1 2 3
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/26/22 3:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to RevRico :

As opposed to measuring liquid in ounces?

Dry ingredients in mL is legit for amateur cooks, a litre is a measure of volume. Not just liquid, volume. If it helps, 1 mL = 1 cubic centimeter. But measuring cups are marked in mL, so, you don't see cc very often :) 1 cup = 250 mL(ish).  It's more accurate to use mass instead of volume but that's not how most people work in the kitchen.

I just associate grams with most kitchen measurements, especially dry goods. The majority of my baking recipes all use grams or ounces that I convert to grams, so seeing 500 mL of graham cracker crumbs was confusing to me. 

I honestly don't think I've seen a non liquid called for in mL before

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/22 3:15 p.m.

All you need is the density of graham cracker crumbs and you can do the conversion :)

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/26/22 6:10 p.m.
akamcfly said:
ShawnG said:

Alberta premium is rotgut.

Crown Royal all the way.

The opposite is, in fact, true. Crown Royal is the tilapia of hooch. Alberta Premium is actually Rye whiskey. Crown is a pleasant melange of cough syrup and anti-freeze with a splash of aftershave to round off the sharp edges.

Bingo - well stated

golfduke
golfduke Dork
1/3/23 8:17 a.m.

Asked my Ace Baker sister to make some of these over the holiday, and I've been slowly picking at the leftovers for a whole week.  They're sweet, but DELECTABLE. 

Once again, GRM forums deliver in glorious ways. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/23 11:30 a.m.

There will be a side by side comparison this weekend. I'm making Keith's recipe for Scouts Friday night, and might as well make the other with the custard powder and stuff too. 

Keith Tanner
12/13/23 11:43 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Definitely report back.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/23 1:32 p.m.

I'm afraid to post my recipe for Butter Tarts.  Talk about weight gain.

ralleah
ralleah GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/23 2:05 p.m.
golfduke said:

man, these look awesome.  Scale of 'Sets kitchen on fire any time I try to cook'- to- michelin chef, how hard are these bad larry's to make...? 

Natalie can help you here.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/13/23 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Post it NOW!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/13/23 2:44 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm afraid to post my recipe for Butter Tarts.  Talk about weight gain.

The simple act of posting the recipe is very unlikely to cause you to gain any weight whatsoever.

12/13/23 7:06 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Very wise words.  Let me dig for it.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/23 7:21 p.m.
RevRico said:

There will be a side by side comparison this weekend. I'm making Keith's recipe for Scouts Friday night, and might as well make the other with the custard powder and stuff too. 

Keith - Would you post your recipe again? I have the cookbook version from a few posts above but don't see yours.

RevRico
12/13/23 7:31 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

The one I posted on the first page is it, I just call it Keith's cause he posted it first. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/13/23 7:33 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
1988RedT2 said:

Another gastronomic curiosity from ethnic Canuckistan?

Where the heck does one find "custard powder?"

You used to have to go to the special store that imported food from England.  Now you can get it on Amazon of course:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MO8G28/

Back to this: How far off would Jello custard puddin be?  other substitutions?

12/13/23 7:41 p.m.

This Butter Tart recipe was imparted to me by a local baker, Rae Cook, in Sharbot Lake, ONT.  She made hers with lard in the crust (and they were heavenly) but I use butter.  If you do make them with lard you may need a touch more water since butter contains about 10% water.  She and her daughter had a shop for years called The Rising Bun, so naturally this recipe used to be about 10 times this size.  I had to pare it down for normal quantities.  They retired about 8 years ago.  After 20 years of my begging for the recipe, I at least got quantities and ratios which I was able to extrapolate.  Mine aren't as good as Rae's, but they're still pretty darned good.

FOR THE CRUST

• 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) very cold unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
  • ¼ cup very cold water

FOR THE FILLING

• ¾ cup (packed) dark brown sugar
  • ¼ cup maple syrup or corn syrup.   Note on the sugars here... You can technically just do 1 cup of brown sugar and skip the syrup, but the filling will be less smooth and more firm.  I swear by the 3/4 to 1/4 ratio.  You really need the glucose to prevent the sugars from turning into a lump of crystals
  • ½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.  Don't skip this.  You won't taste it, but it works with the glucose to make things super smooth.
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt

Make the dough with cold butter.  You can pulse it in a processor or use a dough cutter.  Cut 4-6" rounds depending on what fits, put in a cupcake pan.  Put the cups in the fridge while you make the filling. 

