be on topic so who knows!). RIP Curmudgeon. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
10/11/21 10:27 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

And iceracer

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/12/21 8:32 p.m.

Zombie thread huh?  
If anyone is reading this because of mosquitoes, get a bat house. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
10/12/21 9:10 p.m.

Even if its a Zombie ,  did the fan work ?

or have we figured out anything better in the last 9 years ?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/12/21 10:31 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Yeah. Don't  live in Florida. 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/12/21 11:58 p.m.

The HF electric fly swatter is an essential piece of gear around here.  $4.  We have several.  Makes killing skeeters much easier.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/13/21 7:22 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Even if its a Zombie ,  did the fan work ?

or have we figured out anything better in the last 9 years ?

It killed lots of flying things, didn't kill enough mosquitos to make a noticeable difference. We have since moved out of the city and the county doesn't do the spray. Apparently the spray made a difference because the mosquitos are even worse here. sad

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/13/21 7:23 p.m.

Oh-having a fan blowing on you does help. I have been under a car with the fan blowing and been able to look up into the wheelwell and see all the mosquitos sitting waiting for the wind to die down.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/21 8:10 p.m.

Get one of these. They are awesome. Thermacell Backpacker

Buy ThermaCell Backpacker Portable Mosquito Repeller Online

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 12:29 a.m.
MrJoshua said:

Oh-having a fan blowing on you does help. I have been under a car with the fan blowing and been able to look up into the wheelwell and see all the mosquitos sitting waiting for the wind to die down.

It's true. Mosquitos suck at flying.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QhhPSRCKAijVDLvsY4Oo0fkm9p2v9AeNOrWJH2ozIHFyrorLsXfgq3gtAAnsv7T4