1 2 3 4 5
Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
1/27/12 12:21 p.m.
Jeff wrote: My Costco jeans that I bought here in Canada are Canadian made. Maybe Costco's US jeans are US made? $13.95 And my ass looks terrific

This thread is worthless without pics...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/27/12 12:21 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I LIVE in Luckys. I've managed to destroy everything anyone else can throw at me (you name it, I have a totalled in less than 3 months pair in my closet) and The Luckys just hold up, and they fit awesome to me. I'd be hard pressed to find a pair I like better, regardless of the price or place of manufacture. Even the Chinese ones or wherever the hell they're from (I'm not taking this pair off at work... the ol' ladies in the cubes next to me might get pissed) seem to hold up well.... and when I get dirt or grease on em and it won't wash out... I can claim it was a limited edition pair or something and all the chicks swoon.

Strangely... i'm told Lucky makes a jean that fits exactly like the American Eagles i loved so much.

I may have to try them.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/27/12 1:31 p.m.
Lesley wrote:
Jeff wrote: My Costco jeans that I bought here in Canada are Canadian made. Maybe Costco's US jeans are US made? $13.95 And my ass looks terrific
This thread is worthless without pics...

I'll post when I get home. Or we could meet for a drink downtown

Grizz
Grizz Dork
1/27/12 1:39 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: The only $100+ pairs of pants I own was designed to keep my skin in-tact in a motorcycle crash or buy me a few seconds to get out of a race car before the flames consume me. Pants are a $30 item at Sears. You guys are nuts.
You're not in your 20s are you?

I am, still ridiculous to pay anything more than 30 bucks for a pair of jeans.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/27/12 2:02 p.m.
Grizz wrote:
MG Bryan wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: The only $100+ pairs of pants I own was designed to keep my skin in-tact in a motorcycle crash or buy me a few seconds to get out of a race car before the flames consume me. Pants are a $30 item at Sears. You guys are nuts.
You're not in your 20s are you?
I am, still ridiculous to pay anything more than 30 bucks for a pair of jeans.

I am. Just bought two pairs of jeans at Sears, too. One was Carhart (cause they will last) for $20, the others Lee's, which I can wear out, for $35. I refuse to pay more than that. The only reason I paid as much as I did was I needed jeans and had Sears gift cards.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
1/27/12 2:09 p.m.

I generally buy wrangler because they fit me better. Seem to run about 16 or so last I bought new.

I got yelled at by my mother earlier because I was wearing a pair of Faded Glory slacks I bought at clearance at Walmart bout 6 years ago, I think I've washed them three or four times in those six years. Which is actually a trick, because it wasn't my filthy pants that stunk, it was my boots.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/27/12 2:52 p.m.

Slightly off topic, but what the hell is up with sizing? It's not like womens clothes which are sized by arbitrary, imaginary numbers! They're sized by inches! A concrete, definable number. How is it that I can grab three pair of pants with a 34" waist and all three will fit differently around my waist?

Grizz
Grizz Dork
1/27/12 2:59 p.m.

I have no idea and have asked the same thing.

It does annoy me, because I have 38s that are tight and 34s that are loose.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/27/12 3:07 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: Slightly off topic, but what the hell is up with sizing? It's not like womens clothes which are sized by arbitrary, imaginary numbers! They're sized by inches! A concrete, definable number. How is it that I can grab three pair of pants with a 34" waist and all three will fit differently around my waist?

Rise height? Else they are just poorly labeled.

alex
alex SuperDork
1/27/12 4:00 p.m.

I've noticed a ton of variation in both denim weight/quality and size of Levis of the same style, sitting next to each other on the same shelf. I'm fortunate enough to have found my size/style for the past few years (527), but its getting to the point where I have to try on every damn pair before I plunk down money for them.

This might have something to do with the fact that I generally buy from Kohl's once every couple years when my need for jeans, money in my bank, and their sale all align. I understand discount joints like that tend to get the B stock.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/27/12 4:02 p.m.
Grizz wrote: I have no idea and have asked the same thing. It does annoy me, because I have 38s that are tight and 34s that are loose.

I currently have 4 jeans that fit me (only two that are fit to wear anywhere though). Sizes are 32, 34, 38, and 40. The 38's are a little big. Go figure.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/27/12 4:04 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Grizz wrote: I have no idea and have asked the same thing. It does annoy me, because I have 38s that are tight and 34s that are loose.
I currently have 4 jeans that fit me (only two that are fit to wear anywhere though). Sizes are 32, 34, 38, and 40. The 38's are a little big. Go figure.