Don't over-mix the filling.  Just go until it's uniformly mixed.  Beating too hard will put air in it which makes the filling puff up during baking and then it will collapse into a toffee puck when you take them out.

Fill crust half way, bake 375F for 25 minutes

Keith Tanner
12/13/23 7:45 p.m.

I've been through Sharbot Lake many times. I'll have to try this. However, it needs either raisins or pecans in the filling. Preferably raisins. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/13/23 9:11 p.m.

Thank you sir.

lateapexer
lateapexer Reader
12/14/23 8:07 a.m.

Spent my early years in Sharbot Lake and there are butter tart versions with shredded coconut and raisins. Lard does make superb pastry. Sigh 

12/14/23 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

They do often have raisins or pecans.  To me, if you add pecans, you're just making mini pecan pies.  I love raisins, but I don't choose to have that flavor in my butter tarts.  I just want a fat-laden carbohydrate crust filled with sugar and more fat.  Raisins make it too healthy.  :)

The Rising Bun bakery was on the 7 beside the Beer Store.  It's now a Subway.  Ever stop at Jossy's chip truck and get poutine?  Jossy's opened a brick and mortar somewhere and ditched the truck.... good for them, not so good for me because I miss their grub.

If you happen to be through there again, stop at Gray's Grocery at the corner of 7 and 38.  They sell butter tarts under the name "Corner Store" or something like that.  They are wonderful.

Heck, if you're there in the summer, stop out to Crotch Lake and take a boat ride with me.

Keith Tanner
12/14/23 8:32 p.m.

Will do. 

Pecans aren't my first choice, but I do love those juicy little raisins to break up the filling a little. 

RevRico
12/15/23 11:26 a.m.

so obviously I'm not done making the recipe with custard powder yet, but you can see color alone is wildly different. 

Tasting some from the mixer bowl it is strongly vanilla flavored, versus just the sweet I get from the recipe on the first page. It was also much stiffer and harder to spread. 

I will report back with taste comparisons and side by side pieces this weekend

RevRico
12/15/23 1:55 p.m.

So two different recipes. The crusts are about the same. Big difference I notice is Keiths is made from crushed Graham crackers, the ultimate book from boxed graham cracker crumbs. I omitted walnuts in both. The ultimate book ones crust is lighter feeling. 

The filling. Keith's version posted on page 1 is much sweeter up front, the custard powder version is lighter, more vanilla flavored, but leaves a sweet after taste.

I think they both need more filling. But they're both good, and I would recommend trying them both. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/23 2:08 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Will do. 

Pecans aren't my first choice, but I do love those juicy little raisins to break up the filling a little. 

I keep downvoting your pro-raisin posts hoping when I reopen this thread that I see the "This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed" message lol.

Not that I'd turn down a butter tart with raisins, it's still a butter tart!

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/23 2:09 p.m.
RevRico said:

So two different recipes. The crusts are about the same. Big difference I notice is Keiths is made from crushed Graham crackers, the ultimate book from boxed graham cracker crumbs. I omitted walnuts in both. The ultimate book ones crust is lighter feeling. 

The filling. Keith's version posted on page 1 is much sweeter up front, the custard powder version is lighter, more vanilla flavored, but leaves a sweet after taste.

I think they both need more filling. But they're both good, and I would recommend trying them both. 

Science is hard some days.

Keith Tanner
12/15/23 4:32 p.m.
adam525i said:
Keith Tanner said:

Will do. 

I keep downvoting your pro-raisin posts hoping when I reopen this thread that I see the "This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed" message lol.

Not that I'd turn down a butter tart with raisins, it's still a butter tart!

Censorship! Oppression!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6YBLEaKJotbA4Nn1MzNXK54NaewiEGeHj5uJXrQU8l9hQPDmHDCozDuqWK3U2Lzz