1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/3/23 10:37 p.m.

Any crazy plans to watch or party down on Saturday?  Just interested in crazy fun on this thread.  

When Charles got married to Di a lot of my friends wives got up early to watch the wedding.  This Saturday the fun starts at 4:00am Chicago time.  I know we have DVR's but live is fun.

You getting up?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/3/23 10:58 p.m.

I do not share the perverse fascination some Americans have with our much-former rulers.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/3/23 11:02 p.m.

I don't have anything to add, other than I have heard Steve Winwood will be performing.  I will be camping and won't watch it live, but I will probably watch it later on Youtube.  

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/3/23 11:15 p.m.

Canadian here.

Queen Elizabeth has been our queen longer than I've been alive.

Now we're going to have King Chuck.

I feel like a lot of tradition is about to go away.

It feels (to me) like part of our country's history has gone missing.

Personally, I think Charles is a twit.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/4/23 12:31 a.m.

What?   Are they doing this AGAIN!?!   Didn't they just do this 70 years ago!  cheeky

Certainly a curiosity, that I am not paying for, but I hear something like 70% of the British are less than impressed with the crown with Chucky in charge.  I suspect there might be an uptick for the next one, maybe.

I will check out the highlights on the news, I am sure it will be all over it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/23 1:05 a.m.

Nope. I have no fascination with the royal family. None.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
5/4/23 7:12 a.m.

+1

I thought we fought a war so we wouldn't have to worry about this stuff any more.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 7:29 a.m.

Will there be guillotines?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 7:31 a.m.

Well, I didn't vote for him.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/4/23 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Some watery tart randomly distributing sabers is no basis for a system of government!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/23 8:19 a.m.

I'm like Duke and Appleseed- not interested in Royals.   They really don't add anything other than a person as part of the UK, and because of that, the media treats them more as a target- which got really, really old as I grew up seeing what they did to Diana.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/4/23 8:20 a.m.

Nope, no interest. But, hey, congrats to Charles, ya finally did it. I imagine there'll be a much shorter interval between this one and the next, than this one and the last one.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
5/4/23 8:29 a.m.
Duke said:

I do not share the perverse fascination some Americans have with our much-former rulers.

For some reason people love a dynasty.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 8:58 a.m.

Definitely not going out of my way to watch it, news about the royal family is a particularly silly form of celebrity gossip and I tend to actively avoid it. I'll probably end up catching the highlights whether I want to or not...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/4/23 9:18 a.m.

I wonder if we're seeing the decline of the House of Windsor.

Although there is legitimate critique for Elizabeth, she was quite stately. She was a stable institution unto herself that was widely respected. Charles does not have the love and respect that Elizabeth garnered. He does not have her charisma.

With increased drama becoming apparent from the royal family, it's pretty obvious that it is not an emotionally healthy place to be. Harry has made it pretty clear that he'd rather be pretty much anywhere (taking fire in Afghanistan) than England, especially Buckingham Palace.

Where does the monarchy go from here?

Maybe if Charles has a short reign, people will have more fondness for William and Kate? People like Diana and feel sympathetic towards her children.

I dunno. Don't have a horse in this race. Just casually wondering.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/4/23 9:22 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Well, I didn't vote for him.

This made me laugh out loud. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/4/23 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Windsor? We name the castle Windsor!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/23 9:35 a.m.

From everything I've been seeing online, even the Brits aren't too happy with the coronation. 

"Massive amount of struggling within the country, and these billionaire leeches decide to throw a massive party celebrating a thing that doesn't mean anything? Piss off" kinda vibes.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/4/23 9:45 a.m.

You couldn't pay me to watch it.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/4/23 9:48 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

Maybe if Charles has a short reign....

I feel like it's going to be by default. I mean, how old is the guy? He's no spring chicken. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/23 10:05 a.m.

*yawn*

Who?  What?  King?   No, we don't have that here.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/23 10:11 a.m.
aircooled said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

"Windsor" had a better ring to it than "Saxe-Coburg", especially during WW1.

I'm indifferent towards the Royals. As a history buff, that family has had a lot of influence, both good and bad, over the centuries, so from that respect they are interesting. But they haven't done anything relevant in 100+ years and basically function at this point as a tourist attraction for the UK. It's nostalgia for the British people to look back at when their empire was at it's height. And honestly, I get that. There's a reason we put up monuments here and have dead presidents on our money.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/23 10:16 a.m.
aircooled said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I have very fond memories of that Ford V-8.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/23 11:52 a.m.

ZERO. berkeleyS. GIVEN. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/4/23 12:17 p.m.
NickD said:
Beer Baron said:

Maybe if Charles has a short reign....

I feel like it's going to be by default. I mean, how old is the guy? He's no spring chicken. 

The man's only 75.  With modern medical technology, he could live for decades.  It's not like he's going to work himself to death.  cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XWdVBs2hZHvrwoNFpGpOhI3zzuzKHJIZQ0wSwfAm4xHBjdC2DHtRwK5SUz8lfSMO