28s seem to be pretty consistent.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
1/27/12 4:07 p.m.
alex wrote: This might have something to do with the fact that I generally buy from Kohl's once every couple years when my need for jeans, money in my bank, and their sale all align. I understand discount joints like that tend to get the B stock.

There's also pressure from certain discount joints to keep pushing the price lower and it can be enough that companies will buy and rebrand inferior products to meet those prices. The Dickies that I buy at WalMart are not the same as Dickies I buy elsewhere, they don't even use the same fastener at the top of the zipper (traditional button vs metal hook & loop).

grinch77
grinch77 Reader
1/27/12 9:11 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: Slightly off topic, but what the hell is up with sizing? It's not like womens clothes which are sized by arbitrary, imaginary numbers! They're sized by inches! A concrete, definable number. How is it that I can grab three pair of pants with a 34" waist and all three will fit differently around my waist?

I was talking to a sales lady at Sears about that and she said I must have grabbed a pair of Friday jeans.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
1/27/12 9:16 p.m.

i've noticed that with the cheap Wal Mart Wrangler jeans i usually buy that the black jeans fit the best at first but shrink in weird ways after a couple of washes- so by the time they start to fade a little and not have that annoying "new pants" look and feel they no longer fit me right. also, they button tends to fall out of the black pants after only a year or so and i have to get creative- i've gotten good at pulling the button apart, punching a new hole in the pants next to the original hole, and putting the button back on with a channel lock pliers with some super glue to hold it together to get another 6 months to a year out of my $16 black Wal Mart Wrangler jeans... the lighter blue jeans are similar, but not as bad and the regular dark blue jeans just stay the same..

and why the hell are we discussing the different styles of jeans on a website dedicated to cars? how did i get sucked into this? the only things that should matter are how well they hold up to grease and how long it takes the knees to wear out from crawling around under cars...

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
1/28/12 2:45 a.m.

I buy the made in mexico Lucky jeans, the chinese ones are pretty junky for how much they cost. The mexican ones seem nice though, as good or better than the USA made ones.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/28/12 5:01 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote: 28s seem to be pretty consistent.

Don't you mean non-existent?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/28/12 5:01 a.m.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
1/28/12 9:26 a.m.

My jeans would normally be characterized as a a "sail" by most of you, methinks... I'm lucky to find them at all, let alone in specific quality.

Where did I put my donuts?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
1/28/12 1:12 p.m.

Here in lies one of the problems. When I was in university (early 70's) I would buy Lee or Howick jeans for $10-11 per pair on a student's budget. Forty years later people won't pay $30 for a pair. I just came home from grocery shopping and looked at Wrangler prices at the same store. They're $16 today. As consumers we expect to get stuff for a third (in current dollars) of what we used to pay. My Dad's first car cost him a year's salary in 1952. That was for an Austin A40 with no heater and we lived north of Montreal ! Back when we made most of what we consumed in this country we paid for it with more manhours of our own earnings.We also had much, much less in possessions because of that, but I think we enjoyed what we did have more.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/28/12 1:36 p.m.

Easy solution to funky size pants, likely not made in the USA: Utilikilt. Bonus: you cannot wear the crotch out :p

Though I will say, Queen Margie HATES them.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/28/12 1:43 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: the only things that should matter are how well they hold up to grease and how long it takes the knees to wear out from crawling around under cars...

+100

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
1/28/12 3:42 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: and why the hell are we discussing the different styles of jeans on a website dedicated to cars? how did i get sucked into this? the only things that should matter are how well they hold up to grease and how long it takes the knees to wear out from crawling around under cars...

An honest answer, I would say its worth the difference between $18 walmart jeans and $30-$40 lucky jeans to not be uncomfortable wearing them all the time. lol If you want pants that the knees dont wear out the carhartt double knee parts are good, they really arent worth it otherwise though because the crotch wears out rather fast.

madmallard
madmallard HalfDork
1/28/12 3:45 p.m.

I have no problems sourcing from Canada, a representative government.

If we can't produce against a legitimate non-totalitarian state, then thats our own problem.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
1/28/12 4:21 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I'm pretty sure that damn near everything sold by Duluth Trading Co. is made in the U.S., and they sell their own branded jeans for ~$50/pair. I've got a few things of theirs and happy with all of it. Duluth Trading

I have several pairs of pants from there, in fact I am wearing some right now. I tried a pair of their jeans and there was just no way they would ever fit me. I sent them right back. Their everyday work pants work for me as do their fatigue firehose pants. I have only 1 pair of jeans right now and I bought them at Sam's club a couple years ago.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lnMJ68y2ahsSzlAeKwJHuAVnwcWjdunuG9gBMuRvL00h99RqLPmdNkv43aOgj7o7