1 2 3
SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/26/19 10:31 p.m.

That's assuming I actually have a correct angle measurement.  It -could- be that the LF is too much and the RF is on spec, but it could also be the LF is on spec, and the RF is too little. A small shunt (known) to the RF could have moved the lower control arm back, which made the RF less. I can't see how anything could cause an -increase- in caster. And to make it even more exciting, there is zero evidence of significant damage anywhere.  Some bumper/support damage to the RF, but no metal damage that I can see; no evidence of repair.

What I -can- say, is that I measured both sides the same way, so for sure a caster spread. I'm pretty sure I can shim the RF, but I'll take a closer look when I do the next oil change.

More caster is always better.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/28/21 9:02 p.m.

The car went in for its second air bag recall.

The first time, it came back with a fair bit of evidence of ham-fisted wrestling of the dash in and out of the car.

This time, more, plus a nice slice right over the passenger side air bag.  Not impressed.  I went back to talk to them about it, but i am not holding my breath that anything will come of it.

And today, got rear-ended by a young kid in a 90's JDM WRX.  Cool car.  His is completely mushed up front, the Infiniti has only some scratches.  Kid is begging me through email not to go through insurance, but I have no obligation to be nice.  I -can- provide some nice life lessons about paying attention to your driving.  My life lessons have included being screwed by people. So far no intention of replying to his emails. 

My dash cam records front AND back, which clearly shows him not looking where he was going. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/9/21 7:03 p.m.

Whilst changing the oil today, I also installed new rear shocks (KYB Excel from Rock Auto), and put the winter tires on.  It's a bit early, but I'm here, it's up, and it's pretty close to when I usually put them on.

I had also ordered a set of G35 AWD front Struts for the M35. M35x struts are PRICEY (dealer only??), but the interwebs seems to indicate the G35 will fit, but the spring perch is an inch lower. Rock Auto had a close-out sale of something like $12 each, so I figured I could experiment.

Today in investigating how the spring perch is attached, I was able to just smack it off its seat with a hammer - it's a press-fit. That means I can machine a simple spacer to raise the spring perch and we're in business!

I'll document this once I get started on it in a couple weeks/months.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/21 7:09 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

And there is predictions of snow in the passes.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/11/23 3:58 p.m.

Excitingly, the battery was showing signs of dying, so I replaced it.  Now it's dead.  Like D-E-A-D.  Okay, lights work, seat moves, horn honks, anything that does not require a key works fine.  But it's a "dead" car now.

Indicators are pointing to a fried Intelligent Key module.  That's $1065 Canadian just for the module.

I can't understand how I did this - I'm reasonably confident with things electrical.  I've disconnected the battery before with zero issues.  I've found ALL the modules, and all appear to be getting voltage as expected with zero key activity.  

Anyone got some Infiniti parts in their back yard?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/11/23 7:32 p.m.

Is this a push button start? Does it work if you use the key itself, assuming there is one behind the push button?

6/11/23 8:15 p.m.

Push button only, no key.

6/12/23 9:34 p.m.

Found another Intelligent Key module off ebay ($90CDN shipped).

Also bought "Datascan 2 Consult 2" software and cable ($100CDN) from ConceptZPerformance/NissCan so I can hopefully program a hopefully good Keyless Module if and when it arrives. I've never done this before.

SkinnyWife is driving SkinnyKid2's PT Cruiser to work now....

Note to self so I can find it again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gz16nu7rJU

7/13/23 7:56 p.m.

eBay I-Key took forever to get here, and turned out to be junk.

Bought a brand new one from Infiniti for $860 (list is $1065), and was finally able to talk to the car with my scan tool.

I was using a bluetooth TopDon "TopScan," which let me get the ECM active, and while I got the IMMO option active on the scan tool, it wouldn't program the keys for some unknown reason.

The Nissan DataScan II (NDSII) I bought wouldn't connect to the car at all, but allegedly also could program keys.

Eventually I was able to get the TopScan to wake the car up, pull the bluetooth dongle and connect NDSII, and then I was able to program the keys.  YAY!

For Sale: 2006 Infiniti M35x.

9/30/23 9:47 p.m.
11/6/23 10:26 p.m.

And now with the insurance running out today, and two Hyundai's to feed, the Infiniti is up for sale.

Thanks for all the fish.

11/18/23 8:12 p.m.

Young couple took it away today.  They seem in love with it.  I made my $1000/year goal with it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YnPqQ4VNMhfTFjmFpf8H3mTIWXtEQtBV4RBMi0drdOcZUS7T2dPzRJpRTv9HQSSK