Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/7/13 8:24 a.m.

I had been collecting some Home Depot cards to use on my vacation to replace my bathroom cabinet. The original cabinet was a screw together wardrobe kit from Walmart stuck into this opening. It wasn't deep enough to hold a bath towel, and was starting to fall apart. I built a new one out of plywood, and made the sliding door from an old wooden screen door we found at a local antique place. I filled in the lower openings with molding and plywood, and the upper on has plexiglass with a decal from Home Depot. I need to put something white behind it so you can see the design better.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
4/7/13 8:26 a.m.

Oooooh...magic disappearing door..................

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
4/7/13 9:05 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Oooooh...magic disappearing door..................

Witchcraft!

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
4/7/13 9:06 a.m.

Looks great. Is the door on a track or does it slide in a groove, I can't tell since on my phone.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
4/7/13 10:39 a.m.

Ya done good,boy!!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
4/7/13 10:45 a.m.

Looks great.
If that decal is on the front of the glass, applying another decal to the back of the glass may be the answer. For that second decal, something designed like "bathroom glass" will give you the opaque background you need.

Wally
4/7/13 10:59 a.m.

Thanks for the compliments. The door hangs on a Pocket door track but isn't a true pocket door. It just sildes into an empty space behind the wall. We hung some t shirts behind the glass to see what worked and white did the best job of making the image noticable. I think I am just going to paint a piece of scrap wood white and hang it back there.

Johnson's pocket door kit:

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
4/7/13 11:14 a.m.

Looks great Wally! I picked up two narrow doors for mine, but they don't quite meet. I'm either going to have to put some moulding in the middle to have them attach to that, or thicker trim on the frame they're attached to.

The glass doors are a really nice idea though, I might do that instead.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/7/13 1:10 p.m.

Daaang. That looks great!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/7/13 1:15 p.m.

Love pocket doors.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
4/7/13 1:56 p.m.
Wally wrote: Thanks for the compliments. The door hangs on a Pocket door track but isn't a true pocket door. It just sildes into an empty space behind the wall. We hung some t shirts behind the glass to see what worked and white did the best job of making the image noticable. I think I am just going to paint a piece of scrap wood white and hang it back there. Johnson's pocket door kit:

Very cool makes me wish I has thought of something like that instead of the bifolds

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/7/13 1:58 p.m.

Nice! Looks great! The g/f bought similar pocket-door kits for two closet doors. We have them roughed in but it'll be awhile before they're finished. Nicely made kits.

carzan
carzan Dork
4/7/13 2:42 p.m.

Awesome!

Edit: Must not let my wife see this.

gazlinvon
gazlinvon None
4/16/13 2:18 a.m.

Nice art. I like the way you fitted the sliding door. A door use as a sliding panel. It is looking very innovative renovation.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/16/13 6:29 a.m.
gazlinvon wrote: Nice art. I like the way you fitted the sliding door. A door use as a sliding panel. It is looking very innovative renovation.

I like the way you drive a bus.

(Ex)door looks nice.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/13 7:01 a.m.

Well done!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/13 7:23 a.m.

Looks good!

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/16/13 7:50 a.m.

If you move the dove hand lotion, you might be able to fit an LS7 in there. Just sayin'

Wally
4/21/13 9:13 p.m.

It's finally done. Not to bad for an old screen door. And so far none of the new plumbing is leaking either.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/22/13 12:04 a.m.

As someone who just bought an old house and is desperately trying to find unique ways of renovating it, I am bowing to the computer screen.

Nice idea. Good work.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/14/13 7:01 a.m.

That looks good man! I've always thought sliding doors are cool.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/14/13 7:55 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zILx2ljnNHzmTDBwHr4Dj7b3Vbb4w5sYVSqna1OVJxpl0vKVpkPJuMioxDWtcOBa